C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Year 2000 Automatic has erroneous dashboard readouts

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 12:36 AM
SunnyRainbowHeart
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5 Year 2000 Automatic has erroneous dashboard readouts

Erroneous dashboard screen readouts appear every day throughout each driving session. They stump two mechanics I've gone to. The crazy readouts include but are not limited to:

(1) REPLACE OIL (this readout appears even minutes after the oil has been changed)
(2) ABS BRAKES need servicing
(3) TRACKING SYSTEM
(4) Do not drive car above 55 m.p.h.
(5) FLAT TIRE (false reading appears alternately for each of 4 tires and sometimes for all 4 simultaneously)
(6) ZERO OIL PRESSURE
(7) Other false readouts I cannot remember

My guess as a layman is that it's an electrical problem but that is a generality. What specific electrical problem? Where? What caused it? How to fix it? Are some of them sensor problems and others electrical problems? Can some be both?

I also wonder if the aforementioned are related to the following problems I posted yesterday that:

(8) HORN seldom works;
(9) TURN SIGNALSseldom work;
(10) EMERGENCY FLASHER doesn't work most of the time.
(11) Sometimes stalls out and WON'T CRANK even after a couple of hours of high speed freeway driving.

Late yesterday night a new symptom presented itself as I was driving home from the mechanic (who couldn't find anything wrong with it; another mechanic I had taken my 'Vette to FIVE times and he still couldn't fix it):

(12) The DRIVER'S SIDE WINDOW came part of the way up. I lowered it all the way down and then fortunately (there have been severe thunderstorms most of the last two months) I was able to close it all the way.

I am so grateful that this forum exists and that so many super-knowledgeable people are so generous with their advice, even adding diagrams and photographs. With appreciation: Sunny

Last edited by SunnyRainbowHeart; 08-23-2017 at 12:49 AM. Reason: I somehow accidentally pushed a key and sent the posting with but a single line of text.

Quick Reply: C5 Year 2000 Automatic has erroneous dashboard readouts