C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code 1286 Steering Sensor Bias Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 03:57 PM
jjk2509
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Code 1286 Steering Sensor Bias Malfunction

My car keeps tripping the code 1286 Steering Sensor Bias Malfunction.
Everytime I start the car the DIC reads service engine soon. Once I reset the DIC, the information goes away until I start the car again.

I took the car to the dealer and they say I need to replace the steering sensor for $480 plus the sensor. How difficult is it to replace the sensor?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:15 PM
DashingDaryl
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had this problem, and it infuriated me. Is there any chance that you did anything new with your steering wheel latley?

The sensor guages how much you have turned the steering wheel at any given time, so it knows how to control the steering depending on your speed. With your car parked and the wheel straight, it should have a reading of 0. If by any chance you diconnected your steering shaft to do some work and then turned the wheel, your readings would be off.

The sensor is inside the cabin down under the dash. You can add a volt meter and see what it is reading. If you have the factory service manuals, it tells you how to do it.

I ended up not chaning mine, because it was more work that I could handle. Good Luck!
Old 03-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

It is a simple fix, you just have to be nimble. The light blue center wire at the base of the steering wheel should show about 2.4V If it is around .25V need to take out the bolt at the steering box and turn the wheel to the right 360 deg. if it is 4.9 then turn to the left.

The key needs to be in the ON position to measure voltage.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:41 PM
jjk2509
Pro

I took the steering bolt out when I did the head and cam mod. I must have moved the wheel at that time.

I appreciate your help. I will give this a try.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Ducati749
Racer

watch out for the rubber boot attached to the firewall; surrounding the steering shaft. If it comes off it can be a real pain to put back on. I had my bro apply back-pressure on the boot on the re-install, after spending about an hour getting the thing back on. There must be a trick i don't know of......
Old 03-08-2007, 06:53 PM
JR_VETTE
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Mid-TN Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I had the exact same problem. Turned out the plug on the sensor had worked its way loose. I'd suggest you take a look at it. It's mounted to the firewall inside the cabin at the base of the steering wheel. It's a bitch to replace, luckily I didn't need to worry about it.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:51 PM
jjk2509
Pro

Originally Posted by Gordy M
It is a simple fix, you just have to be nimble. The light blue center wire at the base of the steering wheel should show about 2.4V If it is around .25V need to take out the bolt at the steering box and turn the wheel to the right 360 deg. if it is 4.9 then turn to the left.

The key needs to be in the ON position to measure voltage.
Rather than trying to get down to the wire to determine the volts, what about turning the steering to the right 360 deg. If that does not work, then turn it 720 deg. the other direction.

The old trial and error method.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:27 PM
JPCCDD
Racer

it doesn't work that way at all. there is no internal stop in the steering wheel and it can cause serious problems if it were off (airbage mechanism could fail). i have the same problem with the code showing up and checked my voltage and its right on 2.4 so the sensor must be intermittently working. oh well. not worth the money to replace it.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:58 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by jjk2509
My car keeps tripping the code 1286 Steering Sensor Bias Malfunction.
Everytime I start the car the DIC reads service engine soon. Once I reset the DIC, the information goes away until I start the car again.

I took the car to the dealer and they say I need to replace the steering sensor for $480 plus the sensor. How difficult is it to replace the sensor?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You must mean Service Vehicle Soon as it is not an engine problem. If you turned the steering wheel while it was disconnected from the rack then you need to turn it back to the original location. The C5 is not like old fashioned cars and the steering wheel position is used to determine the correct action to take when applying the ABS system, the Traction Control System or the Active Handling System.

The dealer should have been able to identify if the sensor was bad or the steering had been turned.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Code 1286 Steering Sensor Bias Malfunction

Quick Reply: Code 1286 Steering Sensor Bias Malfunction