C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front leaf spring removal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 03:48 PM
slayer6x6
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Front leaf spring removal?

Well after snapping the seized bolt off in the front leaf spring, I think now its time to get the leaf spring off and try and work with this thing on the bench. Does anybody have a how to on removing the front leaf spring? I want to make sure that the spring is not going to get violent when I start unbolting things.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There may be an easier way, but when I was installing my coil overs, obviously my shocks were removed... the car was in the air and the only thing I had to undo at that point were the bottom four 13mm bolts holding the leafspring in place.

I wouldn't do this without unbolting the shocks, if I recall correctly (my memory is fuzzy) with the shocks in there, there was some load from the spring on the control arms. With the shocks gone, the control arms just hung low and the spring wasn't putting any load on them.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:07 PM
slayer6x6
Burning Brakes

Ok, thats easy enough. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2007, 05:22 PM
bcseitz
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This will make it easy for you. I used this when I installed my ZO6 springs.
Bob
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=20
Old 01-11-2007, 08:35 PM
slayer6x6
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys, I ended up just letting the lower control arm swing down to allow room to get the spring out.

I do have another question though....

I keep reading about guys taking the front bolts out to lower the car, but how are you supposed to get this bolt out without removing the spring?

And on a side note, I removed the bolts and bushings and now I'm getting some suspension noise up front. I'm going to try and get some bushings between the spring and the control arm to quiet this down.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:20 PM
bcseitz
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slayer6x6
Thanks guys, I ended up just letting the lower control arm swing down to allow room to get the spring out.

I do have another question though....

I keep reading about guys taking the front bolts out to lower the car, but how are you supposed to get this bolt out without removing the spring?

And on a side note, I removed the bolts and bushings and now I'm getting some suspension noise up front. I'm going to try and get some bushings between the spring and the control arm to quiet this down.
The noise is probably the spring draging back and forth on the control arm as your bouncing along on bumps.
I had to drop the lower control arms to get the bolts out. But since the car didn't drop any lower without the bolts (with the heads cut off), I put the bolts back.
Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Front leaf spring removal?

Quick Reply: Front leaf spring removal?