C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

put together dash now lights don't work

Old 09-03-2007, 02:46 PM
zbest4me
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default put together dash now lights don't work

please help me figure out my friends 2002 vert. I'm lost. read below.
thanks in advance.

Hey, i have a problem with the vette. I just put everything back together today, new shift boot, parking brake boot, radio bezel etc... I went to wash the car and it started getting dark. I turn the headkights on, but everything in the car remains dark. So I have headlights on but no interior lights on dash and other few places that should come on. I turn headlights off and they do turn off but do not go down. So basically i can turn headlights on and off but headlights stay in open position and no interior lights.

Also when headlights are on i cannot turn foglights on or off, same goes if i put the switch in the middle setting which is for foglights only, nothing happens. I've elliminated fuses, all good.

The other functions on the switch such as cruise control, left & right turn signal are fine. I did notice, when i opened the door all the interior lights come on as should, dash lights up, climate control lights up etc...

I also checked the mini relays in the fuse panel that relate to the problems and they are ok.

My first thought is bad switch but not confident because half the functions on the switch are working? My other concern is if i might have pinched a wire or something when putting car back together. I did have the panel under steering column off, running microphone for radio, putting it where by boost and fuel pressure gauges are. But i really didn't do anything that i would think could pinch a wire and even if i somehow did could one wire make the following not function:

Headlight motors won't engage and lower headlights, fog lights won't come on, interior lights won't come on.

After all that, what do you think??????????????????

I looked up switch and new one is $150 bucks. I have no idea if its easy or hard to replace. Can you post this in the forum and at least see if someone has an opinion on the problem and instructions on how to replace.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:57 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by zbest4me
please help me figure out my friends 2002 vert. I'm lost. read below.
thanks in advance.

Hey, i have a problem with the vette. I just put everything back together today, new shift boot, parking brake boot, radio bezel etc... I went to wash the car and it started getting dark. I turn the headkights on, but everything in the car remains dark. So I have headlights on but no interior lights on dash and other few places that should come on. I turn headlights off and they do turn off but do not go down. So basically i can turn headlights on and off but headlights stay in open position and no interior lights.

Also when headlights are on i cannot turn foglights on or off, same goes if i put the switch in the middle setting which is for foglights only, nothing happens. I've elliminated fuses, all good.

The other functions on the switch such as cruise control, left & right turn signal are fine. I did notice, when i opened the door all the interior lights come on as should, dash lights up, climate control lights up etc...

I also checked the mini relays in the fuse panel that relate to the problems and they are ok.

My first thought is bad switch but not confident because half the functions on the switch are working? My other concern is if i might have pinched a wire or something when putting car back together. I did have the panel under steering column off, running microphone for radio, putting it where by boost and fuel pressure gauges are. But i really didn't do anything that i would think could pinch a wire and even if i somehow did could one wire make the following not function:

Headlight motors won't engage and lower headlights, fog lights won't come on, interior lights won't come on.

After all that, what do you think??????????????????

I looked up switch and new one is $150 bucks. I have no idea if its easy or hard to replace. Can you post this in the forum and at least see if someone has an opinion on the problem and instructions on how to replace.
Check fuse #6 in the passenger footwell (10A).
Old 09-03-2007, 09:06 PM
zbest4me
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Check fuse #6 in the passenger footwell (10A).
You DA MAN! thanks......That was it.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:36 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by zbest4me
You DA MAN! thanks......That was it.
Glad it worked for ya.

I've learned more about the C5 electrical systems than I care to know, but that's what happens when you convert your automatic to a six speed.

I was having simular problems but mine was due to a loose connection in the passenger footwell terminal block.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:25 PM
timemender
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Glad it worked for ya.

I've learned more about the C5 electrical systems than I care to know, but that's what happens when you convert your automatic to a six speed.

I was having simular problems but mine was due to a loose connection in the passenger footwell terminal block.

That must have been some job (to convert). Curious - would you do it again or just buy another Corvette with a six-speed?
Old 09-04-2007, 05:08 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Default Long winded response.

Originally Posted by timemender
That must have been some job (to convert). Curious - would you do it again or just buy another Corvette with a six-speed?

Actually, I don't regret anything that I have done. It has taught me alot about the do's and don'ts when doing a car.

The transmission conversion (mechanical portion) itself was not a bad job, it's everything else that I have done to the car that has been the problem.

None of the local tune shops around me would return my calls or emails when I sent them a request to do the tranny conversion.

If it wasn't for the help of Dr. Phil, I would never have been able to complete the job myself. Dr. Phil sent me schematics and even reprogrammed my PCM to work correctly. The car runs great thanks to the help of Dr. Phil. I did all of the labor and re-wiring of the car myself.

I could do the tranny conversion in my sleep now, except for the reprogramming of the PCM. I don't know crap on how to tune a car with software.

I should have started with a FRC or Z06 and not a coupe. I am in the midst of a body kit conversion on my coupe that ACP is doing along with a change over from the coupe to an FRC. Kerry Hitt the owner of ACP has just been just great to work with and I could not have asked for a better body shop / fabricator to deal with.

Today, after many problems in getting my project completed, I have decided to abandon the body kit that I have and put on a milder body enhancement treatment

My decision to change course was due to the wheels and tires that I purchased for a large amount of money, becoming a headache.

I had purchased some custom CCW's that were made with the right offsets to fill out the wheel wells and I had them chromed by a another supporting vendor. I just put the wheels on about (4) months ago and the chrome is starting to peel off.

I am not sure of what the outcome will be with this vendor, but I am just too tired and frustrated to continue any further. It's time to shut it down and cut my losses.

I started (3) years ago and finally just got the car running. I've decided that if you're not in the business of designing and making custom cars for a living you should just stay out of making wild creations.

Here is a couple of pictures of the unfinished project with the current body kit that is going to be scrapped in leiu of a more subtle treatment. This way I can use off the shelf wheels and tires and other parts if something breaks.

Sorry for the long winded response, but for those with aspirations to do something similar, I thought I would share my story.

Get notified of new replies

To put together dash now lights don't work

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: put together dash now lights don't work