C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Climate Control dim/dark display fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 07:37 PM
Cartman98
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent thread! It took me a while but having next to no experience soldering it was simple. I highly recommend having a tweezers available for when the parts move, which they will. Next I have to find out where to buy the little lights, only 4 of them work so that leaves 10 needing replacement.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:20 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Just found this post and it looks like it is an answer to the problem I started having today.

My question is - I am still covered by the GMPP, but wondering if they replace it with a NEW head unit if it would be any better? Or would it be better for me to perform this on my existing unit?

I don't see any explaination as to WHY this would appear on my car after 7 years of daily driving. Why would these soldered components start t0 come loose all of a sudden?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

Default Super Success & Definite Sticky!

Kudos to Genocid and the many others here, I had the "dim" problem, tried the "tapping/rapping" on the display (which worked a bit), so tried it full-force as outlined. I had removed it all before to install the white guage faces, so I raced through and did it all in about an hour. Couple of Install Notes: The small hex screws worked out with a standard socket (5mm I think); the soldering was a touch tricky, used a standard 40w iron, mini C-clamped (with rubber pads) a toothpick across the resistor tops to limit their movement and just set the soldering tip on each resistor end, adding just a touch of solder to each edge/end, a few resistors were even a bit crooked; magnify-glassed the result to be sure no solder crossed-over, found one had, then heated that away. Reinstalled it worked like new, just as bright as the stereo display. Thank you so friggin' much ... this was a great string .

Last edited by Thrash; 07-26-2007 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Forgot the "toothpick" part
Old 09-16-2007, 04:56 PM
yardstick0802
Intermediate

If it wasnt for everyone in the world having a vette with the same problems and this forum we would all be out of luck and probably out of money. Thanks guys!
Old 09-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Blorton
Pro

Thank you so much for posting this! I've been driving around for two years doing "guess" mode on the hvac. Took me less than an hour to do this fix, but I've had the console off before and have a nice soldering station as well.

Thanks again!

Dan
Old 09-25-2007, 10:48 PM
brookman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted this on the other huge thread about this :

Here are the pictures of the whole process:

I have a 2000 with the new style where the resistors are in the center.
Here are the Pictures:

http://www.brookins.us/accontroller/
Old 11-06-2007, 10:53 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Genocid
First and foremost, this is not my fix! I spent a while searching multiple forums on info on how to do this, and found it all in several places. All I'm doing is collecting the info I found to put it in one step by step place with minor footnotes of my own. I will list names and URL's to each area I found the info from, and if anyone would like their info removed I will gladly do so!

Just trying to save the next poor guy some time for looking all over and following all the various links from everywhere

Hope this helps!

For the first steps, find pictures and more detailed instructions where I did, at http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...zel_howto.html

Their list of tools is for a bigger job, you wont need all of the ones listed, you'll need others for actually fixing the control unit, and you only need to go to step 3g, no further for this section!

***If you have a convertible with the body colored "waterfall" you will have to remove it first. If not, skip this step. 4 screws total, size 15 torx screws, two on the top, one on each side towards the bottom. Just gently pull up to remove it.

Remove the console - Gently remove the Active Handling trim plate and wiring connections beneath it and to the console. Remove the 4 10mm nuts. Pick up only the back of the console to get it over the rear bolts, then slide it towards the back to get it out from the front bolts. The front is slotted to slide all the way out.

Remove the instrument trim panel - Gently pry out the trim panel to the left of the ignition switch, and remove the ashtray. Remove the 3 #15 torx screws. GENTLY pull the panel only a little ways! Back towards the top, and up at the bottom/back where 2 of the 10mm nuts were removed from the front of the console area (behind the shifter). Remove the cigarette lighter power. ***If it's a 6spd, remove the boot carefully, I pulled mine up, but this site says you can push it down also*** Once you've verified everything is free, carefully pull it out and set it safely aside.

Again, I highly recommend going to the following site http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...zel_howto.html for pictures and a more detailed step by step instructions for the above steps.

The following steps are not found at the above URL.

Now you have a clear shot to your Climate Control unit! There are only 2 screws holding it in place. I'm sorry I didn’t get the size of them, but they're easily accessible to test a few sockets to find the perfect match Remove the screws, pull the unit out a little way, and remove the connector in the back. Pay attention to the connector, there's an area you have to press to release the clip to be able to pull it out.

Now that you have the unit out, take it to a safe place, preferably the clean worktable you will be finishing the work on it

Carefully remove the 4 screws on the corners holding it together. They are small, and have very coarse threads, so use a hand screwdriver style tool preferably, NOT a drill, if you only have a ratchet set, just be very careful not to over tighten it when you're done!

The following was ninja'ed from RPOZ4Z at Corvette Forum http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1316227&page=2 on page 2 post # 24. Thank you VERY much RPOZ4Z for putting words to sight so I knew what the hell to solder!!!

There is a 2nd variation of this board, which is the one I found in my 01 convertible. Thank you EnglandGreen for posting the other kind of board as seen below! http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1316227&page=3 Same thread, page 3 post #50

On both boards, it's very easy to unplug the power board from the front of the unit to work on it. And on either board, what you're looking for is those little black guys with "241" printed on them. I used a Cold Heat soldering gun I got from Radio shack an hour or two earlier in my then together car The tip it came with was not ideal, but it finally got the job done!

I tried to see which seemed loose and only solder those few. Don’t bother trying, either you wont be able to tell, or you'll break them off looking for the loose ones. I fixed the 2 obvious ones, and went out to the car to try it, but only got a very dim light. When I went back and soldered more they were practically ALL broken on one side

Be careful to try and hold them in place so they don’t move if you happen to solder the good end first. I had one come completely off the board, and it was very hard to get it back on. I eventually wound up putting solder on the contacts on the board first, then putting the chip back on and soldering, it was a pain. I just rested the back of a tiny jeweler’s screwdriver on them to keep them in place, it doesn’t take much.

