C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braided fuel line removal - HELP, please

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 10:37 PM
94legaleagle
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Braided fuel line removal - HELP, please

I did a search, and I found 3 posts on topic including this one:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1060573

and it seem's I'm doing everything right, but I still can't get the braided fuel line off of my fuel rails.

2001 Coupe - I've removed the clip do-hicky and set that aside - I've got a 3/8 fuel line removal tool (not a GM one), and I can fully slip the removal tool into the female end of the coupler - but I still can't get the coupler to disconnect from the fuel rail -

It seems that the female coupler will move the same amount forward and back with the 3/8 disconnect tool installed, as what it does with the tool NOT installed - If I fully seat the disconnect tool in the coupler, then I CAN'T get the coupler to slide off -

Does the 3/8 disconnect tool slide into the female coupler, and then both the disconnect tool and the coupler slide off the fuel rail? If so, i can't do this for some reason.

If not^^, I can insert the fuel disconnect tool into the female coupler, and slide the female coupler back a little, but it doesn't come off

I know it shouldn't be this hard, but what am I doing wrong?

I've tried pulling hard, and I don't want to pull any harder for fear of breaking something.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks, Bill.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Threed
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds to me that you are doing everything correctly. You are correct in that the tool slides off with the coupler. I am not sure as to what size tool this takes. The only thing that might be wrong is that your tool is not the correct size. On mine when you slide the tool into the female end of the hose it slides off easy. No twisting, wiggling required. I'm just thinking that if your disconnect tool is a tad small it isn't pushing the locking tabs back far enough to release the hose.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:16 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

are you using the OTC GM fuel line disco' tool? Napa or the SnapOn truck will have them

I can ck the pn of the tool Sat. at the shop if needed

Last edited by SteveDoten; 01-05-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:30 AM
HeadHunter1
Instructor

Let me see if I can describe how I generally get these things apart. Assuming you have the right size tool for the line, push on the line as if you were trying to make it go on further, while holding it there, push the line release tool into the fitting. Obviously this will take two hands as you will be squeezing together. You should feel the tool click or move into the fitting.

Sometimes the fingers inside the fitting get stuck on the flange on the line and pushing it tighter will allow you to get it off.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:31 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadHunter1
Let me see if I can describe how I generally get these things apart. Assuming you have the right size tool for the line, push on the line as if you were trying to make it go on further, while holding it there, push the line release tool into the fitting. Obviously this will take two hands as you will be squeezing together. You should feel the tool click or move into the fitting.

Sometimes the fingers inside the fitting get stuck on the flange on the line and pushing it tighter will allow you to get it off.

I didled with mine for a while and this is how it finally came off. I bought the tool at Autozone and it isn't very good.

I would be interested in the Snap-On part number mentioned by Steve since I am prepping a new order right now.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:49 AM
94legaleagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vettenuts

I didled with mine for a while and this is how it finally came off. I bought the tool at Autozone and it isn't very good.

I would be interested in the Snap-On part number mentioned by Steve since I am prepping a new order right now.
Hey Steve, can you post the Snap-On number for the removal tool? I'm using a cheap Checkers auto parts store generic 3/8 tool which came in a kit w/ everything from a 5/16 to a 3/4 removal tools - cost me about $11.00 - I'm doing everything just like everyone describes above, and I can feel the tool "click" into the female end, but then the tool does NOT slide off w/ the female end - I might try tapering one edge of the tool to see if it helps slide over what I presume are "barbs" on the end of the male line - otherwise, I'll get the Snap-On tool and try that if you post the number -

Thanks, Bill.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:20 AM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

I had the same problem, only it was with removing the outlet line from the fuel filter. Basically, none of the plastic fuel tools I had would work, so I went back to the store and got a set of aluminum fuel/AC line removal tools and the fuel line came off in seconds.

Are the tools you have now plastic or aluminum?
Old 01-06-2007, 05:07 PM
94legaleagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nuke61
I had the same problem, only it was with removing the outlet line from the fuel filter. Basically, none of the plastic fuel tools I had would work, so I went back to the store and got a set of aluminum fuel/AC line removal tools and the fuel line came off in seconds.

Are the tools you have now plastic or aluminum?
PLASTIC
Old 01-06-2007, 07:31 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 94legaleagle
PLASTIC
Well, my experience is that the aluminum fuel disconnect tools work much better than the plastic ones. I think I paid $17 or so at Autozone for the set of 4 aluminum disconnect tools.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:16 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I also had trouble using the plastic ones. The Snap-on tool made the fittings snap off. Piece of cake.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:46 AM
bdiddo
Burning Brakes

It will take a little bit more effort with the cheapos but it will work (mine is from Checkers). You are doing it correctly however if it is the first time the line has ever been removed it, I found it to be pretty stubborn. It took me quite awhile and a good effort to get it off the first time. Seemed like it wasn't catching all the prongs inside the coupler. As others commented, the aluminum fitting would probably work better especially the for the first time getting the line off.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:56 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

with everyone above except that the tool will stay put on the fuel rail after the line comes off.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:46 PM
108C6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i u have an air compressor try cleaning the fitting by blowing the fitting clean with an air blower some times fine dirt builds up not letting the retainers release hope this helps

Get notified of new replies

To Braided fuel line removal - HELP, please

Quick Reply: Braided fuel line removal - HELP, please