C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arrrrggghhhh.....leaking flywheel bolts have trashed my clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 12:39 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Default Arrrrggghhhh.....leaking flywheel bolts have trashed my clutch

All,

After dealing with some nasty clutch issues after a new motor install I'm 95% (pics coming soon) that my flywheel bolts have been leaking causing the front portion of the clutch disk to become very sticky and nasty. The original post is shown below:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1748916

I've seen a few other posts where folks have had the same issue with after market cranks. So my question is this? 1.) How should I clean the existing holes (maybe carb cleaner???) and 2.) How should I seal the bolts (ARP's).

This is such a bizatch as I've ordered a new clutch and a new RPM tranny....oh well it will feel like new again.

Thanks in advance for any input for those that have been down this patch.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:49 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Yep, used a mirror and each hole breaks thru just a tiny bit.....dangit. What a crap load of effort and $$$ for $.05 worth of sealant.

Anyhow, the question still remains. What sealant should I use? Red loctite maybe?....although I don't think its intended to be a sealant but I could be wrong.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:50 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Not sure if I follow this too well here. As far as I knew, the flywheel to crankshaft bolts don't pass through anything that could "leak". They are dry and merely attach the two pieces to one another. The only "fluid" they might see would be some Loc-Tite used on the threads to prevent loosening.
Maybe I'm missing something here.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:58 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Not sure if I follow this too well here. As far as I knew, the flywheel to crankshaft bolts don't pass through anything that could "leak". They are dry and merely attach the two pieces to one another. The only "fluid" they might see would be some Loc-Tite used on the threads to prevent loosening.
Maybe I'm missing something here.
LoneStarFRC,

Unfortunately I don't have a pic of a crank itself but the only way I can describe it is that these holes are not blind....as in they are exposed to oil on the inside of the motor....I think. The flywheel bolts were soaked in oil when I removed them....anyhow I'll post pics when I get them off of my camera.

You may be right....at this point I'm baffled and a little pissed so any input is appreciated.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:05 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PewterC5
LoneStarFRC,

Unfortunately I don't have a pic of a crank itself but the only way I can describe it is that these holes are not blind....as in they are exposed to oil on the inside of the motor....I think. The flywheel bolts were soaked in oil when I removed them....anyhow I'll post pics when I get them off of my camera.

You may be right....at this point I'm baffled and a little pissed so any input is appreciated.
It seems to me that if you are seeing oil on the bolts, it's most likely coming from a rear main crankshaft seal leaking or possibly a leaking oil pressure sender (up above and on the rear of the engine) that might be leaking down into the bellhousing and backside of the engine.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Here's a pic of the flywheel.

Here's a pic of the rear crank flange with bolts removed. Notice no oil inside those holes.

Here's a closeup.

The rear crank seal is on the outer flange surface. Here's an illustration tha shows how the seal fits over the crank.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:38 PM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The flywheel bolts holes are THRU holes. You can see into the inside of the engine thru them. I just use a liberal amount of red locktite on them. When it hardens, it seals. Never have problems with them leaking.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I've always used just Loctite on the flywheel bolts as specified by the SM:

"Apply threadlock GM U.S. P/N 12345382, Canada P/N 10953489, or equivalent to the threads of the flywheel bolts."
Old 07-29-2007, 02:50 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Patches
I've always used just Loctite on the flywheel bolts as specified by the SM:

"Apply threadlock GM U.S. P/N 12345382, Canada P/N 10953489, or equivalent to the threads of the flywheel bolts."
If I'd only known this when I put the ARP's in there. Oh well, life can always be worse.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Sick Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont mean this in any derogitory way at all.... 90% of being a mechanic is attention to detail. When you removed the old bolts, you should have looked at them and wondered why they looked "crusty" on the ends.

