C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! ABS and Traction System Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 12:11 PM
Sleddriver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP!! ABS and Traction System Problems

I was driving on a bumpy road this morning and my C5's ABS and Traction System idiot lights came on. The DIC flashed "Service Traction Sys" and "Service ABS" warning messages. Any ideas on what kinds of problems might cause these messages? I don't want to go to the dealer "blind".

Thanks!!
Old 10-03-2001, 05:12 PM
C6VETTE4FUN
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: HELP!! ABS and Traction System Problems (Sleddriver)

I had this issue last year, I will forward there finding and replacment parts
when get home, I have it in one of my folders.
Old 10-03-2001, 10:09 PM
MGNETIC
Advanced

I posted this same problem but got no response. This problem started on my way home from the dealer with a new car. Problem was sensor in the steering column that compares the car direction to wheel input. Factory defect that took most of a day to replace. For some reason the air bag coil then went out after it was all put back together and this took another 1/2 day. I need to check if this car was built on a Monday.
Old 10-03-2001, 10:54 PM
MikeyD
Burning Brakes

Default Re: HELP!! ABS and Traction System Problems (1stC5)

I had that exact same symptom only mine was temperature related. It only happens when the outside temperature is less than 35 degrees F. You go figure. I didn't pursue it any further as the outside temp started getting warmer and the problem went away. I know it will come back when it gets cold again. If I remember right, it sets a code that had to do with the wheel speed sensors. In my case, it must have something to do with the contraction and expansion of insulation and wires with the changing temperature. I know this really didn't help but at least you know you're not alone. :yesnod: After the car sits for awhile and you restart the car, is the problem still there? If not, then you can get into the codes and see what was set. Come back to the forum with the codes and someone here can point you in the right direction :cheers:
Old 10-03-2001, 10:58 PM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

What are the fault codes???
Old 10-04-2001, 01:59 AM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: HELP!! ABS and Traction System Problems (C-5 TECH)

Had to have the trac control/abs computer replaced on mine when I had 1500 miles on it. 10000 miles later, no problems. Same message on DIC. Good luck!
Old 10-04-2001, 02:17 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Default Re: HELP!! ABS and Traction System Problems (MikeyD)

Mikey,
The 97s had an ABS problem that showed up very rarely. The Delphi electronic controller had a design problem that would cause the phase lock loop to break lock under certain conditions. This would cause the ABS system to fail. This failure caused me to lose several sets of racing tires because it would only occur on my car when I was autocrossing. Needless to say I severely flat spotted the tires. GM engineering released an upgraded design about the time the 97s went out of production. It took a year before the part number showed up in the system. Once it did I had the controller replaced under warranty and my problem went away. Since failures of this type were rare your controller may still be the one that originally came in the car. I can't remember the part number any more but you may want to check into it with your dealer. The two controllers are only used on the 97s so there won't be a lot of part numbers.
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!! ABS and Traction System Problems

Quick Reply: HELP!! ABS and Traction System Problems