C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to fix your hazard flasher/turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 06:41 AM
z06fred1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have this problem in my 02 Z. replaced the hazard switch, but no joy. I think the new switch was dirty from sitting on the shelf.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:34 PM
yellaone
Intermediate

thanks dave. your instructions made the job very simple!!
Old 08-02-2010, 11:34 PM
MrSauga3
Heel & Toe

Default re replacing the hazard switch.

Originally Posted by Stealth94
Hello, I have been dealing with this problem for several years and have determined a pattern. Mine acts up when the temps are up, it is quite humid and I use the air conditioning. Never fails in the winter. I can prevent it most of the time by directing the air only to the floor. Inconvenient, but works. I can also fix by directing heat to the upper vent. This seems to dry it out. I think this says there is a problem of humidity in the switch from the air conditioning vent. I am going to try this idea of injecting cleaner, but would like anyone who has actually had the dash apart to comment and let me know if there is the possibility that the vent could have a hole in it or any room to insulate the vent or switch better.
I think thats a very good point about cold and condensation causing the problem. Its probably true. Yes a bit of insulation could be stuffed between the two. I just replaced the switch today, it wasnt easy though but next time I could figure it out faster. there's no room to work with it and I finally used long needle nose to pull it towards me to lock it in place.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:20 AM
dlboyd41
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Now What

Hi , just got my 1st vette last week, a 2000 model. The blinkers/flashers stopped working the day after i brought it home. Found this site and replaced the flasher, 40 bucks at the chevy store and all was well yesterday after the install. This morning they do no work???????
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:22 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Easy fix for this problem. Takes about 45 minutes and $9.00. I used Tridon flasher #EL12 from Autozone.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1569256474-post50.html
Old 09-05-2010, 01:34 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

To do this Bypass, All YOU REMOVE IS THE KNEE PANEL, nothing else.

LINK:
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=24

Start at Part 1.

Last edited by Rebel 1; 04-25-2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:12 PM
dlboyd41
Intermediate

Thanks for the info Rebel1, i am concerned about cutting any wires. I follow it except for the "fuse" part of the deal. I just don't get it, it is a brand new gm part that didn't last a day? Makes me wonder if it is something else??? Taking out the old one it started working?? Really annoys me. Drilled a hole in the "new one" gonna try the other remedy spraying some electrical cleaner in there,just have to go get some cleaner, really doubt it is dirty being it is new but hey what the heck! Gonna order the bypass if that doesnt work. Now i can't find the link to it, aaaaaarg. Not a good start for my first vette. Got it last week,booo.

Last edited by dlboyd41; 09-07-2010 at 05:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-07-2010, 05:41 PM
dlboyd41
Intermediate

On second thought i will try this fix, the only thing i am confused about is where you said don't cut the pink wire? From the picture it appears you did? Or did you just strip it? I am not a mechanic so i am sorry for being so dumb? How do you get the rubber cover on it if it was not cut? I that the heat shrink stuff? Thank you very very much Peter
Old 09-07-2010, 06:13 PM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Old 09-07-2010, 08:51 PM
bmg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced by flasher switch, not too hard to do the swap...... but what a pain in the a$$ to put back in!
Old 09-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Originally Posted by dlboyd41
Thanks for the info Rebel1, i am concerned about cutting any wires. I follow it except for the "fuse" part of the deal. I just don't get it, it is a brand new gm part that didn't last a day? Makes me wonder if it is something else??? Taking out the old one it started working?? Really annoys me. Drilled a hole in the "new one" gonna try the other remedy spraying some electrical cleaner in there,just have to go get some cleaner, really doubt it is dirty being it is new but hey what the heck! Gonna order the bypass if that doesnt work. Now i can't find the link to it, aaaaaarg. Not a good start for my first vette. Got it last week,booo.
Fuse part?
I fixed this turn "signal problem" permanately with this fix on our '02. Once it is done you will never worry about this again. That hazard switch is junk, made in England. You still have it for flashers though.
I got the electronic flasher from Autozone part#EL12.
The Only wire you cut is the Purple wire. Don't cut the Pink wire,you just open up the insulation some and connect 1 flasher wire to it and then just tape it up with electrical tape.
Don't worry about it once you do this simple $9.00 fix you're done!
Old 09-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

On second thought i will try this fix, the only thing i am confused about is where you said don't cut the pink wire? From the picture it appears you did? Or did you just strip it? I am not a mechanic so i am sorry for being so dumb? How do you get the rubber cover on it if it was not cut? I that the heat shrink stuff? Thank you very very much Peter
Like it says unfasten the white connector. You will be working on the side with the White Paper Tags.
Don't Cut the Pink wire. Strip/pull some insulation off of it(about 1/2 inch) and connect 1 wire of your new electronic flasher to it. Look at the image closely from the link. Be sure and put electrical tape on it. Connect the other flasher wire to the purple wire and you are done! Check and make sure it works before put the knee panel back on.
Just because you are not a mechanic doesn't mean you're dumb. People here are trying to find info. to fix things that you would pay a dealer a lot of $$$ to fix. When i joined i didn't know very much about a newer Vette. I was always into the older cars. This forum is a wealth of information.
Just take your time and it will be done in about 45 min. and then you can feel satisfied knowing you did it yourself! Let me know when you got it! Bob
Old 09-24-2010, 11:22 AM
555 Guy
4th Gear

Default What an Easy Fix...Thanks to our Members!

