C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default tranny questions

Has anyone ever added Lucas Transmission Fix to an A4 before? Is this compatible with a synthetic blends, mine has royal purple in it. I am curious about this b/c in my truck I was having problems with the tranny not shifting and took it in to a shop where they flushed the complete system, dropped the pan and cleaned it and then put in a new filter. After all that it would shift but was still revving very high and shifting very hard.... before taking their advice and start in on pullinng the tranny and start a rebuild I poured in a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix and it was instantly like a new with easy and smooth shifting. It shifts even more smooth than my 2000 A4 coupe... so how about adding this stuff into the vette tranny...JUST ASKING... to see what the experts would have to say and to see if anyone else has tried this....

thanks ahead of time,

Sully
Old 03-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 372 Posts

i had a ford diesel truck that the trans started to shift very hard and i ended up putting in 2 bottles of the lucas additive. i could tell a little difference with 1 bottle and added the second which settled down the shifts pretty good.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:56 PM
whiplash 1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know the procedure for adding trans treatment fluid on the C5?
Old 03-05-2007, 01:56 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not easy, the fill/drain plug is on the transmission and you have to get it up high enough to crawl under. I haven't done it, but now know where it is LOL. Knowing the correct fill level is not easy ethier, the trans needs to be at operating temp and I think you have to put it into drive at some point.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default ???

so no one knows any negative side effects to this additive. I mean it works great in my 700r4 which is very similar to the 4L60E. Yes, to add this you must gain access from under the car and have a way of pumping it up into the tranny fill hole.

Sully
Old 10-11-2010, 12:35 PM
DJ_USMC
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sully1882
Has anyone ever added Lucas Transmission Fix to an A4 before? Is this compatible with a synthetic blends, mine has royal purple in it. I am curious about this b/c in my truck I was having problems with the tranny not shifting and took it in to a shop where they flushed the complete system, dropped the pan and cleaned it and then put in a new filter. After all that it would shift but was still revving very high and shifting very hard.... before taking their advice and start in on pullinng the tranny and start a rebuild I poured in a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix and it was instantly like a new with easy and smooth shifting. It shifts even more smooth than my 2000 A4 coupe... so how about adding this stuff into the vette tranny...JUST ASKING... to see what the experts would have to say and to see if anyone else has tried this....

thanks ahead of time,

Sully

Please PM me if you try this stuff. I am in the exact same boat as you and would like at least one real testimonial before I put this stuff in my car. Thanks.

DJ
Old 10-11-2010, 04:31 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,253 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DJ_USMC
Please PM me if you try this stuff. I am in the exact same boat as you and would like at least one real testimonial before I put this stuff in my car. Thanks.

DJ
Sorry I don't buy this............
assuming you have a real problem in your tranny Pouring fluid
and masking a problem .............
does not fix the problem.
I have enough experience to not believe in fairy tales.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Kevin Kuse
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have rebuilt many Transmissions that have Lucas and other such additives in them. The additive will cause the seals to expand to a point when you remove them there is now way it would ever fit back inside! I would not put that stuff in a good transmission! Adding that stuff to a transmission that is not working correctly, only if you what to hide something. It will not fix any problem but it will hide the symptoms! If you broke your arm you can take pain pills and it won’t hurt, but that doesn’t mean yours arm not broke! Just because a transmission is not working correctly doesn’t mean it is a major problem! Have it checked out correctly!
Old 10-12-2010, 10:56 AM
DJ_USMC
Advanced

Originally Posted by road pilot
Sorry I don't buy this............
assuming you have a real problem in your tranny Pouring fluid
and masking a problem .............
does not fix the problem.
I have enough experience to not believe in fairy tales.
I'm with you all on this. I don't believe in the "quick fix" type stuff either. I hate to hijak this thread, but since I'm under fire here I'll explain my situation. I bought a 99 w/ 125K miles in it in June. I am a car guy and wanted a strong running project to mess around with. The only mechanical issue is that the auto trans shifts from 1st to 2nd pretty hard. I'm guessing syncros, but I am certinaly not a transmission guy. I don't have the cash for a trans replacement/rebuild right now, but plan to have that work done over the winter. I though some trans fix type bandaid would smooth it out unitl the rebuild.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Kevin Kuse
Racer

