C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Shifter Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 01:16 PM
mtdoragary
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boodieman
Here are a few tips I can suggest after replacing the grommet on my shifter:

1) I purchased the Dorman "Pedal and Shift Linkage Bushing Kit" (p/n 14041) from Advance Auto for about $7. There are 4 different sized bushings in this kit and I used the one which was 2nd smallest.

2) When working thru the top cavity after the shifter ***'y is removed, it is a very good idea to place a rage down under the end of the shifter linkage to keep from losing anything that may accidently drop down. I dropped a small screw driver and had to use a magnet to retrieve it. If you lose your grommet/bushing down that hole you may never see it again.

3) Before you begin removing what is left of the old bushing or inserting the new one, the job becomes easier if you get under the rear of the car and advance the link on the transmission from "PARK" to "Drive" or "2nd" gear. This moves the shifter end of the linkage (under the console) forward and allows you to pull it more toward the top of the cavity. otherwise, I don't believe I would have been able to install the new bushing or snap the linkage onto the bottom of the shifter's ball.

It is now installed and working correctly. Thanks to everyone who added detailed information to help me with this repair process!
I take it you installed the bushing into the plastic housing before squeezing it back onto the shifter pin? Did your **** crevice tighten up as you worried that the old plastic housing would crack while you were squeezing in the bushing?
Old 09-19-2012, 01:37 PM
mtdoragary
Instructor

I installed the new Dorman bushing into the banjo end of the shift cable and then squeezed it back onto the shifter pin, snug as a bug. But now I notice that there should be a bushing in the transmission end of the shift cable as well. It's missing and it's as sloppy as my 93 Dodge's steering! None of the bushings in the Dorman kit will fit, regradless of how much grindiing and shaving I do. Anyone know of a bushing that will work on the tranny end of the cable?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:40 AM
GoBallsDeep!
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post

^Isn't it the same bushing? I remember just getting a used bushing from some Firestone or something repair shop for tranny end. It was a really tight fit. I took a knife and put it in the center hole of the bushing and just twisted til it opened the hole a bit.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:31 PM
mtdoragary
Instructor

Originally Posted by GoBallsDeep!
^Isn't it the same bushing? I remember just getting a used bushing from some Firestone or something repair shop for tranny end. It was a really tight fit. I took a knife and put it in the center hole of the bushing and just twisted til it opened the hole a bit.
Not the same, and NONE of the bushings in the Dorman kit are even close. I'm getting the oversized pin kit that of the Vendors makes to deal with the problem.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:46 PM
GoBallsDeep!
Racer

mtdoragary..please post what you did to fix to your problem... Too many times I've searched to find an answer and left with the OP never responding to the result

Last edited by GoBallsDeep!; 09-20-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:07 AM
mtdoragary
Instructor

mtdoragary..please post what you did to fix to your problem... Too many times I've searched to find an answer and left with the OP never responding to the result
What more can I say? I followed the previous posts and replaced the front bushing using the Dorman bushing kit. I had to remove the cenetr section of my Corsa pipes and the belly pan. I'm waiting for the oversized stud kit for the rear from the Florida vendor - Automatic Transmission Factory. It was about thity bucks with shipping.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:23 PM
GoBallsDeep!
Racer

Nevermind..I googled it. Was just curious about the "oversized stud kit".
Old 09-21-2012, 04:17 PM
mtdoragary
Instructor

products@danielsternlighting.com
fat to fill the space left by the disintegrated bushing.
Nevermind..I googled it. Was just curious about the "oversized stud kit".
Old 10-09-2012, 01:09 AM
ob1cr2d2
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c5 shifter cable fwd bushing replacement

my cable came off on me to the bushing fell apart and had to trailer the car home. I knew there would be some great info on the forums. The best help you can get. I did buy the dorman kit (actually 3 Kits)I got the shifter apart and the new bushing in the cable then after soomtime thinking about getting under the car and removing the exhaust and plate to attach the cable to the shifter I had another ? why didn't chevy put a acsess panel on the side of the tunel.I know it sounds bad but what if it happens again. I removed the seat and pulled the carpet away from the tunel and covered up the insulation and drilled a 2in. hole in the side of the tunel then modified a small c clamp so I could squeez it back on. Then made a cover for the hole and layed down some dynamate. Took about 2 Hrs most of the time trying to reinvent the wheel.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:07 PM
360Rocket
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

my C6 fell victim to this and I was right in the middle of my road getting reasdy to back into my drive/garage when it happened. My sons helped push it into the garage. I am off to advanced auto.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:30 PM
360Rocket
Drifting

Originally Posted by YomasterScott
Man I love this forum!! Saved me another couple hundred dollars!! You Guys and Gals rock!! Keep the good info flowing!!
I couldnt have said this any better! I was ready to call a tow truck and send it to my trusted mechanic in the morning. Thank you all.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:37 PM
360Rocket
Drifting

Dammit, so much for saving the couple of hundred dollars. Put the bushing in with ease but the cable is so bent up I need to go ahead and replace the whole thing on Monday.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:21 PM
360Rocket
Drifting

My lesson learned from all of this is to NOT go thru the shifter to fix this. Just get it on a lift, pull the x pipe and belly pan and the job is completed in 2 minutes. It took much longer to put the console back together and gave me more frustration than any other step in this process. Good Luck!!!

Last edited by 360Rocket; 08-07-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:38 AM
rotorboys
6th Gear

Default Replaced shifter bushing from center console

I was able to install the bushing from the center console. I pressed the Dornan bushing (2nd smallest in the kit) onto the shifter, moved it to the furthest aft position and slipped it into the cable cavity--then squeezed them together with channel locks. Thanks for all the good information!
Old 12-11-2013, 03:18 PM
WHITLTNG
Advanced

Originally Posted by whiteboy444
Alright. I replaced the broken bushing that connects the shift control label to the shifter. The shifter feels a bit firmer, but I noticed almost a 45 degree bend in the shift control calble, right before it disappears into the car.

I'm guessing this is not supposed to be bent? So I'll have to replace the shift cable?
Did you ever get an answer on this? same thing is going on with me!! Not broke at either end, but looks bent!
TIA

Wes
Old 01-15-2014, 06:58 PM
psint
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACDELCO-OE-SERVICE-12561688-Transmission-Shift-Cable-Auto-Trans-Shifter-Cable-/390668608380?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2000%7CMake%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3ACorvette&hash=item5af5a9e37c&vxp=mtr
EBay is a wonderful thing. $61. Free Shipping
Old 01-15-2014, 07:35 PM
WHITLTNG
Advanced

Originally Posted by psint
wow!! They got another one??

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic Shifter Failure

Old 04-20-2014, 04:31 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Who sells the oversize pin kit or whatever needed to make this bulletproof.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:43 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Boodieman
Looking from underneath the car, the transmission linkage looks fine. Connection is intact. Time to begin removal of the console...

And there it is. Disconnect between shifter and cable end. Appears a new Dorman plastic grommet should do the fix.
Anyone have a picture that shows where the cable attaches to the shifter?

I have the console removed and not sure if you are removing the entire shifter to see where the cable connects or if there is another location.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:28 PM
Caveboy
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Quick Reply: Automatic Shifter Failure