C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have 4th and neutral.... and that's it!

Old 04-24-2007, 09:52 AM
aweil
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default I have 4th and neutral.... and that's it!

My car (2002 Z06) messed up today on the way to work... my transmission is stuck in 4th or neutral, and grinds when I put it back into 4th even with the clutch depressed. I can start from a stop but have to slip the heck out of the clutch. I have a ram dual disc clutch, new slave with LAPD remote bleeder and mcleod adjustable master.

The troubling thing is that when the trans is in neutral, I can't move the gear shifter left or right, that is it stays lined up with 4th gear and I can't move it to where it would go into 1st or 5th.....

Any ideas? I'm pretty bummed out!
Old 04-24-2007, 10:09 AM
VetteTech81
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aweil
My car (2002 Z06) messed up today on the way to work... my transmission is stuck in 4th or neutral, and grinds when I put it back into 4th even with the clutch depressed. I can start from a stop but have to slip the heck out of the clutch. I have a ram dual disc clutch, new slave with LAPD remote bleeder and mcleod adjustable master.

The troubling thing is that when the trans is in neutral, I can't move the gear shifter left or right, that is it stays lined up with 4th gear and I can't move it to where it would go into 1st or 5th.....

Any ideas? I'm pretty bummed out!
Probably a bent shift fork.. time for a tear down..
Old 04-24-2007, 10:35 AM
UAE-Vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all that Horse power you only need one Gear :P Anyone remember the old BMX bike One gear and still lots of fun
Old 04-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Has there ever been any tranny work done? The only thing I can think of is that maybe the guide pins in the side of the tranny have backed out... but that shouldn't happen if the tranny has never been apart.

Honestly, I can't picture why you'd be stuck in the middle gate. The shift linkage is fairly complex and the only thing I can imagine is one of the guide pins came out???
Old 04-24-2007, 02:10 PM
aweil
Pro

Originally Posted by Blue Angel
Has there ever been any tranny work done? The only thing I can think of is that maybe the guide pins in the side of the tranny have backed out... but that shouldn't happen if the tranny has never been apart.

Honestly, I can't picture why you'd be stuck in the middle gate. The shift linkage is fairly complex and the only thing I can imagine is one of the guide pins came out???
It is stuck in the middle gate, but it won't go into 2nd....
Old 04-25-2007, 09:20 AM
cenzo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just when you thought you've heard everything....
Old 04-25-2007, 11:16 AM
aweil
Pro

I have the transmission almost ready to come out... just have to undo the 4 fasteners that hold the rear suspension to the car and it's showtime!
Old 04-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Let us know what you find!
Old 04-25-2007, 07:16 PM
lowcell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please post up....mine is doing the same thing now. i will be pulling mine out this weekend.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:02 PM
gpracer1
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I would check for loose shifter bolts first.....its easy to check under the console.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:56 AM
aweil
Pro

I was lazy yesterday, only spent about 20 minutes working on it... the diff is out, just have to disconnect the transmission from the torque tube...

Anyone know if there's a trick to getting it off with the linkage from the shifter?
Old 04-26-2007, 09:59 AM
aweil
Pro

Message from a local T56 rebuilder - granted, he hasn't seen the transmission yet, just heard the symptoms.

"Yup, I know exactly what it is. The 3/4 slider wore too much, and went too far into 4th. When that happens, the syncro keys actually pop out of the syncro, break, then make it impossible to move the slider. It's nothing major to fix, you just need a new 3/4 syncro and probably at least one blocking ring, maybe both."

Get notified of new replies

To I have 4th and neutral.... and that's it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I have 4th and neutral.... and that's it!