C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to fix your hazard flasher/turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 05:22 PM
DubyaS6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so read through all of this and it seems like most are having the best luck with the switch replacement which I am definitely not opposed to doing; however I do have a question:

Will this solve the problem of my bulbs going bad? My turn signals seem to work fine until it rains or the car is washed etc and then they stop working because the bulbs are bad. If I replace them, they are back without a problem.

I have reason to believe my issue isn't with the switch, its with my bulbs going back extremely fast. Maybe due to getting wet somehow? Is this a common problem?

It's about to drive me insane.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:19 PM
Blue_C5
4th Gear

Default C5 Turn Signals

I drilled the hole and worked the flasher button which cleans the gunk off the contacts. Lasted about 1 month.
Redid the procedure and they have been working flawlessly for more than a year. Don't waste your time and money on a new flasher switch assy.

Bob Drake
Blue C5

Originally Posted by FL_Dave
A friend from this forum stopped by today with the intermittent turn signal problem. A few years back I posted that one could drill a small hole and squirt electrical cleaner inside. We tried this trick and, so far, so good. The whole process takes 10 minutes - much easier than a switch replacement.

This is what the flasher looks like when taken apart.

Here are the best drill locations.

Just pop off the flasher button and use a dremel and small drill bit to create a hole large enough to accept the straw from the electrical cleaner. (Practice the hole on a scrap first. The bit is smaller than I first thought.) I only drilled one hole. Put the straw in and hooked up the spray can. A quick squirt, work the flasher, a few more squirts, then work the flasher again.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:20 PM
Blue_C5
4th Gear

Methos works great! You may have to repeat it a few times to clean the contacts well. It has been a year and mine are still working fine.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:48 PM
JESSTERLSX
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Rise up from the dead ye old thread haha! Awesome info in here gang. Quick question, I intend to put LEDs in the from(switchback) and LEDs in the rear. The flasher fix thing from Corvette Enhancements would fix my flashers not working sometimes and it would stop hyper flash. Is that correct?
Old 05-31-2017, 01:51 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by JESSTERLSX
Rise up from the dead ye old thread haha! Awesome info in here gang. Quick question, I intend to put LEDs in the from(switchback) and LEDs in the rear. The flasher fix thing from Corvette Enhancements would fix my flashers not working sometimes and it would stop hyper flash. Is that correct?
C5 Hyperflash Harness, available from several vendors. One has them on sale right now in the parts section.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:38 PM
JESSTERLSX
Advanced

Originally Posted by AE Guy
C5 Hyperflash Harness, available from several vendors. One has them on sale right now in the parts section.
Understood. So the hyper flash harness that I mentioned or any others that are similar, they will serve both purposes that I mentioned? Fix LED hyper flash and the hazard switch blinker issue? That was the point of my comment.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:45 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Understood. So the hyper flash harness that I mentioned or any others that are similar, they will serve both purposes that I mentioned? Fix LED hyper flash and the hazard switch blinker issue? That was the point of my comment.
Hyperflash Harness is the cure when installing LED's in the taillights and front corners. To be honest, I haven't had time to read through this whole old thread to see what the hazard issue is.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:30 PM
JESSTERLSX
Advanced

Yes I knos what hyper flash is and that the harness will fix that... The entire point to my question is will it fix both? If you're not sure cool. Hopefully someone else knows. I know that it will fix hyper flash that is literally its name and description.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:24 AM
chain_5001
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes I knos what hyper flash is and that the harness will fix that... The entire point to my question is will it fix both? If you're not sure cool. Hopefully someone else knows. I know that it will fix hyper flash that is literally its name and description.
Yes, the hyper flash harness will​ fix the blinkers if they are not working. The hyper flash harness will bypass/replace the original flasher for the blinkers.
The following users liked this post:
JESSTERLSX (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 01:10 AM
TGO
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel 1
Easy fix for this problem. Takes about 45 minutes and $9.00. I used Tridon flasher #EL12 from Autozone.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1569256474-post50.html
Originally Posted by Rebel 1
To do this Bypass, All YOU REMOVE IS THE KNEE PANEL, nothing else.