When you finally have them all done on both sides, carefully put the unit back together. Be sure to line up the pins on the back cover, and be careful with the small coarse threaded screws. I put them in the hole, turned them backwards until I felt where the thread was and then gently screwed them in until tight. You do not want to torque them at all, it will be obvious when they're tight and you're against the circuit board. Same with the screws that hold the casing together.

Now before you put everything back together in your car, make sure you turn the ignition on to make sure it lights up! You don’t need to start the car, just put it in the on position. Assuming everything works, CONGRATULATIONS! Follow the steps in reverse order to put everything back together, reconnect all the electrical items, and make sure not to strip or over tighten anything. One thing I did notice is the screw behind the ashtray seems loose when you're putting it back together at first. It's just the nature of the clip. Once the dash is in position and you snug it up it will get tight.

Now that I know what I'm doing, it really is a quick job! If you read up and study the pictures first, it should go pretty smoothly long as you or someone you know can solder ok

Cordless Coldheat Soldering gun - $19.99
4 pack AA batteries - $3.99
.022 dia High Tech Rosin Core Solder - $3.99

Saving $500 and a day spent at the dealership with no car - priceless!

-ALSO!!! If you DONT want to risk soldering it yourself, try a local reputable electronics expert. Long as you can show him what's broke he can probably fix it. Or if you have time to wait for mail have an expert do it for you!!! I don’t know this person at all, I just found the following in my search!

From member rws.1 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=David+Ruberg post #2

and from member widewheel http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=David+Ruberg post #3

I personally needed the soldering equipment to fix a headset as well, and plan to use it in the future so for me it was worth it. But if you're concerned, don’t have the equipment, $45-$50 to have someone do it and warranty it vs. $28 in equipment sounds like a pretty darn good deal!!! Looks like he gets rave reviews to boot!

MUCH thanks to everyone that did the legwork everywhere to get all this great info out there, I hope this makes it easier to find and read through all the various steps!
XLNT all the way!

Thanks,Matt
Old 11-14-2007, 02:01 AM
pslea
8th Gear

Originally Posted by strlw
I now have a HVAC unit that the background lights will not go off and it is draining my battery. Does anyone know what the prob might be? I have tried to find the problem but I cannot seem to get these lights to go off.
Did you ever solve your problem with the lights on all of the time?
Old 11-17-2007, 12:06 PM
FLYBOY18
Advanced

Default Another happy customer!

Add me to the list of happy folks who made the repair and can read the display in daylight. 45 minutes from opening the door to completion - would have been shorter if I hadn't dropped a screw down the carpet beside the tunnel!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Jeff Wilson
Safety Car

Worked like a charm! Thanks!
Old 12-21-2007, 11:01 PM
RLYSLO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

looks like I have a project for this weekend. my display has been going from dim to bright, etc, for a couple weeks now. I thought maybe they installed a new feature where the intensity of the display changed with the music j/k but looks to be a pretty simple job. I just had my center console off last weekend fixing my cigarette lighter, so I should have done it then.

thanks for a great writeup!
Old 01-01-2008, 07:05 PM
red88L98convert
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

awesome thread. i cleaned my garage today and decided to work on the vette's dim problem since i am out here. it took about 20 mins. start to finish plus i was able to clean the schmutz from behind the surrounds!!
now i know what's going on temp wise.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Speedfreak804
Advanced

Great info did mine today in about 45 min. Thanks Corvetteforum.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:12 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rws.1

Moderators.... sticky time

thank you for your service to the forum.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Apache IP
6th Gear

I've had my 02 for almost a year, and the climate control display has never worked; I'm in Iraq right now, but I'm going to perform this fix as soon as I get home in two weeks, thanks a bunch!
This Forum Rocks!!!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:42 PM
red88L98convert
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Apache IP
I've had my 02 for almost a year, and the climate control display has never worked; I'm in Iraq right now, but I'm going to perform this fix as soon as I get home in two weeks, thanks a bunch!
This Forum Rocks!!!
dude, thank you sooooo much for your service. if you were close to me (clovis, ca) i would do it for you. it would be the least i could do for a patriot like yourself.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Mr.TT
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '15-'16

Fixed mine too! Only burned one finger in the process.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Climate Control dim/dark display fix

Old 01-26-2008, 03:30 PM
blackvette4670776
7th Gear

Default help

I fixed my display, it's all bright now and only got one burned finger. But 13 of the 14 little lights are burned out. Radio Shack didn't have them. Car Quest may. Do the dealerships sell those little things?

If I understand correctly I must solder in all 14 new bulbs before I will know if they actually work since it is a continuous circuit????
Old 01-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by blackvette4670776
I fixed my display, it's all bright now and only got one burned finger. But 13 of the 14 little lights are burned out. Radio Shack didn't have them. Car Quest may. Do the dealerships sell those little things?

If I understand correctly I must solder in all 14 new bulbs before I will know if they actually work since it is a continuous circuit????
While your in the module,,,you might as well replace them all. If you really only want to fix the bad ones, you can use an ohm meter and read the resistance of each bulb to make sure it is good. As long as you have continuity, your all set.

Bill
Old 01-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Apache IP
6th Gear

Genocid, you are my new hero! got home from Iraq on Wednsday, performed this "fix" on Friday, and now I am thrilled with my working climate control display; Thanks a million bud!

Quick Reply: C5 Climate Control dim/dark display fix