C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Inner fender question???

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 05:42 PM
C5TORCHED
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Inner fender question???

Ok I have almost everything I need to put my 98 Vert on the road. Except the front inner fenders. The question is -- Both of my front inner fenders are perfect EXCEPT the very front(in front of both front tires) is missing about 8-10 inches from bottom up. The piece that broken looks like it is glued to the large inner fenders, can this be purchased separetly or do I need to buy the whole entire assembly from fire wall to front bumper????
Old 10-07-2007, 06:30 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by C5TORCHED
Ok I have almost everything I need to put my 98 Vert on the road. Except the front inner fenders. The question is -- Both of my front inner fenders are perfect EXCEPT the very front(in front of both front tires) is missing about 8-10 inches from bottom up. The piece that broken looks like it is glued to the large inner fenders, can this be purchased separetly or do I need to buy the whole entire assembly from fire wall to front bumper????
If that area has been either cut, modified or damaged before, it sounds like someone has attempted a repair by gluing on patch panels.
The front inner fender panels are available only as a one piece assembly.

Driver side: 10407333
Passenger side: 10407334

Be advised that these panels require they be bonded (glued) to the frame rails during assembly and the correct positioning of them is absolutely CRITICAL as the fenders themselves ultimately bolt directly to them. If the inner panel alignment is off, the fenders will be too! The "glue" used by the factory is either an epoxy or epoxy-like material and dries hard as a rock.
HTH
Old 10-07-2007, 07:01 PM
C5TORCHED
Instructor

I bought the car with the pieces already broken. No one tried to repair but now that I am looking to purchase I have people asking what part of the front inner fender I need. I thought it was all 1 piece, are they???
Old 10-07-2007, 07:03 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

I bought the car with the pieces already broken. No one tried to repair but now that I am looking to purchase I have people asking what part of the front inner fender I need. I thought it was all 1 piece, are they???
The fender itself is a one piece unit as is the inner fender. It's the inner fender (wheel well housing) that I thought you were talking about being broken.

The part numbers I posted are for the inner fender panels and yes, as I said, they are one piece.

BTW, is this "broken" area of which you speak around the area where the brake cooling ducts come through?

Last edited by LoneStarFRC; 10-07-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:11 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Tip: If it's painted the same color as the car, it's the fender. If it's not painted the color of the car, it's the inner fender panel. These are two different pieces.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:31 PM
C5TORCHED
Instructor

Yes its the part where the brake ducts go through, half the hole is still there. And I think there are 3 small holes where it would bolt to the front rubber bumper -1 or 2 of those holes are broken off.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:13 PM
C5TORCHED
Instructor

actually I found a diagram that shows the front inner fender can be separated in 2 parts. the inner fender housing(runs from fire wall to front bumper) and outer wheel housing(thin outer edge thats shaped like a half of circle).
Old 10-07-2007, 09:14 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

actually I found a diagram that shows the front inner fender can be separated in 2 parts. the inner fender housing(runs from fire wall to front bumper) and outer wheel housing(thin outer edge thats shaped like a half of circle).
OK. I think I understand what you're saying however, the inner housing is only available under one part number though. It's possible GM assembled two otherwise separate pieces together to make a single unit. I did check in the collision repair section of the factory shop manual and there is a picture of what you're talking about. That picture is one intended to show what the various body panels are made out of ("sheet molded compound" in this case). It does appear in that picture that there are two separate pieces, but here again, the replacement part is only shown as one piece and also in the actual repair procedure itself, makes no mention at all of two separate pieces. Kinda confusing from that standpoint.

Bottom line: You need to order either one or both of the part numbers I listed to repair the area you're working on. In this case it wouldn't do any good to try and locate a parts car either as the process of heating and/or prying the old inner fender well will almost certainly damage it and then you would just be right back where you started.

HTH
Old 10-10-2007, 11:13 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Old 10-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

Get notified of new replies

To Front Inner fender question???

Quick Reply: Front Inner fender question???