C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C driver cold, pass hot - HVAC???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 03:35 PM
94legaleagle
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A/C driver cold, pass hot - HVAC???

Alright, I did some fairly detailed searches this morning, and read most of the posts on the subject, tried the "pull fuse" solution, and I still have my problem. What is the solution?

2001 Coupe with the DUAL ZONE climate control

I just had my A/C system charged this morning - it had previously been opened up, so a professional A/C repairman vacuumed the system out and put freon in - I'm sure he did it correctly, and I'm SURE that I don't need more freon

Problem: Drivers side blows cold air (ok, that's not really the problem) WHILE the PASS side blows HOT air (there's the problem )- doesn't seem to matter where I set the drivers side temp at and I've got the pass side cranked all the way to the LEFT, which would be the coldest setting.

I am getting the B0446 H code - it does NOT show up as a current code w/ a "C" - it stays as an "H" code - I can hear the actuator trying to cycle itself, but I cannot get the code to clear itself, even when I press reset on the DIC - I looked up code B0446 and it is the A/C actuator code - apparently there are two extremes to the actuator - stuck on lowest cold or highest heat - mine is apparently stuck on highest heat - the shop manual mentioned either something in the actuator blocking the door from full travel, or some other mechanical defect - but I'm NOT sure what I need to do to fix the problem

Here's what I tried: w/ the car running and the A/C ON, I removed both the #18 and 27 fuses from pass side floorboard fusebox, left car running for about 2 minutes, and reinstalled fuse #'s 18 and 27 - the drivers side still blows COLD air, and the PASS side STILL blows HOT air

From my searches, it seems that my problem is the more infrequent problem (ie: more frequently Drivers side blows hot and Pass side blows cold)

What is the problem, and more importantly, what do I need to do to fix this?

Last edited by 94legaleagle; 06-28-2007 at 08:23 PM. Reason: code info added
Old 06-21-2007, 03:45 PM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Pull up any codes on the DIC and clear them, if that doesn't work, try pulling the 27 fuse again to reset - after that you may just want to try to dis-connect battery to reset all. If none of that works, you may have to index the door -
Old 06-21-2007, 03:50 PM
94legaleagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ronwc
Pull up any codes on the DIC and clear them, if that doesn't work, try pulling the 27 fuse again to reset - after that you may just want to try to dis-connect battery to reset all. If none of that works, you may have to index the door -
I forgot to add, I'm NOT getting any codes.

I can try pulling the #27 fuse again - in fact, I'll do both that and remove the battery cable

I remember reading about it, but I read a LOT of posts this morning on this subject, so -- What do I have to do to re-index the door? can you post a link?

Thanks

PS: I won't be able to pull the fuse / disconnect the batter till Saturday, cause I'm leaving VERY shortly for DRM for a DYNO tune appt tomorrow morning I'll post numbers on a different thread this weekend!
Old 06-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm not trying to be a smartazz but, is the dial to control how much hot/cold the passenger gets set to the center position?
Old 06-21-2007, 04:54 PM
atl97vette
Pro

Location: You want HOW much for that Corvette part??? Atlanta GA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to me last week. My passenger vents blew cold air while the center vent and driver's vent blew warm air. I recharged the A/C system with R134a, and now both sides blow very cold air.
It's not hard to do. Good luck

walter
Old 06-21-2007, 05:02 PM
94legaleagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by atl97vette
Same thing happened to me last week. My passenger vents blew cold air while the center vent and driver's vent blew warm air. I recharged the A/C system with R134a, and now both sides blow very cold air.
It's not hard to do. Good luck

walter
System is freshly and correctly charged, so low freon is NOT the problem.

Originally Posted by Bluefire
I'm not trying to be a smartazz but, is the dial to control how much hot/cold the passenger gets set to the center position?
I've tried it w/ the pass side dial set to both the MIDDLE (exactly straight up and down, right between red and blue) and I've tried it with the passenger dial set ALL THE WAY to the left, as far as it would go in the BLUE - did not make any difference.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:48 PM
luch90
Instructor

id try disconnecting the battery for a little while and see what happens. my car has done this in the past a couple of times and it really bugs me. usually my drivers side is hot and the passenger cold. ill fix it one of these days when i find out exactly why its happening
Old 06-21-2007, 11:58 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 94legaleagle
Alright, I did some fairly detailed searches this morning, and read most of the posts on the subject, tried the "pull fuse" solution, and I still have my problem. What is the solution?

2001 Coupe with the DUAL ZONE climate control

I just had my A/C system charged this morning - it had previously been opened up, so a professional A/C repairman vacuumed the system out and put freon in - I'm sure he did it correctly, and I'm SURE that I don't need more freon

Problem: Drivers side blows cold air (ok, that's not really the problem) WHILE the PASS side blows HOT air (there's the problem )- doesn't seem to matter where I set the drivers side temp at and I've got the pass side cranked all the way to the LEFT, which would be the coldest setting.

I am NOT getting any codes.

Here's what I tried: w/ the car running and the A/C ON, I removed both the #18 and 27 fuses from pass side floorboard fusebox, left car running for about 2 minutes, and reinstalled fuse #'s 18 and 27 - the drivers side still blows COLD air, and the PASS side STILL blows HOT air

From my searches, it seems that my problem is the more infrequent problem (ie: more frequently Drivers side blows hot and Pass side blows cold)

What is the problem, and more importantly, what do I need to do to fix this?
My brand new 01 did this one time. I shut the car off, turned it back over and it never did it again for 2 years until I sold it.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:04 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by 94legaleagle
System is freshly and correctly charged, so low freon is NOT the problem.

