C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Turn Signal/DRL light???

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 11:08 PM
-Blue Vette-
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Turn Signal/DRL light???

I'm trying to replace my turn signal bulb. When I pop down the front brake duct I can feel two wires. I followed one of the wires and pulled the light out. It was clear, but the dude at Autozone gave me an amber bulb and it's bigger than the clear bulb.

I'm I pulling the right bulb for the turn signal? Are there two different bulbs?
Old 05-12-2007, 12:19 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

there is a clear side marker bulb and an amber turn signal bulb in the front lamp housing.the amber one is a 3057 , the side marker clear bulb is much smaller.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:07 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The DRL bulb is a dual filament bulb as you can see from the replacement. It has 3 wires into the socket: a blue/white wire which is the live feed for the T/S filament, a brown wire which is the live feed for the parking light filament and a black wire which is the common ground. The bundle that you found is the side marker light further round the cluster which only has two wires running to the lamp socket.

The method of changing the DRL bulb that works for me is:

Turn on the headlights and back off one position to kill the lights.
Unscrew the 3 small screws on the black plastic housing around the headlight. Gently pull the housing clear. Reach down around the headlight unit and release the bulb holder. It unscrews counter clockwise but it has a plastic clip which you need to squeeze to release it. Change the bulb. Reseat the bulb holder and turn until it clicks back in place. Put the plastic housing back in place making sure to locate the small plastic tab in the bracket on the headlamp cover. Replace the 3 screws and close the lights.

Some guys with big arms remove the hood adjusting screw for better access.

The advantage is that you can see around the headlight (just) and it makes the job a little easier.

A 4157NA also works
Old 05-12-2007, 07:59 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

The 4157 is in most crossover catologues...
when I pulled mine I found it to be an amber 3057
Old 05-12-2007, 12:40 PM
-Blue Vette-
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took the the front lamp shroud off and was able to change the bulb. I was almost able to get it through the front brake duct, but removing the lamp shroud did the trick.

Get notified of new replies

To Changing Turn Signal/DRL light???

Quick Reply: Changing Turn Signal/DRL light???