C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak from Oil Pan Gasket and Maybe More?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 09:12 PM
2001 Red Coupe Bandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil Leak from Oil Pan Gasket and Maybe More?

I noticed oil on the bottom of my oil pan several months ago when I changed my oil. Then during a dyno while looking under the car. There seems to be some oil from around the bottom oil pan, around the gasket. There was a drop coming out of the oil screw, but I tighted it and that seemed to stop. It looks like somehow when I drive oil is leaking and getting slung somehow and ends up coating the bottom of the oil pan.

I was told it also possibly was leaking from somewhere above the oil pan, don't remeber the name of it, but it is hard to tell until they really look at it. Also I was told that if it is a Leak at the Top as I menyioned above, the entire front end has to be dropped to change that gasket and this is expensive. Take like 8 hours of labor just to change the upper gasket. AGain, not sure what this is called.

There is NO OIL leaking on the ground ever so that is a good sign. I was low 1/2 a quart and added some oil.

The oil pan gasket swap looks to be pretty easy, just 7-8 screws/bolts, but if it is More it could be big problems $$$$$$

Has this happened to anyone: An Oil Gasket Leak,......AND how did you find exactly where it is leaking fromand how did you fix it. . I hope it isn't leaking from the upper gasket

Thanks

Bandit................................
Old 01-07-2007, 11:56 PM
bluebody
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure its not the front seal. (The one arond the crank pulley bolt.) I had a oil leak thought it was comin from the front of the pan but my crank pulley came loose tightened it and all is well, just glad it didnt tear the seal up.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:40 AM
Real Enthusiast
Instructor

Like was said above check the front timing cover seal first. Also, I may get a little flack for this, but there are a lot of seals that slightly leak. My rear diff to tranny seal leak ever so slightly. I too have a tiny bit of oil at the back of my oil pan. If it isn't dripping, I would just keep an eye on it and make sure it dosen't really appear to be leaking too much. Again some may say this is bad advice, but everyone has an opinion.

I would be willing to bet the 1/2 quart low you were is because of oil coming back through the PCV system and not from the leak. Pull your intake off and open the throttle body blade and see if there isn't some oil on the bottom of your intake manifold.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:35 AM
willyfastz
Pro

Check the front pulley bolt to make sure it isn't backing out. If it is it oil will leak out as the pulley will back out also. This will coat the bottom of the oil pan like your describing.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Leak from Oil Pan Gasket and Maybe More?

Quick Reply: Oil Leak from Oil Pan Gasket and Maybe More?