C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod Installation for C5 Z06 (no CD changer)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 12:56 PM
JKLNHDE
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default iPod Installation for C5 Z06 (no CD changer)

I tried to search this topic but had no luck. I would like to install an iPod interface in my '02 Z06 (does not have a CD changer) using the factory Bose head unit but am struggling to find the correct equipment.

I purchased an adaptor at Best Buy but after taking the console and factory Bose radio out discovered that the adaptor wants to couple up with what i think is the cable that would run from the head unit to the optional CD changer in the trunk which the Z06 does not have.

Do I need buy the cable that runs from the head unit to the CD changer from GM to be able to use the aftermarket adaptors?

What parts are needed for a car without a CD changer ala Z06?

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:14 PM
mowton
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same question. It is my understanding that all the cars after 2001 or so came wired for the CD Changer normally mounted in the read compartment of the Coupe (not sure where for an FRC) and they sold an adapter (GM-10 ???) that you connected to the existing harness. Then you somehow, hooked you IPOD (or in my case the Garmin c550) to that to gain access through the BOSE.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Search in c5 gen, there is a big thread on it. Ed, the Garmin won't work like the ipod, you use the headphone line out to the aux input and control the music with the Garmin or any mp3 player. The ipod2car will use the ipod connector, charge the ipod and you can use the CD controls on the head unit to change songs, but it can work a bit flaky. I could have shown you my ipod connection at your BBQ. Let me know if you need any help, all the info is in that c5 gen thread. I may be down e-town if Dr Carmine discharges me tomorrow
Old 08-30-2007, 11:37 PM
unit176
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed an ipod interface with my factory bose radio system, and my car didn't come equiped with a CD changer so I had to buy the factory CD changer harness...about $70 at the time...install it, and then attach the IPOD interface harness. I think this is the best set up as it lets you run the IPOD through the factory head unit, and the install looks like it came from the factory. All 2001 C5 have the plug in the wire harness to install the factory CD Changer harness, its located under the floor panel on the passenger side, the one that sits up nearest the fire wall, its a little weirdly placed, but its there. Look on ebay for the harness is my recomendation, then google installing a factory CD changer and I'm sure you'll find the instructions with detailed pics of where to locate the plug in for the harness. I did the work all myself saved about $75 on the installation...my recomendation is don't run the wire harness to the rear of the car as you will be placing the IPOD in the front of the car so its not necessary. Let me know if you need pics.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:29 AM
mowton
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Humanoid 2.0
Search in c5 gen, there is a big thread on it. Ed, the Garmin won't work like the ipod, you use the headphone line out to the aux input and control the music with the Garmin or any mp3 player. The ipod2car will use the ipod connector, charge the ipod and you can use the CD controls on the head unit to change songs, but it can work a bit flaky. I could have shown you my ipod connection at your BBQ. Let me know if you need any help, all the info is in that c5 gen thread. I may be down e-town if Dr Carmine discharges me tomorrow

PM sent
Old 08-31-2007, 10:35 AM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1752127
Old 08-31-2007, 08:04 PM
unit176
Intermediate

I have the kit that is controlled by the factory head set, if you download the right program it works fine, just can't disconnect the IPOD with out turning off the radio or it freezes up is all
Old 09-01-2007, 12:37 AM
BanditDude
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also did not have the factory changer. I purchased the foot-long ($20) adapter from Crutchfield, and it works like a champ. The entire install took 30 minutes.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:57 PM
emquad46
Instructor

I bought the ISIMPLE and installed the interface to my CD Changer, ran the cable to the front console. I have only one problem...The IPOD TOUCH quits on occassion. To start it up again all you have to do is touch the song playing and it picks up where it stopped. I called peripheral electronics and the tech said this is a common problem when hooking up the interface to the CD Changer. I really don't want to pull the dash apart in my '03 Coupe. Any suggestions?????
Old 10-24-2007, 10:09 AM
kilrb
Pro

If you bought the IPod2car at Best Buy and don't have a CD changer in the back, you'll find that you are missing a harness. I searched and found that you have to buy the GMH20TC harness that hooks up to the back of your Bose head unit and to the Ipod2car unit. The link Mike94ZLT1 gave is where I believe I learned about the issue, and this link takes you to a website that sells the adapter for $25. http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=795
Old 10-24-2007, 12:42 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Rob,

This months Corvette Fever (actually in the December issue) has an outstanding article in it on installing an IPOD in a C5. It's very detailed and may give you a few ideas on making this work.

They used a harmon/kardon drive + play in the article and the author was very pleased with it.

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 10-24-2007 at 05:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To iPod Installation for C5 Z06 (no CD changer)

Quick Reply: iPod Installation for C5 Z06 (no CD changer)