C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My AC makes Hissing noises???

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 05:28 PM
RTK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My AC makes Hissing noises???

Hello everyone I dont know if this question has been brought up or if my cars the first, but anyways, ever since I bought my car a few months ago it has been making a hissing noise from the AC even though its been turned off. Sounds like air leaking out of a baloon slowly. once I turn my Air conditioner on the hissing goes away after like a minute. Is this a common issue or do I have to fix somethin? thanks
Old 07-31-2007, 05:43 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Sounds like your air diverter door module, a vacuum motor or one of the vacuum lines has a vacuum leak. Your going to meed to disassemble most of the dash to figure out what it is. Here is a picture of the entire HVAC unit removed from the dash.

The FOAM covered tube in the center of the pic is a vacuum vent!

Vacuum lines from vacuum module:

VACUUM MOTORS

DO YOU HAVE ALL YOUR DOOR FUNCTIONS WORKING CORRECTLY?

BC
Old 07-31-2007, 06:06 PM
RTK
Instructor

YEs all of my door functions work properly. Also my AC smells sort of bad now for some reason. Is that some sort of indication that I need to replace something?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:12 PM
Showdown
Pro

My AC will blow from all locations at once, Mostly out of the winshield vent. I hear a hissing comming from behind the motor when I shut the car off. HELP.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:23 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Showdown
My AC will blow from all locations at once, Mostly out of the winshield vent. I hear a hissing comming from behind the motor when I shut the car off. HELP.
Sounds like the vacuum line at rear of intake manifold disconnected. Different problem than RTK's.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:34 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RTK
YEs all of my door functions work properly. Also my AC smells sort of bad now for some reason. Is that some sort of indication that I need to replace something?
Even if your doors are working with the engine running, one of your vacuum motors to one of the doors may be bleeding off vacuum after engine shutdown.
Vacuum reservoir tank also maybe Bill?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:07 PM
Showdown
Pro

How hard is it to fix if it is the vacume line behind the manifold? Should I have the dealer look at it?
Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Sounds like the vacuum line at rear of intake manifold disconnected. Different problem than RTK's.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:18 PM
projectjim
Navigator

How hard is it to fix if it is the vacume line behind the manifold? Should I have the dealer look at it?
Trace the line down,out of the firewall,and it's probably cracked where it connects to the manifold.Fairly easy fix.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:00 AM
RTK
Instructor

Is there a DIY or something that explains what tools and parts I will need to fix this problem? thanks everyone
Old 08-01-2007, 01:17 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

The intake manifold has to be removed (or at least moved forward a few inches) in order to get access the small (1/8" black nylon) vacuum line where it attaches to the manifold.
Try to clarify if the sound you're hearing is coming from the rear of the engine between it and the firewall and not just somewhere in the area. Has the intake manifold ever been removed or changed? If any work has been done of that nature then it's highly likely that's the problem.
On the other hand, if you've ever had a battery leak problem in the past, there's the possibility the acid dripping down may have attacked the line where it exits the firewall (and other items in the area too like the PCM, wire harnesses, etc)
This subject has been discussed a lot here. Good news is, it's not a high $ repair (as far as the line itself).
Try a search.

Last edited by LoneStarFRC; 08-01-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:55 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Try The Vacuum Hose Under The Battery Before Removing The Manifold

Most C5 Delco batteries LEAK ACID onto the hard plastic vacuum line going to the A/C flow control valve. Check this FIRST. Usually need to replace MOST of the hard line coming thru the cables with the wires and the vacuum lines in the middle. Was my problem and causes no control of where the air comes out. BIGHANK

Get notified of new replies

To My AC makes Hissing noises???

Quick Reply: My AC makes Hissing noises???