Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Karl Chevrolet

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 03-08-2007, 07:49 PM   #1
evo2ls1
CF Senior Member

Default Vortex Intake

I Have A 1999 Frc With A Vortex Ram Air Intake The Filter Looks Dirty And I Want To Clean It Can This Filter Be Cleaned Or Do I Have To Buy A New One I Am Goin To The Track Tmrw And Want To Clean It Before Then. If It Can Be Cleaned What Do I Use To Clean It. Thanks For Any Help.
evo2ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
jeanlucpicard
CF Senior Member

Depends, do you have a K&N filter or a factory paper filter in the box? Either way you can use your air coompressor and blow a lot of the dust and dirt out of the filter adequately to reuse for a day at the track.

I would definitely go with a K&N filter setup if you do not already have one. I use 2 filter sets so I can wash / clean one set and let the oil spray dry out while the 2nd set is on the car.

Good luck.
2001 Torch Red Vert, MN6, H/C, Kooks headers, 418 RWHP 399lbft Torque, VBP Extreme front / rear springs, T-1 Bars, 3.90 rear, FAST 90mm, LS2 TB, Track Road Race; 2007 Silver C6 Z06 - and yes, I do all of my own work!
jeanlucpicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
hotwheels57
CF Senior Member

Diluted SIMPLE GREEN is safe enough to use on any of the aftermarket synthetic or cotton gauze filters if you don't have or run out of the manufacturers recommended cleaning solution. The cleaning solution gets used up faster than the oil.
You should use the specific manufacturers recommended oil. In other words, don't use K&N (cotton gauze) red colored oil on a BLACKWING (synthetic media) blue filter...different filters usually require different oils or you might damage the media/change media color. You should not use compressed air to clean a cotton gauze or synthetic media air filter. That's clearly stated in their instructions.
hotwheels57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:33 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page Vortex Intake