C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment Specs

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Vette Girl
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Default Alignment Specs

Guys, getting Michelin Pilot Sports installed this week on my '01 vert and am also going to haved the front end aligned at the same time. Currently the car drives well but is wearing the outside of the left front severely. Was curious as to your opinions on the factory alignment specs. This is my daily driver, my main concern is not so much with performance as it is with tire wear and overall drivability. Does anybody have any first hand knowledge or experience as to the best setting(s) to optimize the aforementioned?

Are the factory alignment specs sufficient for what I'm looking for?

TIA
Old 10-09-2007, 04:43 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Thisis a link to a site that many of us use for the performance settings..
but you will note that they also have daily dirver alignment specs as well...
They have not updated them for the last 2 C5 years, but they are the same...

http://www.vbandp.com/instructions/h...ruct/align.htm
Old 10-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Vette Girl
Drifting

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by rws.1
Thisis a link to a site that many of us use for the performance settings..
but you will note that they also have daily dirver alignment specs as well...
They have not updated them for the last 2 C5 years, but they are the same...

http://www.vbandp.com/instructions/h...ruct/align.htm
Thanks for the link!

I'm curious to see what specs others are using...
Old 10-09-2007, 05:11 PM
0Doug@MorosoPerformance
Former Vendor

Get a four wheel alignment. It is worth the extra money in handling and tire wear.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:08 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want the max performance I would suggest going with just a tad (0.02") toe-in both front and back, then about -1.2 degrees camber in the back and -1.4 in the front. you wil get just a little bit of inside wear with these settings, but not so much that the tires will prematurely wear out. The greater camber in the front will also allow for a bit better turn-in...

FWIW I am running -2.1 camber front and -1.4 camber rear with 0 toe in or out. I wear pretty fast on the inside up front - faster than I like, and plan to reduce down to -1.4 next time I do tires. In the back with -1.4 the tires wear just slightly to the inside, and I see chords on the inside right about the time I hit wear bars on the outside. I also want to add just a tad of toe-in to help the car track down the highway...
Old 10-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Front Camber = -.75
Front Toe = 0
Front Caster = 7.9

Rear Camber = -.75
Rear Toe = -.01

This is what I am running and it handles like it's on rails. I do have Pfadts coilovers and C6Z sways, though. Also will give you minimal tire wear. On the street you will not notice anything from more camber except more tire wear. If you are going to hit the track then dial in more camber. BTW, camber helps traction in the turn. Toe in is what affects turn in. Toe's compromise is stability at speed vs quick turn in.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:14 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Girl
Guys, getting Michelin Pilot Sports installed this week on my '01 vert and am also going to haved the front end aligned at the same time. Currently the car drives well but is wearing the outside of the left front severely. Was curious as to your opinions on the factory alignment specs. This is my daily driver, my main concern is not so much with performance as it is with tire wear and overall drivability. Does anybody have any first hand knowledge or experience as to the best setting(s) to optimize the aforementioned?

Are the factory alignment specs sufficient for what I'm looking for?

TIA
The left front can be affected by road crown also. If you live and drive on roads with a large crown then you should put some more camber in the front left.

Randy
PS If you are on the gas at all, please put some toe-in in the rear 1/8 inch total

Last edited by Randy@DRM; 10-09-2007 at 11:23 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 10-10-2007, 09:20 AM
LordVader
Burning Brakes

Good call on the MPS's Vette Girl You won't regret it for daily driving duties...

IMO, a far superior wet traction tire than the stockers...
Old 10-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use whatever specs Danny "Corvette God" Popp put in mine ...
Old 10-10-2007, 09:43 AM
LordVader
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wah
I use whatever specs Danny "Corvette God" Popp put in mine ...
And they would be?
Old 10-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Vette Girl
Drifting

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by jbauch357
If you want the max performance I would suggest going with just a tad (0.02") toe-in both front and back, then about -1.2 degrees camber in the back and -1.4 in the front. you wil get just a little bit of inside wear with these settings, but not so much that the tires will prematurely wear out. The greater camber in the front will also allow for a bit better turn-in...

FWIW I am running -2.1 camber front and -1.4 camber rear with 0 toe in or out. I wear pretty fast on the inside up front - faster than I like, and plan to reduce down to -1.4 next time I do tires. In the back with -1.4 the tires wear just slightly to the inside, and I see chords on the inside right about the time I hit wear bars on the outside. I also want to add just a tad of toe-in to help the car track down the highway...

Thanks for your specs. I'll probably go with 0 camber since it is a daily driver.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:31 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Girl
Thanks for your specs. I'll probably go with 0 camber since it is a daily driver.
You can go 0 but I would say go -0.5 on the camber, it won't cause any adverse tire wear and will keep a good contact patch under cornering conditions. also do the 4 wheel alignment, it's definately worth the few extra dollars...
Old 10-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Vette Girl
Drifting

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by jbauch357
You can go 0 but I would say go -0.5 on the camber, it won't cause any adverse tire wear and will keep a good contact patch under cornering conditions. also do the 4 wheel alignment, it's definately worth the few extra dollars...
Think I'll take you up on your advice! Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment Specs

Quick Reply: Alignment Specs