C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluctuating battery voltage on DIC?????????

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:26 AM
outlaw8950
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluctuating battery voltage on DIC?????????

What should the battery voltage be showing on the DIC? Mine shows anywhere from 12.8 to 13.6 depending upon the load. My battery voltage drops and the lights dim momentarily at night when I touch the brakes. Is it normal for the voltage to fluctuate? The alternator was replaced about 7 or 8 months ago by the dealer but the battery looked as if was the original A/C Delco from 2001.

The reason for my question is that my battery died yesterday without warning as I pulled off from a red light, car died and I was stranded. The crazy thing was that after it did this it would have intermittent power where the flashers would start working and the dash would light up and evn the windows would roll up and down until you tried to turn it over then everything would go out again. My car would not even jumpstart and a friend brought me a jump box and another battery.

I'm wondering if my alternator isn't charging the battery properly and is this the cause for the battery problem? I bought a new battery and I don't want it to be ruined by an insufficient alternator.

Thank, Marshall
Old 06-26-2007, 11:29 AM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

A bad battery does very weird things to any newer car and its myriad of computers.......You might want to get the alternator output checked at a place like autozone etc. at no cost to you
Old 06-26-2007, 11:31 AM
outlaw8950
Advanced

Could any of the multiple grounding points being corroded cause anything like a charging problem?
Old 06-26-2007, 01:06 PM
MPRTKLR
Melting Slicks

funny you should post this. The same thing just happened to me. I drove my car onto a trailer, 15 minutes later it wouldn't start to drive it off the trailer. Couldn't jump it either. It looks like it is the alt in my case. I would definitely have it checked. My car is an '02 Z06 and I have already replaced the battery, starter, and now the alt. Good luck with it.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Itallian33
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't only check your grounds. I had a smiliar problem and it was the battery cable where it attached to the starter. It is a quick and easy check to remove and clean all of your battery cables and the cables going to the starter. I spend most of a week tinkering with my car till i found this poor connection at the starter. Good luck
Jason
Old 06-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Todd157k
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This happened to me too just after putting in a "Orbital" battery. Turned out that the tapped holes in the battery were not quite deep enough and my battery cables didn't tighten down against the battery. After finding it, I put a star tooth washer between the cable and battery and tightened it down. All works fine.
BTW, the DIC seems to read battery voltage, not charging voltage.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:02 PM
tommybilt
Racer

Check the connections at the battery.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:27 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

It's normal for your lights to momentarily dim when you touch the brake or power window switch, and for the DIC readout to fluctuate a little based on rpm's, load, etc. It sounds like your battery just died, but do check the connections at the starter and at both ends of the battery cables for corrosion/tightness.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:06 PM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by tommybilt
Check the connections at the battery.

Get notified of new replies

To Fluctuating battery voltage on DIC?????????

Quick Reply: Fluctuating battery voltage on DIC?????????