C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help: Svc Active Handling - Service Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 09:42 AM
AJay
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Need Help: Svc Active Handling - Service Traction Control

(2001 MN6 36000mi) all has been normal until now but this morning when I started the car the DIC scrolls "Service Traction System" "Service ABS" "Service Active Handling"

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:20 AM
cliff_ford
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AJay
(2001 MN6 36000mi) all has been normal until now but this morning when I started the car the DIC scrolls "Service Traction System" "Service ABS" "Service Active Handling"

Check for error codes and post them.

1) Turn on the ignition but don't start the engine.

2) Press the "RESET" button to turn off any warning messages

3) Press and hold "OPTIONS"

4) While holding "OPTIONS", press "FUEL" four times within a 10-second period.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:18 PM
AJay
Pro

1 Code

28 TCS C1214 H C
Old 06-15-2007, 04:40 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to read the sticky about electrical problems and clean up the ground points before embarking on trouble shooting the ABS/Active Handling.

That is as long as its not causing drivability problems, if its engaging and causing driving issues then take it to someone right a way.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Leo3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebcm

read this tread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...highlight=ebcm

Also do a search on ebcm

Good Luck I hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Optimus_C5
Le Mans Master

Location: If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. South West Florida / Livin' The Dream
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Here's the link to the sticky on electrical problems.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=896875

Here's another thread that may help.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ht=ebcm+repair

Do a little trouble shooting and check your grounds and then if you are still having problems you may need to replace the EBCM or have it rebuilt. If it comes down to a failed EBCM then I would recommend rebuild vs. replacement, unless your car is under warranty.

My EBCM failed and my car was out of warranty. After checking all my grounds as recommended in Bill Curlee's sticky. I came to the conclusion that it had to be a failed EBCM. I contacted one of the, several, companies that rebuild EBCM's and ask them if it wasn't the EBCM would I still have to pay for the rebuilt. They told me that they bench test it prior to making any repairs and if everything was fine my charge would be $50 plus return shipping. It turned out to be the EBCM, they repaired it and returned it in 4 days and gave me a lifetime warranty. It has worked flawlessly for the last year.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Optimus_C5; 06-15-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:16 PM
AJay
Pro

Thanks

What does EBCM stand for??
Old 06-15-2007, 09:42 PM
Optimus_C5
Le Mans Master

Location: If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. South West Florida / Livin' The Dream
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

EBCM: Electronic Brake Control Module

Old 06-16-2007, 06:06 AM
trussme
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Default It's a faulty EBCM with Code C1214 (most likely)

1 Code

28 TCS C1214 H C
Ajay, PM me your email address & I'll send my "how to check & fix this problem" file with photos... here's the intro:

Let's cover some basic information on AH, TC, and ABS. In simple terms, these three systems combine data from wheel speed sensors, yaw rate sensors, steering wheel position sensors, along with brake and throttle inputs to determine what the driver wants to do and detects any lose of traction and take corrective action by pulling back on the throttle, activating brakes on individual wheels, or releasing brake pressure as needed to maintain traction.

What goes wrong

When there is a problem anywhere in the system, the computer does not know what's going on with the car or cannot respond correctly. Rather than risking the wrong response which could potentially wreck you car, the whole system is simply disabled for the remainder of the ignition cycle. At this time you will see the ABS and Traction Control warning indicators illuminated on the instrument cluster along with the following messages on the Driver Information Center (DIC):
- Service ABS
- Service Traction System
- Service Active Handling

At this point, you can safely continue to drive your car, just remember that your electronic driving aids are no longer functioning so you should adjust your driving habits accordingly.

Troubleshooting

As I said before, when there is a problem the system is deactivated for the remainder of the ignition cycle, so sometimes everything will go back to normal if you just turn off the car and restart it. If that corrects the problem, it was either a glitch in the system, a lose connection that's going to come back soon or an early sign of a future failure that is coming. Even though the system is now functional it is still beneficial to continue to trouble shoot. The history code should give you a good idea of what to check

The next step is to see where the fault is. If you have several different codes write them down, clear them, and see which ones come back the next time you start the car. At this point, I'm betting that the codes point to either the EBCM or the wheel speed sensors. We'll get to the wheel speed sensors later, for now, let's get to the EBCM.

