C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd front-end noise: expert input needed

Old 07-22-2007, 08:51 PM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Odd front-end noise: expert input needed

I’m chasing an odd front end noise and am hoping for some good input from the experts.

The problem:
  • Squeal tends to occur when the car is hot, for example during auto-x, drag racing, or spirited driving. Lightly touching the brakes makes it go away. Turning the steering wheel back and forth at speed makes it go away (or reduce intensity).
Here's what I've done:
  • I've checked the rotors with my runout gauge and they were to spec, the pads still had plenty of surface left, and the metal wear indicating squeelers were no where near the rotor.
  • Based reports of failed hub symptoms here I replaced both hubs/wheel bearings with the Toiko units and the squeek remains.
I'm now thinking of doing pads and rotors, but don't just want to throw parts/money at it. Does anyone have an explanation of what this might be caused by?

Thanks a bunch.
Scott

Last edited by NOSLO6; 07-23-2007 at 09:05 AM. Reason: added emphasis to replaced hub/bearings
Old 07-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

"hoping for some good input from the experts"

And I sure hope you get some good info from experts, but until then here's my $0.02 worth. It sounds like you might have a single piston on the caliper that's not retracting quite like it should.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:34 AM
noahdr
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe you have a worn out wheel bearing. Hitting the brakes puts more weight on the front of the car aligning the bearing. Turning the wheel also may pop it back in place. Jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground and hold the top of the tire with one hand and the bottom with the other push and pull on the tire and see if it moves in and out any. Do that to both front tires. They're not supposed to move at all.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:09 AM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Last C5
"hoping for some good input from the experts"

And I sure hope you get some good info from experts, but until then here's my $0.02 worth. It sounds like you might have a single piston on the caliper that's not retracting quite like it should.
Thanks, since I've replaced the hub/wheel bearings this is exactly the type of feedback I'm after.

On the sticky caliper piston, the odd thing is it only seems to happen when brakes are hot. Are these calipers rebuildable? Am I naive to think that inspecting the caliper boots and lubing the pistons could fix it?

So folks, what else should I look at when I take the wheels back off?

Thanks for the thoughts-- keep em coming.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:17 PM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 07-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes, the calipers are rebuildable. POSSIBLY, just dissassembling and lubing might help, but if you've gone that far you might as well rebuild them. While you're there throw in a set of Doug Rippie stainless pistons. Good luck with tracking down the noise.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:45 AM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks to all for the input. I'm going to look at:

1. Calipers for sticking/corrosion
2. Double check rotors against specs

I'm still puzzled about why it only happens when brakes / wheel assembly is hot. I'd think heat would make calipers less likely to stick.

Other thoughts? Could this just be a funky pad?

Scott

Get notified of new replies

To Odd front-end noise: expert input needed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Odd front-end noise: expert input needed