C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glass top is "peeling"

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 11:35 PM
skydive120
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, definitly let us know how it turns out.
You can always sand it down and polish it again!
Mine was sanded down and polished, turned out great, if the clear works out might give it a try.
Chris
Old 08-31-2007, 09:22 PM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to say it was a success. (Sand with 600 and re clear the top)
I do not have any good before pics but check out the after pics... they do not do it justice.

I was like buying a new roof!!!!! and only $150!

I should have really cleaned it before the pics.

If you are interested in having this guy do it he is welcoming all the calls. and His shop is guaranteeing the work for as long as I own the car.

Dennis 405-708-9995

Old 08-31-2007, 09:28 PM
skydive120
Racer

Looks like it turned out great indeed.
Where is the shop located that did yours?
Chris
Old 08-31-2007, 09:32 PM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Shop is located in a suburb of Oklahoma City, Moore Oklahoma.

I would be willing to help any out of state owners any way possible.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:34 PM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by beav626
Shop is located in a suburb of Oklahoma City, Moore Oklahoma.

I would be willing to help any out of state owners any way possible.

, WOW pm me the address to that place beav, ima have to take mine there. Just $150? How much time will he need it?
Old 09-01-2007, 11:07 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Glad to see you got a great product for a fair price. That's hard to come by when you're dealing with Corvette stuff. Everyone sees dollar signs$$$$.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:25 PM
BRISLS1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14,’19

Sorry to ask the obvious, but a friend suggested to me, and I was embarassed to say, I have not asked about a factory "ReCall"?

I picture it just below the column lock letter
Old 10-12-2007, 05:34 PM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BRISLS1
Sorry to ask the obvious, but a friend suggested to me, and I was embarassed to say, I have not asked about a factory "ReCall"?

I picture it just below the column lock letter
GM is stepping up on the C6 to replace the tops...
Old 01-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Sorry to dig up this thread, but why do people knoc Astro tops? I'm confused. They apparently use an OEM frame, weatherstripping, and latches. The difference is they replace the polycarbonate panel with an acrylic one that, as a post above mentioned, is better suited for outside use.

They also guarantee their products for a year.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:24 AM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Sorry to dig up this thread, but why do people knoc Astro tops? I'm confused. They apparently use an OEM frame, weatherstripping, and latches. The difference is they replace the polycarbonate panel with an acrylic one that, as a post above mentioned, is better suited for outside use.

my Body shop that did my top guarantees for as long as I own the car...
Old 01-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ My top has cracks in it that were repaired but one looks to be continuing to spread... I believe this is the start of crazing. Your top was peeling, mine isn't doing that.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:35 AM
beav626
Le Mans Master

^ My top has cracks in it that were repaired but one looks to be continuing to spread... I believe this is the start of crazing. Your top was peeling, mine isn't doing that.
cracking is a different story. body shops cant do much for them...
Old 01-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Nope... the previous owner of mine had it taken to a lexan/polycarbonate sign shop where they repaired the cracks, but one looks to be spreading beyond the repair.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:42 PM
beav626
Le Mans Master

^ Nope... the previous owner of mine had it taken to a lexan/polycarbonate sign shop where they repaired the cracks, but one looks to be spreading beyond the repair.
I did not htink the cracks could be repaired...

might look for a used crap top on here or another site and have it refinished for cheap at a body shop...
Old 01-04-2008, 02:17 AM
lordbones
Instructor

My experience with Astro Tops is strictly with a one piece targa that they offer for the C3's...When I got one for my 80' I realized that the top was fine but rather the problem was with the latches & fittings...Junk is the best word for it. Two of the latches broke by just putting them into place. As far as C5, I have no idea but for the C3 I will never recommend them...
Old 01-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Ok... gotcha. Seems that for the C5 they simply take an oem frame, latches, gaskets and replace the polycarbonate top with an acrylic one.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Benpup
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

There was a thread a while back regarding re clear coating the top. One of the guys had it done and the main thing was the bonding agent to use. I have the name of it at home.
He said that it was sanded, polished, then the bonding agent was applied then it was clearcoated. Said it was better than new and that it was done a year or so ago and it still looked great. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Get notified of new replies

To Glass top is "peeling"

Old 01-08-2008, 11:28 AM
melrose
Collections Ban

Location: Name calling begins in the absence of fact and reason
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's just a little info guys. I kind of skimmed over the whole thread, so excuse me if some of my comments are redundent.
90% of the C5 cores we get in for exchange have that stripe down the side. The stripe is the very thin transparent hardcoating that is coming undone from the polycarbonate lens. It may be UV related, however the remaining area of the lenses remain fine, so that qualifies it as quality control problem that GM should have recalled. It simply took long enough for the majority of the roofs to peel that GM could ignore the issue and blame it on age. We started seeing this problem back in '98 within a year the cars were on the market. I thought GM learned their lesson in the 90's when they swithched from acrylic to polycarbonate lenses. I am sure many of you remember the coating problems you had with some of you late generation C4's. Look on the bright side; they have it narrowed down to a 6" stripe. Maybe by 2010 they will be able to successfully coat a lexan lens. I have to hand to you guys that have successfully removed this coating because I consistently used to tell people it was impossible. The only drawback to this removal process is lack of protection. I have seen people wipe these uncoated lenses with paper towels and it hazed up the lens pretty bad. Just make sure you use a soft cloth and lots of glass cleaner.
Regarding cracking or splitting of the lens- any repairs done will only be a temp. bandaid. They crack usually grows and splits further with time. Drilling a small hole in the leading edge of the split sometimes stops it from growing but you end up with a hole that you will need to seal up. These roofs (C4 and C5) split from a multitude of factors which include- weather, UV exposure, age, and vehicle use and care. Plastic in general does not age well. It shrinks and becomes brittle with age. Most often as the plastic lens shrinks it fights with the urethane bond adhering it to the frame. When the urethane bead has reached it's threshold of "stretch" something must give, and that ends up being the lens which usually splits from the from the front edge near the middle heading rearword.
Thanks Chris at Melrose T-Top Int. 815-758-2783
Old 01-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Chris what material do you guys use in your tops for the C5?
Old 01-08-2008, 12:21 PM
melrose
Collections Ban

Location: Name calling begins in the absence of fact and reason
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Chris what material do you guys use in your tops for the C5?
Acrylic.

Quick Reply: Glass top is "peeling"