Electronic Brake Control Module

The most common code for the EBCM is C1214 - Sol Valve relay Contact or coil CKT Open. This code is set when the system voltage is less than 8 volts for 0.23 seconds. Since our goal is to fix this for the lowest price possible, we'll start checking things we can fix for free

.....the rest is in a large emailable file...LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT, Bill
Old 06-16-2007, 08:27 AM
AJay
Pro

PM Sent.....THANKS!!!

Originally Posted by trussme
Ajay, PM me your email address & I'll send my "how to check & fix this problem" file with photos... here's the intro:

Let's cover some basic information on AH, TC, and ABS. In simple terms, these three systems combine data from wheel speed sensors, yaw rate sensors, steering wheel position sensors, along with brake and throttle inputs to determine what the driver wants to do and detects any lose of traction and take corrective action by pulling back on the throttle, activating brakes on individual wheels, or releasing brake pressure as needed to maintain traction.

What goes wrong

When there is a problem anywhere in the system, the computer does not know what's going on with the car or cannot respond correctly. Rather than risking the wrong response which could potentially wreck you car, the whole system is simply disabled for the remainder of the ignition cycle. At this time you will see the ABS and Traction Control warning indicators illuminated on the instrument cluster along with the following messages on the Driver Information Center (DIC):
- Service ABS
- Service Traction System
- Service Active Handling

At this point, you can safely continue to drive your car, just remember that your electronic driving aids are no longer functioning so you should adjust your driving habits accordingly.

Troubleshooting

As I said before, when there is a problem the system is deactivated for the remainder of the ignition cycle, so sometimes everything will go back to normal if you just turn off the car and restart it. If that corrects the problem, it was either a glitch in the system, a lose connection that's going to come back soon or an early sign of a future failure that is coming. Even though the system is now functional it is still beneficial to continue to trouble shoot. The history code should give you a good idea of what to check

The next step is to see where the fault is. If you have several different codes write them down, clear them, and see which ones come back the next time you start the car. At this point, I'm betting that the codes point to either the EBCM or the wheel speed sensors. We'll get to the wheel speed sensors later, for now, let's get to the EBCM.

Electronic Brake Control Module

The most common code for the EBCM is C1214 - Sol Valve relay Contact or coil CKT Open. This code is set when the system voltage is less than 8 volts for 0.23 seconds. Since our goal is to fix this for the lowest price possible, we'll start checking things we can fix for free

.....the rest is in a large emailable file...LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT, Bill
Old 06-21-2007, 09:03 AM
AJay
Pro

Well,

I dropped my car off at the dealer day before yesterday. I got a phone call from them yesterday telling me that they are replacing both the EBCM and the BPMV under warranty.

The service manager then said " I don't know what you paid for your GMPP but you definately got your monies worth"

The bill to get my car back would have been $3300.00 !!!
Old 09-05-2007, 02:00 PM
BlueCorvetteGirl
Racer

Hi 'trussme', I noticed that you have quite the knowledge about this abs/service traction control electrical issue. I just purchased my beautiful '03 vette a few months ago and now I have the notorious 'Service ABS, Service Traction Control etc' message. It is not engadging nor effecting my driving in any way so I am assuming it is the common electrical problem. I ran through the steps above and recieved these codes:

28-TCS C1214 H
60-IPC B1527 H
A0-LDCM B2282H, B2284H, U1064H
A1-RDCM B2283H, B2285H, U1064H

Do you or anyone else know what these codes mean? Is it more than just an electrical issue with the EBCM? Could you please email me the large info you had originally emailed to AJAY, you can pm me for email! If anyone else knows anything else about this, please let me know.

Thanks a ton!
Old 09-05-2007, 02:14 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

BlueCorvetteGirl,

You might want to PM trussme for the files. Also take a look at this website ....

http://www.absfixer.com/

Do you have an extended warranty on the car?? Can you (or someone you know/trust) work on the car? If so you'll find lots of info here on the C1214 EBCM issue. Seach for "ABS" and you'll find a ton of threads out there on this issue.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:51 PM
BlueCorvetteGirl
Racer

BlackZ06,

Thanks for that info. I want to figure out if thats the problem first, then go from there. If its any easy swap out of the module, I'll be estatic. I actually just moved to the area and don't know a good vette mechanic around here. I'm not expert, but can hold my own. I'll need to see what I'm getting into first before I go turn some wrenches.

Thanks for the reply!

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help: Svc Active Handling - Service Traction Control

Quick Reply: Need Help: Svc Active Handling - Service Traction Control