C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG Coil-Overs, LG G5X3 Cam, LG Headers, and more on C5Z....new mods, I LOVE IT!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 02:21 PM
03Z06Pilot
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LG Coil-Overs, LG G5X3 Cam, LG Headers, and more on C5Z....new mods, I LOVE IT!

Well I’ve now owned the C5Z just over a month and wanted to share my thoughts on the mods. I bought it bone stock and was “convinced” it was perfect just the way it was. Then I took it to the road race course at Texas Motor Speedway less than a week after owning it, yes with temporary tags. I had a blast, but the brakes faded, nearly completely on me and I had to leave the track before my allotted time was up. So I decided to upgrade the brakes, and since brakes were so close to cams, intake, headers, and the underdrive pulley I should upgrade those as well. Topped it off with a dyno tune and was “convinced” the car was perfect. Shortly after that I installed the stereo, which is really 1 10” sub in a custom box with custom amp install, and was “convinced” the car was perfect. Then I got too annoyed with the leaf spring and put the LG coil-overs on it.

Well I have taken it to the track again at Texas Motor Speedway and WOW. It is a different car. The whole “package” is different, but here is a brief description of key points described for the track and street since I, like many people, drive it mainly on the street.

TRACK POWER: Wow, huge improvement. The most noticeable difference is prior to the main straight I was leaving the turn in 3rd gear, and switching to 4th about ˝ way down the main straight. Now I’m leaving the apex of the turn at 6000rpm in 3rd going to 4th. Previous top speed 108mph which was darn good, new top speed 119mph which is an entirely different ball game when it comes to braking at the end of the straight. The rest of the track I was actually feathering the gas quit often instead of flooring it…..no longer racing like a “pissed off teenager” (Talledega Night Quote). Another important note is prior to the mods the engine was getting quit hot, now with the mods the engine stayed cool the whole time!

Another cool point: I nearly got black flagged and pulled into the pits for drifting in the top of 3rd gear! They realized I had it under control and didn’t, thank you TMS and TDE! And of course thanks LG MOTORSPORTS for that ability!

STREET POWER: Wow again. The above says it all. The main question “is it driveable”. YES DEFINITELY! I love it. The cam is the biggest power improvement and I can’t speak highly enough about it. About 4000rpm is when the biggest power increase starts to happen and you can feel it really open up. Also the idle is just “cammy” enough to know something is done, but not annoying. People that know something about cars can definitely tell it’s got a cam, but people that don’t know anything just know it sounds a bit different and “fast”. I also love the headers. Cruising at any speed on an interstate or city road they’re quite, but open it up and they’re there for you to hear. Most importantly of course they are the most powerful on the market!

TRACK SUSPENSION: Definite improvement. Coming out of the last turn already shifting to 4th as stated above is partly due to power, but also the LG Coil-Overs. I love them. The 1st time at the track I complained a lot about the factory seats not having enough lat support. Well that’s partly because it was body rolling through turns like a ford explorer. Also with the original suspension, which was good, I sometimes felt disconnected with the track. A little “floaty”. Not anymore. You can feel everything through the tires as if you are running your fingertips on the ground at each corner of the car. Every weight change with braking, turning, or accelerating is felt. Although the seats still don’t have enough support, I was NOT complaining about it b/c it’s much less “ford exploreree” in turns.

STREET SUSPENSION: YES YES YES!!! I love coil-overs. I was really getting fed up with the leaf spring and knew if I upgraded shocks and sway bars only I would be disappointed. I haven’t done sways yet, and I still want to, but only had so much money at the time. Here’s a list why I love the LG CO’s:

“Car Pull”: GONE! The best way to describe this is when you are on a road that the wear and tear of cars driving has made “tire divets” all the way down the road. Even bumps and potholes do this, but the tire tracks really yank the car side to side. For example you hit the tracks, pothole, or divet with the right front tire, the whole car would get pulled right and you if there was no shoulder, you have to countersteer to stay straight. One wheel hitting a bump, hole, track, divet should NOT pull the entire car to the side. This is NOT “sport car handling”. This is now GONE!

“FLOATENESS”: GONE! Think “Cadillac Fleetwood”. They tend to float like a boat over bumps, hitting a bump softly, and absorbing it by bouncing up and down for the next ˝ mile like a sin wav. Now that’s an exaggeration for the vette, but it still did it Not anymore. A single wheel hits a bump, then the SINGLE wheel corrects for it. Not the whole CAR!

“STIFFNESS”: That was a concern of mine with coil-overs. I used to race an eclipse that I put coil-overs on and it was almost undriveable on streets because it was so stiff it was like the struts where replaced by 2x4’s. It was great on the track, but not the street. I actually had a friend that kept a bike helmet for riding in the back seat b/c his head would hit the hatchback window on every bump. Well I’m happy to say the LG COIL OVERS do NOT do this. They are stiffer, it wouldn’t have been an improvement if they weren’t, but it’s very streetable, It’s all about a happy median or compromise, and I’m happy to say LG has perfected it.