Originally Posted by DJ_USMC
I'm with you all on this. I don't believe in the "quick fix" type stuff either. I hate to hijak this thread, but since I'm under fire here I'll explain my situation. I bought a 99 w/ 125K miles in it in June. I am a car guy and wanted a strong running project to mess around with. The only mechanical issue is that the auto trans shifts from 1st to 2nd pretty hard. I'm guessing syncros, but I am certinaly not a transmission guy. I don't have the cash for a trans replacement/rebuild right now, but plan to have that work done over the winter. I though some trans fix type bandaid would smooth it out unitl the rebuild.
Do you have an Auto Trans or Manual Trans (Syncros)

If it is an automatic, a hard or firm 1/2 maybe what the TCM is commanding! You need to have it Scanned & Checked out! If the TCM is seeing some problem it will try and protect itself by boosting line pressure. Resulting in a harder 1/2 shift. Find out if there is a problem first. Then you can make an informed choice! Also if you medicate & hide the symptoms it will make it harder to find & fix correctly later!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 01:05 PM
DJ_USMC
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kevin Kuse
Do you have an Auto Trans or Manual Trans (Syncros)

If it is an automatic, a hard or firm 1/2 maybe what the TCM is commanding! You need to have it Scanned & Checked out! If the TCM is seeing some problem it will try and protect itself by boosting line pressure. Resulting in a harder 1/2 shift. Find out if there is a problem first. Then you can make an informed choice! Also if you medicate & hide the symptoms it will make it harder to find & fix correctly later!!!
Thanks for the advice Kevin. Its an automatic. I will try to find a good shop around here. Will any tranny shop work or should I find corvette people?
Old 10-12-2010, 01:36 PM
manley845
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sully1882
so no one knows any negative side effects to this additive. I mean it works great in my 700r4 which is very similar to the 4L60E. Yes, to add this you must gain access from under the car and have a way of pumping it up into the tranny fill hole.

Sully
What Kevin Kuse has posted is on line.

The additive itself will not hurt anything. Meaning, if you put it into a 'good' tranny it will do just as its designed. But, if you add it to a failing tranny, it will 'hide' the problem but not fix it. It will 'puff up' the seals which helps restore shift quality, but if they are worn and showing symptoms then the problem will still need to be addressed at some point.

The newer autos are designed to maintain a set shift 'style'. Guys have added shift kits to 4l60e and 4l80e transmissions just to find out that the computer commanded the soleniods to compensate and restore original shift characteristics. So if you tranny has something that is causing abnormal shift quality that the computer cannot adjust for, then you can bandage it, but will probably need some form of repair later.

*** This response is my OPINION based on personal experience, college classroom training on transmissions, work experience, and from what others have told me about their own experiences***

Please do not quote me as I have stated that these are my OPINIONS and only OPINIONS

Thanks and I hope you get your baby feeling better
Old 10-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Kevin Kuse
Racer

The Transmission itself is basically the same as all 4L60E! The way it is installed into the car is like no other! Any shop that qualified for transmission repairs can check & advise. Find someone that you’re comfortable driving your car. But I would look for someone with experience with Vettes to do the Work!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 01:45 PM
manley845
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Kuse
But I would look for someone with experience with Vettes to do the Work!!!

I'd like to replace the clutch in mine, but don't have the time and really don't trust anyone around here to do it. Dealership I guess, but I don't like their inflated prices over the other shops I've priced. Luckily it doesn't really need a clutch yet.

Get notified of new replies

To tranny questions

Quick Reply: tranny questions