C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! New Clutch Installed - Pedal flat to Floor, now stuck up! Car dead!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 11:32 AM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default HELP!! New Clutch Installed - Pedal flat to Floor, now stuck up! Car dead!

I have a 99FRC with 48,000 miles, MN6 gearbox

6th gear synchro needed to be replaced, as well as rear end due to porous rear-end housing casting.

I figured that as long as I had the tranny and rear end out, I would have a 2002 Z06 clutch installed (car sees road course track time at Road America).

I got the car back last night, and the car was driving great. On my way home from the dealership, about 26 miles later, I went to push the clutch in to downshift from 6th gear to 5th gear.

The pedal went straight to the floor with NO resistance. :confused: I lifted it back up with my toes, and it is now locked (stuck) in the up position. It will not move at all.

When you hit the throttle, the motor just revs, so the driveline is dis-engaged.

Car was flat-bedded back to the dealership.

I was thinking that either the hydraulic lines were not bled properly, or somehow the clutch fork was not installed properly to the throwout bearing.

There were no bangs, clunks, or breaking sounds.

Has anybody experienced this or have any ideas?? :confused:
Old 11-15-2001, 11:58 AM
MattG
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I, II, III, IV & V Veteran
CI-I & II Auto-X Champ

Default Re: HELP!! New Clutch Installed - Pedal flat to Floor, now stuck up! Car dead! (jasonberkeley)

Did you replace the master cylinder or slave cylinder as well?

Old 11-15-2001, 12:33 PM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Default Re: HELP!! New Clutch Installed - Pedal flat to Floor, now stuck up! Car dead! (MattG)

Turned out to be a hydraulic line coupling that was improperly fastened at the dealership. Re-connected, bled and A-Ok!
Old 11-15-2001, 05:21 PM
Scott97
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HELP!! New Clutch Installed - Pedal flat to Floor, now stuck up! Car dead! (jasonberkeley)

Excellent news! :yesnod:
Old 11-15-2001, 05:55 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

That quick-disconnect line is a b**ch to get back together. The manual warns about not getting on correctly, but I guess they didn't bother to read it.

At least you got it taken car of pretty quickly.

Dave
Old 11-15-2001, 11:49 PM
C5 Dream
Instructor

Jason,

Glad that it was a simple fix!
I sure hope that they offer to take care of you with some kind of spiff for the inconvenience.. :conehead :conehead :eek:
Old 11-16-2001, 10:53 AM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Default Re: HELP!! New Clutch Installed - Pedal flat to Floor, now stuck up! Car dead! (C5 Dream)

I really couldn't complain much. This all started for two reasons: Synchro needed to be replaced on 6th gear, and my rear end needed to be replaced because of a porous casting causing leaking (rear axle seals replaced many times before figuring out).

Dealer was INCREDIBLEY COOL, and put new synchros on ALL gears in the gearbox and a new 2002 Z06 clutch in ALL UNDER WARRANTY, in addition to the new warrantied rear end.

Also had them de-carb the engine as long as it was in for a few days.

So, I basically have an all new or rebuilt driveline from the engine-back. New clutch, synchros, and rear end, all on warranty.

So even though they muffed up that one thing, and I was stranded for about an hour or so, I am VERY appreciative of the great service I have gotten!

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!! New Clutch Installed - Pedal flat to Floor, now stuck up! Car dead!

Quick Reply: HELP!! New Clutch Installed - Pedal flat to Floor, now stuck up! Car dead!