C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End inside tire wear normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 03:00 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Front End inside tire wear normal?

I just noticed that there is considerable more tire wear on the inside of both front original tires. My car has 13,600 miles and no accidents or hard bumps which would cause it. I do corner hard so is that a normal wear pattern for a Corvette? I know on family sedans that is not normal but I am thinking maybe GM has it spec'd that way for good handling. I just ordered 4 new Goodyear GSD3's and wonder if I should have them align it when they put the new tires on?
Old 01-13-2007, 03:11 PM
drbvac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The camber on he front is fairly agressive so that the cars will corner with more adhesion on the front tires. This causes them to wear like yours are. I wore a set of Goodyear F1s to the belts on the inside and the outside still had 8/32 of tread. You can straighten up the wheels a little on the next alignment and search this thread for lots of info on alignment specs, to even out the wear.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:26 PM
MTurnbo
Burning Brakes

New tires are always a good time to do a four wheel alignment. Especially if you're not liking the wear pattern you're seeing.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:32 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

drbvac thank you for the info. MTurnbo it's not that I don't like the wear I am seeing just wondering if it is normal. If having the tires wear more even sacrafices cornering I want to leave it alone. Besides, I hate to have them mess with it and possibly screw it up specially if it is normal wear.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:43 PM
pro1955
Pro

I dismount my front tires and swap from side to side at about 20k to get more life out of the inside tire wear. I gives me more tire life for the cost of dismount and balance. I had the car realigned when I replaced the clutch and have it checked every couple years, I run Z-06 specs.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:00 PM
gpracer1
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

My tires did the same thing. I lowered my car and didnt align it. It was kinda twitchy over ruts and wore the inside of the tires. Just aligned it yesterday and it is much better. You can visually see the camber difference and I must have gained 1/4" of ground clearance, because I dont scrape on the driveway at work now.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:14 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not normal for a street alignment on the inside. The outside should show wear from hard cornering. Hard to have great wear and great handling. You need to find a compromise if that is what you are looking for. Vette Brakes Products has a sheet showing different alignments for different application. They have a sticky at the top of AX RR section.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Scott Farmer
Advanced

If you're wearing more on the inside, it could be several things:
1) Check your toe settings. Front wheel toe, combined with negative camber kills tires. People will disagree with me, but you can run a lot of negative camber without unduly adverse inner tire wear if you also run 0 toe. It's a darty setting though; the car tramlines like crazy.

2) You're not cornering hard enough, often enough to wear out the outer edge commensurate with the inner edge. Since you say that you corner hard often, it's most likely #1.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:42 PM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 21 Posts

Agree with John, definetly not normal. Most likely to much negative camber. Run flats are particularly sensitive to camber because of their stiff side walls. If it is mostly driven on highways try to keep the camber as close to nominal specs as possibe, which is -.02 degrees. Also, note that if you have toe out you will wear the inside edges.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:57 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Factory specs, especially the Z06, allow for lots of negative camber.
Good for handling Bad for tire wear

My Z06 came from the factory with a full degree of negative camber. I backed mine off to -1/8 deg. to get reasonable tire wear on the street.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:08 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Thanks all for the responses. I will have it aligned and have them check for excessive negative camber and run 0 toe. I do love the way my car corners so I hope they don't mes it up.

Last edited by craig04c5; 01-13-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-28-2022, 01:00 PM
RedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

Old thread- sorry 🫣🤯but a few good comments here - hope this can help others too.

Are you guys still seeing inside tire wear even with mid range toe and camber settings?….or should I ask for low end settings or even a 0 toe setting? Thinking about new tires in a few months and I do have this inside wear but like the ride and handling now. What do you ask for (street driving only)🤔?

Last edited by RedC5; 07-28-2022 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2022, 01:57 PM
oharal
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts

If you combine camber and toe you're going to eat up the tires. More Toe = more tire wear. I run 0 toe in the front for this reason and just enough in the rear to keep it settled when I get froggy. For reference I have them max out the camber up front, then get as much caster as they can get without costing any camber. My front tires wear perfectly across side to side.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:44 PM
RedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by oharal
If you combine camber and toe you're going to eat up the tires. More Toe = more tire wear. I run 0 toe in the front for this reason and just enough in the rear to keep it settled when I get froggy. For reference I have them max out the camber up front, then get as much caster as they can get without costing any camber. My front tires wear perfectly across side to side.
Awesome! Just what I want hear - thanks! This helps alot 👍🏻

Last edited by RedC5; 07-28-2022 at 09:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Front End inside tire wear normal?

Quick Reply: Front End inside tire wear normal?