C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper arm removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 08:13 PM
bowtiebubba
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiper arm removal

Trying to replace the winshield cowl and need to remove the wiper arms.It says in the manual that to do this you need a wiper arm removal tool,which i dont have.Has anyone done this without the tool?
Old 03-24-2007, 08:59 PM
chasswartz
Instructor

I have done this without any special tools. There is a plastic cap,which I removed with my fingernail,which exposes the nut holding the wiper blade in place. Remove the nut and rock the wiper back and forth, it should come off.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:18 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

If you want to pull the wiper arms without putting force on the shaft, you can use any small puller. The old top post battery terminal puller will work or I have seen a special wiper arm puller that has a fork that slips under the wiper arm on each side of the shaft, then a screw that tightens down on the center of the wiper arm shaft.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:50 PM
littleed
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i needed the tool u can get it at advance really cheap. just remember to tape the position of the windsheild wipers on the windshield to get the position right.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:02 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Anybody have any tips for installing a new motor after yours has gone on the fritz? In other words I will not be able to stop the wipers at a predtermined place on the windshield like the intermittant park position...
Old 03-25-2007, 09:16 AM
bowtiebubba
Melting Slicks

Does the wiper arm need to be in a certain position before its removed?
Old 03-25-2007, 06:49 PM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The manual says to stop the blades in mid swipe by killing the ignition, then R&R....
Old 03-27-2007, 11:36 AM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default wiper arms

I removed the drivers side wiper arm after removing the plastic cap.
When I replaced it it I used what I thought to be sufficient force on the bolt. NOT SO. Running the wipers the arm SLIPPED and required more torque in tightning than I felt was necessary. I was really thinking "I'M GONNA BREAK THIS DAMN BOLT OFF REAL SOON" Got it REALLY TIGHT and hope I NEVER have to do this again. BIGHANK
Old 03-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Todd157k
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When I did the write up on oil pressure sensor, and removed my wipers, I had to lightly tap on them and wiggle them a little to free them. No, they don't need to be in any particular position, just put them back in the same position (masking tape on the window works good). After a tap or two with a rubber mallet, and a wiggle, they pull off very easy.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:13 PM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I just finished installing my new motor.

Kinda dropping this post as a reference if anyone searches under windshield wipers.

After it rained recently, I had the possessed wipers symptoms, i.e. wipers would undock, then redock and make funny noises while doing it. Then they decided to work all the time. Then they decided to refuse to work. Then they decided to work on their own when I'd turn left. Then they decided to work only in the highest intermittent, low, and high speeds, while refusing to dock when turned off.

Bought the $39.99 autozone motor replacement; comes with the circuit board. First motor from autozone was dead. Returned it. Second works perfectly. Kinda pissed I had to remove my wipers twice and wait an extra 3 days for it to come in.

My wiper arms were pretty attached to the posts. I removed them with a small gear puller + PB Blaster. It required a decent amount of torque on the puller to get mine to pop off.

re: reinstall, I let the motor cycle until 'park', then... the best way I can put it is: 'unpressed' the spring loaded locking shaft, turned the cam about 180*, then bolted down the shaft, with the 'lock' against the little stop. The wiper ball joint, the main shaft from the motor, and the indentation on the cam will pretty much line up when you do this. The autozone wipers have this configuration pictured.

Installed remaining gear, including wipers, which were installed at their 'docked' position.

Cycled once, the wipers returned to a position about 1/2" too high. Loosened the D/S wiper, turned it to its dock, tightened its bolt; kept the slack out of the linkage by putting torque on the right wiper in the opposite direction while positioning/tightening the driver's side. Cycled once, verified left one 'docked' properly. Then loosened right one, put it at its dock (actually lifted it up and positioned it about 1/8" past to ensure a snug fit), tightened it.

Work perfectly now.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:55 AM
kg54trains
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the first step is to determine when the wiper go ape s-it and should it happen after a good amount of water is introduced to the event then check the three drains on the drivers side and one drain on the passenger side. if these drains get full of debris then the motor is being flooded everytime it rains or you wash the car. if the problem is a drain and it is cleared it might save you the trouble of a new motor
Old 05-22-2007, 02:05 PM
shannanl
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced my motor on my lunch break. The arms are easy to get off. Pop off the cap and under there is a 13mm (I believe) nut. Remove this and wiggle the arms and they will come off. One of mine required quite a bit of wiggling and pulling but it did come off. The motor is easy to replace. My motor too was doing crazy stuff. One of the udders was completely clogged, the other two were fine. I will keep the udders clean from now on.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:50 AM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I have to retract any endorsement of the autozone motor. Had my second one die yesterday. No the udders aren't blocked. Lifetime warranty = free replacement, but it's still ~2 hours out of my weekend.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:44 AM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrojunky
I have to retract any endorsement of the autozone motor. Had my second one die yesterday. No the udders aren't blocked. Lifetime warranty = free replacement, but it's still ~2 hours out of my weekend.
Try NAPA. I think they generally stock / sell high quality products, or go to the General himself for the new motor.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper arm removal

Quick Reply: Wiper arm removal