I've tried it w/ the pass side dial set to both the MIDDLE (exactly straight up and down, right between red and blue) and I've tried it with the passenger dial set ALL THE WAY to the left, as far as it would go in the BLUE - did not make any difference.
I would check the freon....I had the same issue and it needed a charge....i know you just had it charged BUT...as they say...keep it simple.....you may find its additional freon needed....
Old 06-22-2007, 12:07 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

just tried to fix mine the other day..I was told that the driver side is hot..passenger side cold..guess I will try the fuse..
Old 06-22-2007, 11:35 PM
CODE4LS1
Racer

I just had the same prob with my '98. Got the A/C charged at a local shop. They filled it to spec (.74 kg), and my driver side was just "cool" and pass was cold. Bought another can at Auto Zone, it took almost a full can, and now both sides blow ice cold. Hope this helps someone.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:45 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by CODE4LS1
I just had the same prob with my '98. Got the A/C charged at a local shop. They filled it to spec (.74 kg), and my driver side was just "cool" and pass was cold. Bought another can at Auto Zone, it took almost a full can, and now both sides blow ice cold. Hope this helps someone.
I read this a few times before. Good Luck
Old 06-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ALLEGRO
I read this a few times before. Good Luck
Old 06-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Brad@RevXtremeAutoSports
Melting Slicks

Try leaving tha battery disconnected over night. This has cured mine the three times it has happened. Something about the actuators and if the battery gets disconnected for a short period of time or you replace the battery or the battery went dead. Weird.

Good Luck

Brad
Old 06-24-2007, 05:03 AM
boost2much
Pro

It may be the acutator that controls the vent of cold/hot air. Mine blows hot air on the drivers side regardless of the temp I set it at. I'm going to tackle it since its now summer and drives me nuts
Old 06-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by boost2much
It may be the acutator that controls the vent of cold/hot air. Mine blows hot air on the drivers side regardless of the temp I set it at. I'm going to tackle it since its now summer and drives me nuts
Have you had your system vacuumed and recharged?

Thats all it was with me, and I had the same symptoms...I'd say check the charge...my .02 cents......
Old 06-24-2007, 02:34 PM
waterzap
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem.... reset codes, disconnect battery...been there done that. Took to shop, and they said it was the actuator. $200 in parts, $400 in labor. They also filled up the system (charged me for it anyway). Still not all that great. Last few weeks getting worse again, so today I just decided to AT LEAST check the pressure. Autozone, $10 for can of R134a with UV, and $16 for the gauge. Pressure was low, just below the green. 1.5 cans later, with the needle right in the range for the ambient temp, the a/c is so cold, it was a bit uncomfortable this morning when I put it on full. So there you have it, before you start spending money on other things, get a gauge and check the pressure. If it keeps on leaking, will still have to have it checked out by a good a/c shop. Suffice to say, should have checked it myself $600 ago.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C driver cold, pass hot - HVAC???

Old 06-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by waterzap
I had the same problem.... reset codes, disconnect battery...been there done that. Took to shop, and they said it was the actuator. $200 in parts, $400 in labor. They also filled up the system (charged me for it anyway). Still not all that great. Last few weeks getting worse again, so today I just decided to AT LEAST check the pressure. Autozone, $10 for can of R134a with UV, and $16 for the gauge. Pressure was low, just below the green. 1.5 cans later, with the needle right in the range for the ambient temp, the a/c is so cold, it was a bit uncomfortable this morning when I put it on full. So there you have it, before you start spending money on other things, get a gauge and check the pressure. If it keeps on leaking, will still have to have it checked out by a good a/c shop. Suffice to say, should have checked it myself $600 ago.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:38 PM
TheDVS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by bkazepis
I would check the freon....I had the same issue and it needed a charge....i know you just had it charged BUT...as they say...keep it simple.....you may find its additional freon needed....
I'm not gettin' this scenario. If you get any cold air at all, and he is, why would it be a matter of low freon? If he didn't have enough freon, he wouldn't get any cold air at all. Maybe I'm just dense...
Old 06-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TheDVS1
I'm not gettin' this scenario. If you get any cold air at all, and he is, why would it be a matter of low freon? If he didn't have enough freon, he wouldn't get any cold air at all. Maybe I'm just dense...
Look...mine is not the first experience with this issue and subsequent solution of adding freon...part of the value of this and other forums like it is to learn from others experiences..mine and many others in this situation was just that...adding freon fixed the issue....perhaps thats the cure to his problem perhaps not....

Seeing that you are a forum member since 2004 I find it hard to believe that this is the first time you've heard of a quirky thing that our beloved cars do.....I can think of a ton off of the top ofmy head...i bet you could think of as much....

Getting backto the A/C issue, prior tospending ANY $$$ on parts I'd advise adding freon....the good thing about advice is one can take it or leave it..thats his and your choice....additionally, just because you personally dont experience something doesnt mean it doesnt exist.....

Last edited by Nyvetteguy007; 06-24-2007 at 08:50 PM. Reason: addition

Quick Reply: A/C driver cold, pass hot - HVAC???