C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

airbag indicator (on dash)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 10:44 AM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 951 Likes on 472 Posts

Default airbag indicator (on dash)

After replacing my engine and some other modifications I have noticed that I have a driver's side airbag light lit on my dash. A friend told me that if one turns the steering wheel while the steering shaft is disconnected it can damage an airbag sensor on the steering column. Anyone have any info on this?
Old 07-13-2008, 10:51 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

The indicator means your airbag system is disabled. There are many things that can cause this .... over-turning the steering wheel when the column is disconnected is one ..... Installing a new BCM with incorrect programming is another.

Over turning the wheel breaks the "clock spring" wiring that attaches the airbag in the steering wheel to the cars main wiring system.

The best way to diagnose the problem is to display your DTC data on the DIC.

If you don't know how to do it go here ....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=26&TopicID=1

When the AUTOMATIC display completes it will enter MANUAL mode. In that mode display and write down what codes you have.

A code looks like this ...... P 1234 C

The first letter will be either a P, B, C, or U ..... indicating which system the code is for.

The following 4 numbers are the code

The last letter will be a C or an H (sometimes both).

Post the ENTIRE code (as in the example ..... P1234C), and list ALL the codes found.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:37 PM
TOOGECKO
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this issue. I used a GM lockpin during a steering wheel swap so I'm hoping I didn't get one of the wires tight, possible didn't seat the terminal with the spring into the wheel correctly. Is that the "clock spring you are referencing here?

The only current code is B0022 indicating a drivers side circuit loop. Is this maybe a ground issue? I know I reattached the ground terminal properly...

Get notified of new replies

To airbag indicator (on dash)

Quick Reply: airbag indicator (on dash)