C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wynns oil additive (stops leaks)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 01:55 PM
ukmac
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default wynns oil additive (stops leaks)

Hello, just wondered what your thoughts are on a product that I saw today. Have been under the vette today doing an oil change. Whilst I was under I thought that I would check out my differential for the dreaded leak (have recently posted that I have a leak from the drivers side cover). Well I am not so sure now, there was evidence of drips from the bottom of the casing, but there was also evidence of oil on the transverse spring(which is ahead of the differential) and also on the cross member. Checked out the pressure relief valve on the top of the casing and that was totally clean and dry(but did hear pressure being released when I undid the fill plug! Checked out the oil level in the diff and that was only marginly below the fill hole.So now I am totally confused. However, during the afternoon I went to my local accessory shop and noticed an oil additive that is compatible with limited slip differentials that is claimed to stop leaks. I won't be going down this route yet- but wondered if anyone had heard/tried this product?
Old 08-10-2007, 02:57 PM
timemender
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The vent has a spring-loaded valve designed to hold a little pressure. What you described sounds normal – slight pressure upon removing the filler plug.

Clean off the differential then drive a few miles and then re-inspect to locate the leak more precisely. Could be many things – seals – gaskets – cracked case – etc.

Please Note – NEVER use harsh solvents around the fiberglass springs. (Paint thinner, Prep-sol, etc.) Harsh solvents will cause the spring to fail sooner or later. Could take months but the spring will fail eventually if solvents penetrate into the spring. Contact a fiberglass spring manufacturer such as Vette Brakes & Products in St Petersburg Florida for more detailed information on fiberglass spring care. I learned this the hard way.

Quick Reply: wynns oil additive (stops leaks)