I try my damnedest, to pay attention to that kind of stuff, since it always returns to bite me in the rear. Glad to hear you solved the issue though. How bad was the oil damage? Did you have to replace the disc?
Old 07-29-2007, 04:12 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
The flywheel bolts holes are THRU holes. You can see into the inside of the engine thru them. I just use a liberal amount of red locktite on them. When it hardens, it seals. Never have problems with them leaking.
Are all LS cranks like this or is it the case with aftermarket only?
Old 07-29-2007, 04:14 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sick Z06
I dont mean this in any derogitory way at all.... 90% of being a mechanic is attention to detail. When you removed the old bolts, you should have looked at them and wondered why they looked "crusty" on the ends.

I try my damnedest, to pay attention to that kind of stuff, since it always returns to bite me in the rear. Glad to hear you solved the issue though. How bad was the oil damage? Did you have to replace the disc?

The irony is I built up a whole new motor and I screwed this up "knock on wood". The clutch is toast (gooy, stick, nasty on the front side) as will be seen when I get my camera working again. I have a completely new one sitting here ready to go in.

Agreed on the attention to detail. I guess it was the ARP's that through me off. Oh well....time to put it back together and move on.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:20 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

The irony is I built up a whole new motor and I screwed this up "knock on wood". The clutch is toast (gooy, stick, nasty on the front side) as will be seen when I get my camera working again. I have a completely new one sitting here ready to go in.

Agreed on the attention to detail. I guess it was the ARP's that through me off. Oh well....time to put it back together and move on.
Why can't you just do a good cleaning of the pressure plate and flywheel and then just replace the disc?
Old 07-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Sick Z06
Racer

I hear ya there, funny how the simple thing can bite you in the rear, huh?

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Why can't you just do a good cleaning of the pressure plate and flywheel and then just replace the disc?
Simply put, at this point the friction material of the clutch, be it organic or not, is now contaminated with oil. Which will cause a swelling of it, and will continue to cause it to degrade much quicker then if it was not contaminated. Also it will continue to bleed out its contaminate onto the pressure plate, and flywheel, and thus cause more glazing. Leading to premature failure of those parts as well.

Best idea is to replace the disc now, while its much cheaper to do so, and use a can or 2 of brake clean to get the flywheel and pressure plate clean.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:13 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sick Z06
I hear ya there, funny how the simple thing can bite you in the rear, huh?

Simply put, at this point the friction material of the clutch, be it organic or not, is now contaminated with oil. Which will cause a swelling of it, and will continue to cause it to degrade much quicker then if it was not contaminated. Also it will continue to bleed out its contaminate onto the pressure plate, and flywheel, and thus cause more glazing. Leading to premature failure of those parts as well.

Best idea is to replace the disc now, while its much cheaper to do so, and use a can or 2 of brake clean to get the flywheel and pressure plate clean.

I'm going all the way as I already have a brand new clutch (and hydraulics) and a new RPM tranny on the way. I'm tired of messing around with this drive train. Had I known it was bolts only I'd probably of done the clutch only but at this point the new tranny won't hurt.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:53 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
, red loctite or replace with new GM bolts, the information is covered in the GM tech data
Old 07-29-2007, 08:36 PM
see5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The crank is pressurized with oil. Make sure that plug in the end is not leaking.

Get notified of new replies

To Arrrrggghhhh.....leaking flywheel bolts have trashed my clutch

Old 07-29-2007, 09:02 PM
bayarea
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steve@EnglandGreen
, red loctite or replace with new GM bolts, the information is covered in the GM tech data
do the stock bolts require sealant or is it just the arp.

Originally Posted by see5
The crank is pressurized with oil. Make sure that plug in the end is not leaking.
do you have a pic of this plug? if its the oil galley plug i know what your talkin about.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow, learned something new. I never knew the flywheel bolts were open to oil/oil pressure, sounds like a silly design to be quite honest.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:11 PM
see5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bayarea
do the stock bolts require sealant or is it just the arp.

do you have a pic of this plug? if its the oil galley plug i know what your talkin about.
That is it right in the center of Patches picture . Looks like an old style freeze plug.

Quick Reply: Arrrrggghhhh.....leaking flywheel bolts have trashed my clutch