Originally Posted by Stealth94
Hello, I have been dealing with this problem for several years and have determined a pattern. Mine acts up when the temps are up, it is quite humid and I use the air conditioning. Never fails in the winter. I can prevent it most of the time by directing the air only to the floor. Inconvenient, but works. I can also fix by directing heat to the upper vent. This seems to dry it out. I think this says there is a problem of humidity in the switch from the air conditioning vent. I am going to try this idea of injecting cleaner, but would like anyone who has actually had the dash apart to comment and let me know if there is the possibility that the vent could have a hole in it or any room to insulate the vent or switch better.
Thanks to this thread, plus reading a few related commentaries, I solved this exact problem at no cost other than taking time to read some great comments.

Bought my 2000 in Nov 08 and added about 600 miles to date, meaning I don't take it out very often. Yesterday decided to drive my jewel to work, but immediately realized turn signals didn't work...1st time event for me...so returned home concerned. When I purchased this car, looked like it came off the showroom floor and has performed equally well, so having a Vette problem is really alien to me.

Anyway, checked fuses this AM and all good. Tried turn signals again but still nothing. Tried the flasher and worked 3-4 times, then stopped. Noted flasher worked once or twice while holding button in, and even turn signals worked a time or two before nothing. Next step...Corvette Forum and hope for similar problem with solutions.

Read excellent articles (some with great inserts) on replacing flashers. "Docohm" started this thread and looked promising. Then "phils C5 vette" & "Stealth94" cracked the code for me. Phils uses his car about 2x month, much like me. Stealth94 referenced humidity, which can logically cause corrosion or moisture to interfere with electrical connections. I live near Annapolis, MD, and we've had nothing but high humidity for the entire summer. So even I could put these two thoughts together and think, "wallah", maybe we’re onto something.

Went to the garage and discovered flashers were operating, just like "jmmy" reported (02/21.08) in his thread. Had I not returned to the garage, the obvious would have happened, as "Docimastic" reported with similar concern (07/14/09), leaving flasher switch in IN/ON position. So I've now got the scent and thinking we're gonna solve this.

The rest is easy. Reading "TNX ZORA" post (02/22/08), I heeded his complex tasks and meticulously followed his step-by-step instruction....cycled the flasher button 45-50 times! That was it. Both turn signals and flasher worked fine. Tried an hour later and all still working fine.

So for the moment, I believe my occasional driving, combined with high humidity, likely created the above condition. Now know enough to ensure I hit the flasher button regularly, as do “TNX ZORA” & “Bill Curlee” (02/23/08). Should the problem continue, I'll follow "FL_Dave" suggestion (10/03/09) and squirt some electrical cleaner through a small hole.

Want to thank so many for providing great assistance and expertise in solving a potentially dangerous condition. Again, the problem is apparently resolved at no cost, and I learned lots along the way. You all make the Forum what it is. 555 Guy
Old 09-24-2010, 11:30 AM
dlboyd41
Intermediate

Very well said Sir!
Oh, and thank you Rebel1, I got it done. I did have to tie both pink wires together to get mine to work.

Last edited by dlboyd41; 09-24-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: update
The following users liked this post:
Lieutal (10-23-2018)
Old 09-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Very well said Sir!
Oh, and thank you Rebel1, I got it done. I did have to tie both pink wires together to get mine to work.
You're welcome! It is nice to know you will always have signals when needed.
I had tried exercising the hazard switch about a 150 times over several months Plus using contact cleaner and signals would sometimes work for a while. The car sits in a climate controlled garage with No Humidity or Moisture with only occasional driving so i knew that had nothing to do with the hazard switch whether that affected it or not.
Wife drives this car and i wanted a Permanent fix.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:19 PM
scottsdalecessna
Intermediate

you can't beat the harness that installs with just removal of the panel beneath the steering wheel. And it keeps my column lock bypass company.....
Old 11-17-2010, 11:05 PM
CPP1
Intermediate

I just replaced my switch and did it in under an hour. Thank you for the great instructions!

Get notified of new replies

To How to fix your hazard flasher/turn signal problem

Old 04-24-2011, 10:16 PM
HD_Honey
5th Gear

Default autozone flasher #EL12 work in an 04?

I've already changed out the hazard switch--seemed like it corrected the problem with my lights--with the exception of the front driver's blinker..started dim--now out--along with rear pass blinker-which was working fine! Trying to head outta town for a 4500mile trip in 2 days! HELP!!
Old 04-25-2011, 01:17 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Originally Posted by HD_Honey
I've already changed out the hazard switch--seemed like it corrected the problem with my lights--with the exception of the front driver's blinker..started dim--now out--along with rear pass blinker-which was working fine! Trying to head outta town for a 4500mile trip in 2 days! HELP!!
I used the EL-12 Tridon flasher to Bypass the original troublesome hazard switch, but since you have changed out the hazard switch it sounds like your front blinker bulb has finally burnt out.
Install a new front drivers bulb.

The rear pass. bulb sounds like it is burned out as well.
All the bulbs must be good for signals to operate correctly.

Edit: Happened to remember, Some people have had problems with their turn signal switch. If the above doesn't fix it, could be that.

Good luck.

Bob

Last edited by Rebel 1; 04-25-2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:22 AM
HD_Honey
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Rebel 1
I used the EL-12 Tridon flasher to Bypass the original troublesome hazard switch, but since you have changed out the hazard switch it sounds like your front blinker bulb has finally burnt out.
Install a new front drivers bulb.

The rear pass. bulb sounds like it is burned out as well.
All the bulbs must be good for signals to operate correctly.

Edit: Happened to remember, Some people have had problems with their turn signal switch. If the above doesn't fix it, could be that.

Good luck.

Bob
Front bulb is an led & only half of it is working--so replacing that bulb--however, the rear bulbs are standard bulbs & still good. So in the end, still don't have rear pass blinkers--got brake lights & flashers--

Quick Reply: How to fix your hazard flasher/turn signal problem