“WHEEL HOP”: GONE! I’ve heard arguments on whether or not a vette wheel hops. So here is what I mean. On certain roads through 1st and 2nd, especially at higher rpms, when the tires are spinning (happens a lot), the back end would occasionally jump up and down vertically. I call this hop. It wouldn’t do it all the time, so I think it was based on pavement types. It has NOT done it since the LG CO’s were installed, and I actually feel like I hook better now. However it is NOT a drag set up and with 5yr old dry rotted original tires I still spin tires at over 90mph. I think tires will be the next improvement.

Lowered: This can of course suit the individual, but mine is pretty low at 1.5 inches lower. It’s not slammed, but I love how it looks. I talked with LG and said what I wanted, and they nailed it 1st time. I still have a small gap between the front tire and wheel well which I wanted. You’ve definitely got to watch the air dam, and occasionally the exhaust will “brush” something, but I can still do speed bumps. The stiffer suspension helps it not dip at high speeds over bumps to. So 2 thumbs up, I love it, completely driveable!

TRACK BRAKING: Better, but I went cheap on the package and still do not have ALL OF IT. The stoptech package comes with your choice of stock replacement slotted or cross drilled rotors. The slotted, which I want, are backordered so I don’t have them yet. I do have the stainless lines, motul fluid, and hawk hps pads. Definite improvement. I previously mentioned having to leave the track early with the “stock” brakes because of nearly total fade! Not this time. GOOD IMPROVEMENT. Not only did I get the whole hour, with a 20min break, but I did it at much faster speeds. With the improved power and handling I was actually braking at places I didn’t previously need to brake, and braking much harder and faster where I did. Slamming the brakes to the floor at 119mph is just pure punishment….for an hour! Yes they did start to fade, but “start” is the key. At the end I was slowing down early and downshifting to nurse them, but still was hitting 112-114mph on the straight, which was still higher than my previous 108 high, typical 100-103mph on the straight. I will say I want more, but money is an issue. With the stock car I said “brakes don’t make you faster”. Now I can see that they DO! On the track anyways. Better brakes mean longer on the gas, which means faster! Now I have enough power to see that.

STREET BRAKING: The main concern is brake dust and noise. Even stock brakes are good enough I think for the street, but better is always nice. On the stock pads I’d wash the car and felt like when I drove it out of my driveway I was washing off more brake dust. I now make it to the end of my neighborhood at least. Still brake dust is an issue. I’m not convinced it’s any better, but at least it’s not worse. Noise, for the 1st few weeks they would squeal like being in a bird store. I have since found they that although they were bedded, it just wasn’t quit good enough. Because after the track there is NO MORE SQUEAL! Conclusion: the vette likes the track, when the new rotors come in I’ll just have to go back! Overall rating: 1 thumb up, good buy for the money. However, you get what you pay for. You want the best, pay for it. I’m also hoping for an improvement with the new rotors. I’ll try to post another thread whenever I take those to the track. At a minimum the new brakes let me stay on the track the whole time, at faster speeds, with much more punishment, which is a wonderful improvement.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: I love it. It’s my daily driver, at least on clear days, and I have no complaints on the street. This car is an “experience” to drive. You really can “Strap-It-On” and go drive. It was great originally, but now is amazing. A pure thrill behind the wheel. LG has done all the work and I’d like to thank them for their help, advice, and excellent workmanship. The only thing they have not done was the stereo install, and the alignment. I’m sure they would do an amazing job at aligning, but while they are in race season it’s hard to catch them with all the equipment ready to go. I was also in a hurry as always. One employee actually set down with me and explained, while drawing a diagram, how I would want it aligned. He explained the difference with track and street set up. We agreed on somewhere in the middle as I don’t want to run through tires to fast on the street. He explained what each change would do to acceleration, braking, and turning. I then went to a normal alignment shop and had a custom alignment done. THANK YOU LG!

I hope that helps those of you looking for mods. Feel free to PM me or reply here with questions, although I have nothing but good things to say as I am thrilled with the car. Here’s some pics. ENJOY!!

