C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstein Sports - ride height?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 07:21 PM
SLO C5
Race Director

Location: Are you fat because you're lazy or lazy because you're fat? San Jose, CA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09
Default Bilstein Sports - ride height?

I recently did some tubwork on my car to fit 19x13 CCW 505As in the rear. I also purchased the LPE mini-tub shock hardware from forum member who didn’t need it. For those that are unfamiliar with the shock parts of the mini-tub kit I’ll summarize the function of the two parts:
1) shock spacers:~7/8” spacers that slide onto the shock rod limiting the upward travel of the rear suspension to keep the wheels from hitting the tub/wheel well.

2) shock mount relocation bracket: this part has a deeper hat pointing away from the ground, where the stock mount has an extrusion going the toward the ground. This effectively limits the shocks uncompressed length, keeping the upper control arm from hitting the inside of the wheel.

I’ve done a good amount of homework on the topic of Bilsteins and ride height, and found some conflicting info. Some say their car dropped some, while others say it rides higher, and some say it stayed the same. This confusion is enhanced more by the fact that the supsension takes some time to settle after it’s been lifted up.

Because I’m cutting it so close on control arm/fender clearance, I really need to know what the Bilsteins, combined with the LPE shock hardware will do to my ride height.

I’m not sure if the rear has been lowered or not(got the car 10 months ago), because I have trouble believing that the .5” OD larger tires(345/30 19s so really only .25” less fender gap) would make the gap I have as small as it looks right now. I think there are ~5 threads showing on the rear bolts, how many are showing when it’s at stock(and I’m assuming) maximum height?

I just ordered the shocks because I have not yet installed the LPE shock parts. But now that I know I must put the hardware on(because it rubs right now) I might as well replace the stock shocks. You know how it goes, “while it’s apart I might as well do xxx….”
Old 06-01-2007, 11:59 AM
SLO C5
Race Director

Location: Are you fat because you're lazy or lazy because you're fat? San Jose, CA
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Anyone?
Old 06-01-2007, 12:53 PM
BlackBoosted2
Instructor

Mine took a little time to "settle", it initially raised the ride height. I'm sure my OEM ones were getting a little soft/saggy due to age though.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:03 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

Originally Posted by SLO C5
I’m not sure if the rear has been lowered or not(got the car 10 months ago), because I have trouble believing that the .5” OD larger tires(345/30 19s so really only .25” less fender gap) would make the gap I have as small as it looks right now. I think there are ~5 threads showing on the rear bolts, how many are showing when it’s at stock(and I’m assuming) maximum height?
It's been lowered. You can always raise it up if needed.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:42 PM
DefenderC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We can raise yours up when we lower mine
Old 06-03-2007, 02:44 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Your car might have been lowered a little, but not to the max. It can go all the way to no threads showing. I have Bilstein Sports on my Z which is lowered to the max on stock bolts. Initially when changing over from stock shocks at the current ride height I was concerned that the shocks raised my car slightly. However, after some miles they settled back down. I guess the tires can occasionally hit the wheel wells, I do have some rub marks, but nothing serious enough to be concerned about. It could also have to do with the fact I have 18"x11" CCW Classics on the rear.

Get notified of new replies

To Bilstein Sports - ride height?

Quick Reply: Bilstein Sports - ride height?