LINK:
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=24

Start at Part 1.
Yeah I bought one of the plug in bypass kits from some vendor here. Took 5 minutes and worked like a charm. Ya'll are crazy messing with taking apart switches and drilling holes.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:31 AM
JESSTERLSX
Advanced

Originally Posted by chain_5001
Yes, the hyper flash harness will​ fix the blinkers if they are not working. The hyper flash harness will bypass/replace the original flasher for the blinkers.
Awesome! Then I'll just order that instead of getting resistors. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2017, 03:39 PM
Ronald M.
Cruising

2003 right front turn signal does not work, changed the bulb still does not work
Old 09-07-2017, 10:49 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TGO
Yeah I bought one of the plug in bypass kits from some vendor here. Took 5 minutes and worked like a charm. Ya'll are crazy messing with taking apart switches and drilling holes.
IF you had Actually Read the links i provided it there is NO "Taking apart switches" Or "Drilling holes". Spewing false info. is Not helpful to others.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:00 PM
TimHaws
2nd Gear

Default Link not working

I can't get the link to work?

Originally Posted by docohm
Having trouble with your turn signals? Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't? Mine was doing that too, at first I could mess with the emergency flasher button and the turn signals would work. Then I had to move it more and more. Finally, they quit working all together. So I finally took the time to replace it. I documented the whole method here:
http://www.kd5fx.com/vette.html
This is using the 'easy' method where you can do it through the radio hole.
Save the wave!
Doc
Old 03-26-2018, 09:53 PM
JESSTERLSX
Advanced

http://www.kd5fx.com/HSwitch/HSwitch.htm

Try that
Old 03-27-2018, 08:00 AM
TimHaws
2nd Gear

Default Thank you

thanks so much
Old 01-25-2019, 11:51 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by docohm
Having trouble with your turn signals? Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't? Mine was doing that too, at first I could mess with the emergency flasher button and the turn signals would work. Then I had to move it more and more. Finally, they quit working all together. So I finally took the time to replace it. I documented the whole method here:
http://www.kd5fx.com/vette.html
This is using the 'easy' method where you can do it through the radio hole.
Save the wave!
Doc
Great info. Your link has been bookmarked.

Get notified of new replies

To How to fix your hazard flasher/turn signal problem

Old 02-26-2019, 09:58 AM
TL2005
4th Gear

docohm,
I'm brand new to Forum. I have a 2005, driven infrequently. Recently the flashers started going off by themselves. They blink about 20 minutes every 15 minutes. The first time we weren't home and the battery ran down. I am NOT having turn signal issues and have no error codes or message on DIC. Have looked at both fuse boxes (engine and passenger floor).and cannot find a bad fuse.I can't find a post in this thread with exact symptoms but don't feel I need to use the bypass solution because the turn signals work fine. Right now the battery is disconnected. What would be the next suggested solution before taking to dealer?
Old 02-26-2019, 03:09 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by TL2005
docohm,
I'm brand new to Forum. I have a 2005, driven infrequently. Recently the flashers started going off by themselves. They blink about 20 minutes every 15 minutes. The first time we weren't home and the battery ran down. I am NOT having turn signal issues and have no error codes or message on DIC. Have looked at both fuse boxes (engine and passenger floor).and cannot find a bad fuse.I can't find a post in this thread with exact symptoms but don't feel I need to use the bypass solution because the turn signals work fine. Right now the battery is disconnected. What would be the next suggested solution before taking to dealer?
You may want to go over to the C6 Tech section and ask there. Someone may have come across this issue. This is C5 Tech.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:55 PM
RJCarr
1st Gear

FL Dave - I have been at your post several times over the last couple of years - each time intending to fix the turn signal issue. Today, after the headlight problem was resolved (again without having to add the metal gear), I took a stab at your proffered signal solution - Dremel and WD-40. Without the in-dash photo with the straw sticking out I would have been at a loss to follow the otherwise simple procedure. [I had to grab a flashlight to prove my switch looked like yours.] It took longer to get the flasher button off than it did to drill a hole and shoot in WD-40. I have to put gas in the car for first time this year so I will check out the fix while on the road. So far it looks like another problem solved. Thanks much.

Quick Reply: How to fix your hazard flasher/turn signal problem