C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunvisor Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 02:49 PM
JonLuvsVettes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunvisor Removal

I am trying to replace my pass side sunvisor. I read the instructions in the tech tip. The bezel/unit will not turn counterclockwise. Is there a trick to it or an alternate method? TIA
Old 04-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Icemanskis
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

move sunvisor all that way to the right, so that it is facing out the pass window. take a flat head screw driver and stick it into the small slot at the part where the visor attaches to the pillar. then while pressing firmly upward with the screwdriver, rotate the sunvisor back toward the left into its normal position. it should release at this point. by the way, getting the visor to fall is the easy part. after that you can enjoy trying to get the power clip unhooked. i hope your saturday and sunday are free
Old 04-14-2007, 03:42 PM
JonLuvsVettes
Racer

Thx ICEMANSKIS! I will post back in a couple of days after the job is done!
Old 04-14-2007, 06:15 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had both of mine replaced under GMPP. I didn't realize they were that much of a PITA to remove.

I also couldn't believe they cost ~$100 each.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:44 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Icemanskis
move sunvisor all that way to the right, so that it is facing out the pass window. take a flat head screw driver and stick it into the small slot at the part where the visor attaches to the pillar. then while pressing firmly upward with the screwdriver, rotate the sunvisor back toward the left into its normal position. it should release at this point. by the way, getting the visor to fall is the easy part. after that you can enjoy trying to get the power clip unhooked. i hope your saturday and sunday are free
I should have read this 60 minutes ago I tried rotating the passenger side towards the pass. window. It didn't move and the plastic was destoyed with the screw driver. I yanked it then grabed the remains with the pliers. Did save the clip for future use of some restorer. I gave up the past 3 years not wanting to destroy it. It was coming out tonight if I had to sawzall the entire corner of the frame off.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:58 PM
JonLuvsVettes
Racer

I am now destroying the plastic. I understand and am following Icemanskis' instructions, but the plastic piece is not turning. WD40 or something similiar? Would that even help? I am almost ready to take it to someone out of fear of me tearing up a more expensive part. HELP!!
Old 04-16-2007, 02:52 PM
drbvac
Instructor

The plastic shroud or circular thing is about 30 bucks ca at a dealer and I have seen the entire visor setup on ebay. I have taken motors out easier than getting the damn things off and should do a search on the site cause I am not sure you dont turn the passenger side opposite the way to the drivers. In other words, you may have to put the screwdriver in the slot with the visor down in the forward position and turn the entire thing TOWARDS the window , but I could be wrong. It ended up all smashed to hell when I finally got it off anyway and I also broke the wires off inside the visor. The clip on the wire up inside the frame has a little clip on it that you have to lift up to seperate the two wires.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=80&TopicID=1

http://www.vettemods.com/Installation.htm

has a link as well.

Last edited by drbvac; 04-16-2007 at 02:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Sunvisor Removal

Quick Reply: Sunvisor Removal