C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe top squeak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Groucho
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coupe top squeak?

I have a 98 coupe. I use the Dielectric grease regularly on the rubber near the top....but I seem to be getting squeaks while going over uneven roads or bumps....anyone else notice this or have a fix?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:28 PM
JesseB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Default *

Yeah I noticed the same thing in my car. im sorry i dont have a solution i just ignore it and turn up the radio
Old 10-04-2007, 05:53 AM
Talim
Instructor

i just fixed it yesterday, but going allot on uneven roads or bumps causes it to be back.

remove the top and you will find the to stands that support the roof and holds the locks, just loosen the two size 10 bolts and lower the stand then tighten them again. do the same to the other side then put the top back on and try it.

HTH

Last edited by Talim; 10-04-2007 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:58 AM
Bounty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Talim
remove the top and you will find the to stands that support the roof and holds the locks, just looseen the two size 10 bolts and lower the stand then tighten them again...
...by the way, a tunnel brace helps to reduce squeeks and noises throughout the interior on the older C5's. You may want to look into this as well...
Old 10-04-2007, 09:18 AM
trussme
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I have a 98 coupe. I use the Dielectric grease regularly on the rubber near the top....but I seem to be getting squeaks while going over uneven roads or bumps....anyone else notice this or have a fix?

Both the front and rear latches can be made to clamp down the top tighter. In the front, you need to loosen the two bolts on each latch plate. These are 10 mm bolts located at the top of the windshield, behind the plastic trim.

Once the bolts are loosened, tap the whole plate down as far as you like, then tighten the bolts back up. The farther you tap the plate down, the tighter the top will be pressed down when latched. To tighten the rear latch, locate the set screw that holds the hook in place. Loosen it with an allen wrench (can’t remember the size, but it was a small metric one). Once the set screw is loose, simply turn the hook (it is threaded) clockwise as many turns as you like. This makes the effective length of the hook smaller and therefore increases clamping force when engaged.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:57 AM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Adjust the panel

AdjRoof Lift Off Panel Adjustment
1. Perform one or more of the following five adjustment procedures to properly align the roof lift off panel.

2. To adjust the front striker for up down roof alignment perform the following steps:
3. Remove the windshield upper garnish molding. Refer to Windshield Upper Garnish Molding Replacement in Interior Trim.
A. For major up down roof adjustment loosen the striker bolts and reposition the latch striker up or down.
B. For minor up or down roof adjustment loosen the striker outboard bolt and slightly loosen the inboard bolt, pivot the striker on the inboard bolt in 2 mm (0.08 in) increments up or down.
Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
C. Tighten the striker bolts. Tighten
Tighten the roof front latch handle striker bolts to 10 N•m (89 lb in).
D. When the striker is properly adjusted the handle will snap closed.
4. Install the windshield upper garnish molding. Refer to Windshield Upper Garnish Molding Replacement in Interior Trim.

5. To adjust the front latch handle forward or rearward perform the following steps:
. Loosen the latch handle bolts.
A. Position the latch handle forward or rearward. Maintain a minimum of 2 mm (0.08 in) clearance between latch handle and the latch striker to avoid squeaks and rattles.
B. Assure the latch handle base is parallel to the striker to provide clearance to the sunshade mirror door.
C. Tighten the latch handle bolts. Tighten
Tighten the roof front latch handle bolts to 13 N•m (10 lb ft).

6. For major rear latch adjustment adjust the rear latch striker performing the following steps:
A. Remove the roof lift off panel.
B. Remove the roof bow center interior trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Rear Roof Bow in Interior Trim.
C. Loosen the rear latch striker attaching bolts.
D. Adjust the position of the latch striker forward or rearward for major adjustment.
E. Tighten the striker attaching bolts. Tighten
Tighten the roof rear striker bolts to 10 N•m (89 lb in).
F. Install the roof lift off panel.

7. For minor rear latch adjustment, adjust the latch handle hook one turn at a time to achieve moderate pressure to the latch as follows.
. Remove the roof lift off panel.
A. Loosen the set screw locking the latch hook.
B. Turn the hook in to tighten or out to loosen.
C. Tighten the set screw.
D. Install the roof panel.

8. To adjust the rear locator perform the following steps:
. With the roof installed on the vehicle loosen the locator mounting bolts.
A. Reposition the locator.
B. Tighten the mounting bolts. Tighten
Tighten the roof rear locator to locator bracket bolts to 10 N•m (89 lb in).
© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Groucho
Drifting

Default Thanks!!

Looks like I have a weekend project!!

Old 10-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Showdown
Pro

Originally Posted by Groucho
Looks like I have a weekend project!!