C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In car adjustable ride height

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 08:56 AM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Default In car adjustable ride height

Is there a way to do adjustable ride height in car?
Since there are bolts that can be used to adjust the ride height can't these be mounted on some type of electric drive screw mechanism?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:04 PM
kirker912
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just noticed your post. The bolts won't hold up long to adjustment under a load nor will the threads in the springs/control arm. But don't fret there is a solution.

The solution is air bags. There is quite a bit of work in this, but the outcome is worth it.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:22 PM
gpracer1
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

What about your changing alignment as it goes up and down?
Old 10-18-2007, 05:41 PM
noahdr
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would have negative camber while the car is lowered and positive while its raised. I'm more concerned about cost/work and added weight it would add to the car.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:59 PM
GKE
Pro

Haha, sounds like you want some hydraulics. Welcome to the lowrider world. Being a former member I can help you if you are interested. Hell, I can even get your car to 3 wheel, turtle, pancake, side to side and more. I am the king of lowriders back in the day.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:54 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Create one that is hydraulics based, and in a small package... similar to moving a plunger like our brake caliper and I'd be interested. Just high enough to raise it like an inch, when needing to clear something just for a little while.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:39 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

One idea is to contact Air Ride Technologies and see if they have "shockwaves", which are combination adjustable shocks mated to air bags, that would fit a Vette. In muscle car and street rod applications they allow you to adjust the ride height while on the move. They are not much larger than a conventional shock and in road tests have proven to be good handling suspension components.

Another idea you could investigate is that the Lamborghini Murcielago has a feature that allows the front end to be raised 4" to enter driveways. I have no idea how it works, but maybe someone might be able to enlighten us.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:26 PM
brandtdavis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GKE
Haha, sounds like you want some hydraulics. Welcome to the lowrider world. Being a former member I can help you if you are interested. Hell, I can even get your car to 3 wheel, turtle, pancake, side to side and more. I am the king of lowriders back in the day.
I agree he needs a 4 pump system, 24" telescoping rear cyls. with about 10-12 batteries tucked neatly in the hatch. Closet lowrider here too .
Old 11-04-2007, 07:52 AM
ryoder
Drifting

I like the Lambo idea. Just allow me to dial up the car an inch or two for entry into gas stations, driveways etc.
Seems like adjustable ride height shouldn't be that hard to do.
I'll look into those shockwave shocks
Old 11-04-2007, 08:02 AM
ryoder
Drifting

Here is a solution that the Fiero community came up with.

http://www.kitcarmagazine.com/Featur...irRide2003.htm

I don't like having to install a compressor though. Maybe you could plump a supercharger into it

Get notified of new replies

To In car adjustable ride height

Quick Reply: In car adjustable ride height