C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short shifter, now reverse problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:21 PM
MagRed_00
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short shifter, now reverse problems

I just shortened my stock shifter by removing the rubber insert and tapping/ drilling it. Gears 1-6 are very nice and smooth, but pushing the shifter over to reverse is extremely difficult. I don't want to man handle it because I'm afraid of bending something. Is there a reason this happens or should I just go get a C6 shifter and junk this one? I've got to get tires on Monday so is it okay to drive or should I reschedule?

I checked the neutral alignment and it looks good. Also, could I have bent the shaft while tapping?

I did not have this issue in the last 2 C5's I performed this mod on....
Old 02-20-2010, 09:28 AM
MagRed_00
Instructor

Turns out I jacked up the car before this and must have had pressure one something. I did the shifter adjustment and started the car and it works great now. Hopefully this will help someone when they search.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

How do you like the results, compared to stock or aftermarket shifters?
I think your the only other person I know that has made the effort to do this mod.

Last edited by Greg_E; 02-20-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 98 won't go into reverse unless the key is on-the lockout solenoid prevents it-was the key on when you first tried it?
Old 02-21-2010, 12:38 PM
MagRed_00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carcass
My 98 won't go into reverse unless the key is on-the lockout solenoid prevents it-was the key on when you first tried it?
Nope, key was off. That's great advice! I cut a little too much off when I tapped the upper part so the **** sits a little low for my liking now and catches on the boot. I put a momo **** on, which is taller, and I really like it now.

Going to try the C6 shifter/boot and see if I like that better and keep the shortened stocker for later.

Get notified of new replies

To Short shifter, now reverse problems

Quick Reply: Short shifter, now reverse problems