C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers and southern heat

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 01:21 PM
Jacksvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers and southern heat

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been lurking around the forums for about a month now and have learned a lot from you all. Thank you. :cheers:

Now for my first new topic and hottest question. :)

I want to remove the precats from my new 02. I want to keep the main cats to be compliant with nature and the government. :flag After reading a lot about my options I’m curious about long tube headers. A good friend of mine and fellow forum member AustinC5 recently installed the TPIS long tubes, they appear to be high quality, and a real option for me.

My concern is the extreme heat of the Texas summer. I really want to hear from anyone in a southern climate that has had heat related problems with coated headers.

Thanks again,

1973 Corvette Stingray
Red/Black int, fully restored.

1996 Impala SS
Black/Grey int

2002 Corvette Coupe
Metallic Silver/Black int, Z06 air box, K&N air filter, hood seal

1991 Acura NSX
Red/Black int, 30K

1992 Suzuki GSXR 600
White/red
Old 11-16-2001, 02:59 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Headers and southern heat (Jacksvette)

Jack, Chevy got rid of the precats on '02 Z06s - are you sure they kept 'em for the LS1s? :confused:
Old 11-16-2001, 03:07 PM
Jacksvette
Intermediate

Unfortunate but true, my 02 LS1 has the mini precats and the full size regular cats. :(
Old 11-16-2001, 04:06 PM
George Cooper
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Headers and southern heat (Buckmaster)

Southern don't get no more heated than Charleston, and I have the TTS long tubes. I did add the Koolmat piece ("Brian A. Marks" <bmarks@verticalstores.com>) that goes in the torque tunnel - cooler than stock!
Old 11-16-2001, 04:16 PM
vstella
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the cats pulled since March and the TPIS headers were installed just recently(see my homepage for full TPIS header installation pics)and never really felt the exhaust was too hot. The fans come on at 190 thanks to the Powerloader II to keep things cool.The summer down here in South Florida is down right steaming and it's never been an issue.

P.S. Have a pro install the TPIS headers! :yesnod:
Old 11-16-2001, 04:40 PM
97C5ENVY
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. If you see Philip tell him "hi" for me.:)

I've had my TPIS headers on since June and i have noticed a slight increase in temps in the floorboard area. The only reason i was able to detect this increase is because at the time i usually drove my car 40 miles (all HWY) every morning with the windows up and knew the cars operating temp within the cabin fairly well. After the TPIS header install i was able to detect a slight increase in the floorboard area. I'm guessing about a 5 degree increase. Nothing major though.

On the flip side they definitly gave the car a boost (SOTP) and a schweet exhaust note. :cheers:

[Modified by 97C5ENVY, 2:41 PM 11/16/2001]
Old 11-16-2001, 05:24 PM
bparker
Melting Slicks

If your car came with A/C then problem solved - :yesnod: - as here in TX, in the summer, it doesnt matter as you will have the A/C blasting anyways... or the windows down - and/or - the top off - hence no worrys + the headers arte great for keeping you warm in the winter months too! :lol:
Old 11-16-2001, 06:28 PM
Jacksvette
Intermediate

Default Re: Headers and southern heat (97C5ENVY)

I’m mostly wondering about the added heat in the engine compartment. I’ve had headers before on other cars (older vetts) and have had problems like melted spark plug wires, melted steering pivot boot, and other various melted hoses and plastic parts. :mad (bad heat, bad) I guess I’m mostly worried because of the removal of the exhaust manifold heat shield. I know these new heat coatings like Jet Hot are intended to reduce radiated heat, but am having a hard time believing their effectiveness (skeptic.)

Thanks for all the replies, 97C5ENVY, I will tell Philip you said Hi.

Get notified of new replies

To Headers and southern heat

Quick Reply: Headers and southern heat