C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Compressor Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 01:02 PM
CaptKirk
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C Compressor Oil Leak

I've been getting a few drops of oil on the garage floor which I've traced to the back side of the A/C compressor. It looks like the oil seal ring(s) are leaking where the compressor hoses attach to the compressor. However, I checked the pressure on the low side and I get between 25 and 35 psi which according to the service manual is normal. Question - would the compressor leak oil at that connection without losing refrigerant?

TIA
Old 07-28-2007, 06:17 PM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

I know if you replace it, the cost is approx. $800 new (OEM) before tax, freon and installation!
Old 07-28-2007, 10:17 PM
skinny1
Advanced

Default A/C Compressor Oil Leak

Mine was doing the samething two weeks ago. Cost me 1,100.00 to replace the AC compressor at the dealership.

I think I could have down it for about a 1/4 of that buying it on ebay.

Good Luck!

Skinny
Old 07-29-2007, 04:00 AM
PierEagle
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptKirk
I've been getting a few drops of oil on the garage floor which I've traced to the back side of the A/C compressor. It looks like the oil seal ring(s) are leaking where the compressor hoses attach to the compressor. However, I checked the pressure on the low side and I get between 25 and 35 psi which according to the service manual is normal. Question - would the compressor leak oil at that connection without losing refrigerant?

TIA
I would have to think that if oil is seeping, refrigerant would be also and you will notice, after days/weeks pass, that cooling will start to diminish. I have the same problem. So far everyone is talking about replacing the compressor but I am wondering why just the hose seal rings can't be replaced. In the meantime, I bought some refrigerant with sealer in it to see if that will help. Maybe not.

Last edited by PierEagle; 07-29-2007 at 04:02 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:10 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by PierEagle
I would have to think that if oil is seeping, refrigerant would be also and you will notice, after days/weeks pass, that cooling will start to diminish. I have the same problem. So far everyone is talking about replacing the compressor but I am wondering why just the hose seal rings can't be replaced. In the meantime, I bought some refrigerant with sealer in it to see if that will help. Maybe not.
I agree with you about the oil leak (if it IS coming from that which also circulates in the system with the freon). I think that the compressor also has it's own sump that it uses to lubricate just the compressor itself. Either way, it's better to look into it right away rather than wait. That will definitely bring about a much larger parting-of-the-ways between you and your cash.
Have you tried thoroughly cleaning/pressure washing the area first just to be absolutely sure it's refrigerant oil?
Old 07-29-2007, 04:30 AM
PierEagle
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Have you tried thoroughly cleaning/pressure washing the area first just to be absolutely sure it's refrigerant oil?
Not sure about CAPTKIRK but in my case I am positive. Used extendable mirror and saw back of comp at hose and pressure relief valve was wet, had dye added to refrigerant which shows up in recess area, to the side of comp, under motor, by motor mount. Had it checked by GM Dealerwheelers earlier this year. They tried to tell me oil pan gasket and pressure sensor were leaking to the tune of about $700. But I know for a fact it's not motor oil. Needless to say, don't go there no mo. (Sorry CAPT, didn't mean to hijack your thread.)

Last edited by PierEagle; 07-29-2007 at 04:34 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:34 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by PierEagle
Not sure about CAPTKIRK but in my case I am positive. Used extendable mirror and saw back of comp at hose was wet, had dye added to refrigerant which shows up in recess area, to the side of comp, under motor, by motor mount. Had it checked by GM Dealerwheelers earlier this year. They tried to tell me oil pan gasket and pressure sensor were leaking to the tune of about $700. But I know for a fact it's not motor oil. Needless to say, don't go there no mo. (Sorry CAPT, didn't mean to hijack your thread.)
Actually my question about verifying the leak was for CaptKirk. Sorry for the confusion :bb

PierEagle: Looks like you and me are a couple of the night owls tonight.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:01 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
I agree with you about the oil leak (if it IS coming from that which also circulates in the system with the freon). I think that the compressor also has it's own sump that it uses to lubricate just the compressor itself. Either way, it's better to look into it right away rather than wait. That will definitely bring about a much larger parting-of-the-ways between you and your cash.
I agree with LonestarFRC, In some cases its best to throughly clean the compressor and area around the compressor and verify that it is really AC compressor oil that your seeing. It's normal to see a small amount of oil around the compressor input shaft but, not in other places.

If you indeed have an AC compressor refrigerant oil leak and decide to just live with it, you need to add a oil charge to your AC compressor. Its simple and quick and something you can do at home with only hand tools. The oil comes in a small tube that screws on to the LOW pressure side schrader valve and you can simply inject the oil into the system by twisting the nut on the back of the tube with a wrench. It works kind of like a hypodermic syringe.

There are also oil charges that can be infused using the same freon charging hoses sets that you use to read the AC system pressures and add freon. Some R-134 freon charges have oil mixed right into the charge. If you just need to add one pound of freon, its a good idea to select a charge with oil in it.

Having the AC system evacuated and the leaking component repaired should be a LOT less expensive than compressor replacement. I would find a competent AC shop to repair the leak vice replace the compressor.

BC
Old 07-29-2007, 12:34 PM
CaptKirk
Racer

I cleaned off the area under the compressor and drove for a day without using the A/C. No new oil showed up. When I hooked up the gauge to check the pressure on the low side, like I said before, I got a reading of 25-35 psi. Only after I ran the A/C to test the pressure, a few drops of new oil appeared. (This happened very soon after turning on the A/C.) It looked like oil was directly under the hose connections. I used a small mirror to see if it was coming out of the pressure relief value, but it didn't look like that was were it originated. I used my hand to feel under the hose connectors and sure enough, that's were the oil was coming from. I took the car over to a certified A/C mechanic who I've had good luck with before and who I trust. He said more than likely it's the hose seals. He said he would evacuate the system, change the seals, and recharge it for $150. He didn't seem overly concerned because the A/C was still working and blowing cold air and to bring it back when I can to have it done. He said if I lost too much oil or refrigerant, it would shut itself down. The thing I still don't understand is why am I losing oil and not refrigerant as well?

Get notified of new replies

To A/C Compressor Oil Leak

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor Oil Leak