C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key in turn key nothing

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 02:42 AM
Billythekid47960
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key in turn key nothing

What's going on? Have a 98 vert. Put the key in the ignition, seat moves forward, DIC lights up, tach/speedo needles sweep, turn the key and nothing happens! DIC goes out, lights in radio go out, release key and DIC lights backup, needles sweep, etc. I know the starter is fine. The battery is up. It just stranded me AGAIN! Column lock twice! No codes come up on the DIC this time. Could it be a problem with the little tab on the key? It acted hinky a time or two before, but I turn the key a couple times and it started. Not this time. Any help would be great.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:54 AM
fastfb350
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billythekid47960
What's going on? Have a 98 vert. Put the key in the ignition, seat moves forward, DIC lights up, tach/speedo needles sweep, turn the key and nothing happens! DIC goes out, lights in radio go out, release key and DIC lights backup, needles sweep, etc. I know the starter is fine. The battery is up. It just stranded me AGAIN! Column lock twice! No codes come up on the DIC this time. Could it be a problem with the little tab on the key? It acted hinky a time or two before, but I turn the key a couple times and it started. Not this time. Any help would be great.
Push in the clutch....

j/k. I couldn't resist. Good luck with it. Problems like this are so frustrating.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:29 AM
Daves85
Advanced

I had the same problem on my 98 also.the dealer replaced the "KEY SWITCH" and the "ING" switch and it still would not crank.I ended up pulling up the passenger side floor mats and cover to get at the "STARTER RELAY" which is just above the silver box{BCM}.its a little black relay that should click when you turn the key on.the contacts running the starter are the red wire[batt] and the purple wire goes to the starter.the contacts in my relay were shot so no 12volts to the starter..$34.00 for the little black relay and i was up and running fine.check yours out and good luck.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:54 AM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Recheck/tighten/clean the connections to the battery -
Old 07-20-2007, 11:15 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ronwc
Recheck/tighten/clean the connections to the battery -
That was my thought.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:06 PM
Kal-El
Instructor

Try taking your key and rubbing it between two pieces of paper like you would sand paper. You are actually cleaning the little chip in the key.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:37 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Might be a dead spot on the starter

Got stranded after dinner in the parking garage downtown. Called for a tow. Tow truck driver WHACKED the starter a few times with a tire iron. BINGO... IT started. Died aqgain about a week later. I whacked it this time. So as not to be STRANDED I replaced the starter after I was UNABLE to locate parts for mine. I used to rebuild starters all the time, brushes, overrunning clutches and gears but NO ONE around me had any PARTS. The starter replacement is a PITA. You have to lower the exhaust to get to the beast. Had to pay someone with a hydraulic lift the labor to do it even though I supplied the part. BIGHANK
Old 07-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Mac11
Racer

The Pass Key page (2-18) in the Owners Manual says "The key must be clean and dry before it's inserted in the ignition or the engine may not start. If the "Security Light" comes on, the key may be dirty or wet.

Further on it says "if the security pellet is damaged or missing the starter won't work" !

Try your spare key and if it works try cleaning the 1st one. I just bought a new key for my '03 Anny and it was $40 !!!

Good luck with it.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:58 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default corvette keys are about $10

Go on to fleebay and look for corvette VATS 2 sided keys. Find out the resistance on our current one with an ohmmeter or get the dealer (at NO CHARGE) to read it for you. The numbers are I believe from 2 to 13 for the key codes. Search here (past posts) for a conversion chart from actual values in ohms or K ohms to the pellet number. Buy an new DOBLE SIDED blank key with the correct resistance pellet. Then go to a LOCKSMITH (NOT HOME DEPOT OR K MART) and spend about $2 to have the new key cut using your existing one and VERIFY that it STARTS the car and UNLOCKS THE DOORS, glove box, and console.
My locksmith was cutting 2 keys for me and SCREWED UP. The PATS key (with an RFID chip in the top) was ok for my Pontiac, but my VATS key wouldn't turn in the ignition even though it unlocked the car. He REPLACED IT with one of his blanks at no additional charge (why I said DON'T go to some wholesale store with idiots running the key machines, even professionals can and DO screw up occasionally. BIGHANK

Get notified of new replies

To Key in turn key nothing

Quick Reply: Key in turn key nothing