C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical gremlins in trunk (Z06/FRC)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:08 AM
DJazidca
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Electrical gremlins in trunk (Z06/FRC)

OK - here's an interesting electrical gremlin that my Z06 has recently acquired. Normally when you pop the trunk of a Z06 or FRC, you hear a relatively high pitched motor noise followed by a quick "thunk". Over the past month, when I pop the trunk, I hear the motor noise, but no "thunk". When I try to close the trunk, it doesn't re-latch. I slam the trunk and it just bounces.

It gets even more strange. If I unplug the electrical connector to the trunk latch, then plug it back in, I hear the missing "thunk" noise and I am immediately able to close the trunk again.

This behavior is sproradic. It happens about 10% of the time I pop my trunk. It is VERY annoying.

Something in the latch mechanism needs to be replaced or lubricated. Anybody know what it is?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:47 PM
SilvaDragon
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This sounds like a relay is sticking closed, and preventing the
latch from resetting. Instead of unplugging the latch, try pulling
the relay and see if it then resets. If so, I'd start with the relay.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:34 PM
DJazidca
Advanced

I replaced the relay and the problem persists. While the fuse box was open I could actually hear the relay when I attempted to pop the trunk.

I think we've narrowed it down to an electrical problem in or near the trunk release mechanism itself.

Next guess?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:21 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by DJazidca
I replaced the relay and the problem persists. While the fuse box was open I could actually hear the relay when I attempted to pop the trunk.

I think we've narrowed it down to an electrical problem in or near the trunk release mechanism itself.

Next guess?
Mine has just started doing this very recently. It seems as though when the trunk latch mechanism releases, it is not staying in the "open" or "unlatched" position and ready for the trunk lid to be closed. Instead, it seems as if the latch mechanism is releasing the trunk and then "re-latching". The way I have been dealing with it so far is to either:
a. Push the trunk release button on the FOB again to try to "reset" the latch mechanism to the "open" position (sometimes works) or,
b. Push the trunk release button on the dash to accomplish the same thing (seems to work every time).

I haven't dug into this yet but I'm thinking it's the trunk latch actuator mechanism itself.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:10 PM
SilvaDragon
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJazidca

Next guess?

Having tried the easy thing, now you try the hard thing.

Pull what interior panels you need to get access to the
release mechanism, and leave them out until the problem
recurrs and you can examine the latches to see what is
happening.

You'll probably find that the "rewind" mechanism that puts
the latches into the "receive" position isn't working all the
time. If the mechanism looks dried up and miserable,
maybe some spray lubricant will help matters along, or
maybe you'll need to replace it...
Old 10-17-2007, 10:44 PM
DJazidca
Advanced

Yeah, that's not going to be fun. GM did a nice job of shielding the mechanical parts - so good that I'm not sure I'll be able to get in there without drilling out some rivets.

LoneStarFRC, my problem seems to be different than yours. No amount of pressing buttons on the remote or inside the car fixes my problem once it starts. Unplugging it still fixes the problem every time though. Weird.

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical gremlins in trunk (Z06/FRC)

Quick Reply: Electrical gremlins in trunk (Z06/FRC)