C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC belt question, had to force it on. that normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 05:44 AM
PugLover
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC belt question, had to force it on. that normal?

I replaced my ac belt with one from Advanced auto and it is so tight it had to force / pry it on. Is that normal? I replaced the serpintine belt and it went on without forcing it.

Mark
Old 07-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Itallian33
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

No it should go on smoothly once you get it lined up. Problem is that it is hard to get lined up. Both the crank pulley and the Compressor have lips that the belt must go around and it is hard to get lined up. Do you still have some travel in the tensioner? If you do i would say you are all right. If not teh belt may stretch and you may get some play in it. If it is still tight after you run it a while. Then i would be worried
Jason
Old 07-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Nick1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did both my belts recently, used the gator backs! The ac belt was a pain due to the limited working room and the cooler lines in the way of the tensioner. I remember mine being kind of tight but not sure if it wasn't due to the gymnastics!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Bob CTS
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Mine was a pretty tight fit, had to make sure it was on both pulleys correctly and then swing the tensioner, that allowed the belt to 'fall' right in place under the tensioner pulley.

Get notified of new replies

To AC belt question, had to force it on. that normal?

Quick Reply: AC belt question, had to force it on. that normal?