Old 10-22-2007, 02:23 PM
0Z06Joe@AutoBuffs
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Looks on one bad **** looking ride!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:51 PM
CodeName Z06
Instructor

I have the G5X3, LG Pros, and P&P LS6 heads, and the car is at a whole different power level. And the sound at idle is like a race car, with close to stock street manners, so i am loving the car right now.
Have you changed the clutch, because with my setup i am making 450/411 and when doing high rpm shifts the pedal sticks to the floor and at hard launches it smells clutch.
Think i am going to have to change it out soon, hopefully not to soon.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:38 PM
03Z06Pilot
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by CodeName Z06
I have the G5X3, LG Pros, and P&P LS6 heads, and the car is at a whole different power level. And the sound at idle is like a race car, with close to stock street manners, so i am loving the car right now.
Have you changed the clutch, because with my setup i am making 450/411 and when doing high rpm shifts the pedal sticks to the floor and at hard launches it smells clutch.
Think i am going to have to change it out soon, hopefully not to soon.
No clutch yet. You're right at the power level I've been told a factory clutch loses effectiveness. My biggest problem now is traction with really old tires on the car. If I had really sticky tires I might even need the clutch. Unfortunately you'll always find the weak spot, whether tires, clutch, diff output shafts (right then left side), diff itself, etc... Luckily the tires are a fun weak spot However I can't near floor 1st or 2nd gear. They don't just slip and chirp, but sit and smoke. It's a problem I'm willing to put the hard work into solving quickly You're making good power though man!
Old 10-22-2007, 07:05 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Sounds like a whole new BEAST!

Congrats
Old 10-27-2007, 09:07 PM
J Ritt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! Sounds like you're really enjoying the car.

I've been getting the itch to do some more engine and suspension mods lately. I think I'm driving the stock suspension at just about the limit at this point on most tracks. There's always time here and there, but I think I'm just about using the 'whole car' most of the time.

I have the LG Pro Longtubes, and I love the sound of them at full song. Can't wait to hear them with a few more RPM's if I dig into the engine.

As for brakes, your next step would be one of our front BBK's. The four piston would probably be enough. When that time comes, let us know. You won't believe the difference over the minor brake upgrade you've already done.

The brakes didn't squeal after the track day, because you deposited a lot more pad material on the rotor. The pads run on that friction layer, which is quiet. If you keep driving it on the street, that layer will wear off. When it does, the noise will come back. Then you need to do another good bed-in: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...contents.shtml
Old 10-28-2007, 06:34 PM
03Z06Pilot
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by JRitt@StopTech
Congrats! Sounds like you're really enjoying the car.

I've been getting the itch to do some more engine and suspension mods lately. I think I'm driving the stock suspension at just about the limit at this point on most tracks. There's always time here and there, but I think I'm just about using the 'whole car' most of the time.

I have the LG Pro Longtubes, and I love the sound of them at full song. Can't wait to hear them with a few more RPM's if I dig into the engine.

As for brakes, your next step would be one of our front BBK's. The four piston would probably be enough. When that time comes, let us know. You won't believe the difference over the minor brake upgrade you've already done.

The brakes didn't squeal after the track day, because you deposited a lot more pad material on the rotor. The pads run on that friction layer, which is quiet. If you keep driving it on the street, that layer will wear off. When it does, the noise will come back. Then you need to do another good bed-in: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...contents.shtml
Excellent write up and I appreciate the info. I think you are RIGHT ON with the "squeal" description. Just this morning I started to hear a little squeal coming back. It's not at all bad, but it's the first time since track time 3 weeks ago. I guess it's time to either read the website or go to the track again. I'll probably just do both.

If you're happy enough with your speed I'd do suspension, LG Coil-Overs! It worked great for the track, but I gotta say everytime I hop in the car I love the suspension more and more. Obviously I loved it if you read my write up, but it continues to get better and better, even with everyday driving.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:53 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Awesome mods
Old 11-08-2007, 12:14 PM
kwiker
Racer

I just wanted to add that i love the LG Coilovers also. I was a little worried from reading some posts where people were saying that they are harsh and not for street cars....BS. I love the way they feel, i was actually thinking that i might even like them to be a little stiffer, but i'm sure they are fine where they are.

Only problem i had was when i first put them on, i had the back about 3/4 of an inch lower and it had a really bouncy ride. I raised it up and it seemed to fix that. I love them.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:27 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Nice write up!

I'm going to have to put them on my own car and give customers rides in it so they can see just how HUGE of a difference a well designed coil over package can work on the street and the track.

Nice to see the car out on the track being put through its paces. I've got a set of sway bars here, I'll save a set for you when you want them.

LG Motorsports and StopTech, can't go wrong with that combination.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

To the OP (03Z06Pilot);

Nice mods, BUT from the pics it looks like you are running the rear ride-height too low. To get maximum performance out of the suspension (which I assume you are into since you went for coil-overs and you attend track days indicating you are less interested in the "bling" factor of super-low ride heights), you should raise the rear up a bit to re-gain the factory front to rear rake.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 11-10-2007 at 08:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To LG Coil-Overs, LG G5X3 Cam, LG Headers, and more on C5Z....new mods, I LOVE IT!

Quick Reply: LG Coil-Overs, LG G5X3 Cam, LG Headers, and more on C5Z....new mods, I LOVE IT!