C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 04:22 AM
Blackjetvette97
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible exhaust leak

Hi all,
I had my car looked at by the dealer and they said it runs good(on the scope), but I still hear a "ticking" noise in the engine. The tech said there is probably an exhaust leak near the manifold. It sounded like it was on the passenger side when I was under it changing the oil. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to look for when determining if I have a leak??? Could it be a bad seal causing the leak and "tick"???? Thanks for any help/advice.

Steve
Old 11-14-2001, 10:54 PM
Ronnysho
Advanced

Default Re: Possible exhaust leak (Blackjetvette97)

ttt
Old 11-14-2001, 11:49 PM
C5Noir
Safety Car

Default Re: Possible exhaust leak (Blackjetvette97)

Did you put aftermarket headers on the car? You could see some burnt exhaust gases, soot, around your header flanges indicating a leak. Also, you could try an automotive stethoscope to pinpoint where the tick is originating from. Also, if you did put aftermarket headers on check the torque on the header bolts. Let us know what you find out. Did you do a mechanical overrev? You could have bent a pushrod or few?

Get notified of new replies

To Possible exhaust leak

Quick Reply: Possible exhaust leak