C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overide or disconnecting Tire Pressure sensors**HOW do I?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Freddy_97_C5
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overide or disconnecting Tire Pressure sensors**HOW do I?

I always get the annoying check tire pressure sensor reading when I turn on my car, "Check Tire Pressur" "service Tire Monitor sys", "Service vehicle soon" I want to get rid of this feature how can I disable the tire pressure monitoring system on my 97 C5. Can I just pull a fuse or cut a wire!

Please Help
Old 10-25-2007, 06:09 PM
RICorvetteGuy
Instructor

Location: The smallest and most corrupt state in the nation. Rhode Island

No you cant becuase the same receiver that monitors your tire pressures also works your remote key fobs.

You could have the dealer program out the use of the Tire Pressure Monitor system if you so desired.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:13 PM
AlisonC5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be wrong, but I don't think it can be programmed out on 97-98s. I have a 98 without the sensors and I get the message on startup, I hit the reset button and go.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

97-98 HAVE BCMs that do NOT allow TPS de-programming. You CANT disable the system and your FOBs also use the same receiver. Why don't you just have your transmitters replaced or repaired. There are people on the forum who replace the TPS batteries for a decent price OR,,,,you can do it your self.

Its a very useful system. If you have RUNFLATs it could save your life cause you wont know your tire is flat! If you do an evasive maneuver the depressurized runflat could cause you to have an accident.

If you have NON Runflats, they will alert you to slow leaks or very low tire pressures!

BC
Old 10-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Freddy_97_C5
Heel & Toe

My keyfob is not working either so, can I bypass both
Old 10-25-2007, 06:51 PM
RICorvetteGuy
Instructor

Location: The smallest and most corrupt state in the nation. Rhode Island

Opps, I was wrong.....

Bill to the rescue again...

Bill, is it only the 97-98 that can not be programed out ???

I had read somewhere else that the dealer can take that option out with a Tech II.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

There just isn't any way your going to get rid of the message or turn off the system on early C5s other than just clearing it each time you start it, OR properly repairing the problem.

GM opened that option up on 2001 and up cars due to the ZO6 option. The ZO6 does NOT come from the factory with tire pressure sensors. GM programs them out of the ZO6 BCM. Before 2001, there wasn't a need to NOT have the sensors so, there wasn't a option to be able to change it.

I have added the sensors to my ZO6 and now monitor tire pressures just like all other non ZO6s.

I'm not completely sure of the cut of year but, I believe it is 2001.

What is your objection to fixing the TPS and FOBS. You most likely just need to change the batteries in the FOBs and re-program the FOBs .

BC
Old 10-26-2007, 04:45 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Can you swap out the receiver TPS sensors and fobs to the 2001 and later

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
There just isn't any way your going to get rid of the message or turn off the system on early C5s other than just clearing it each time you start it, OR properly repairing the problem.

GM opened that option up on 2001 and up cars due to the ZO6 option. The ZO6 does NOT come from the factory with tire pressure sensors. GM programs them out of the ZO6 BCM. Before 2001, there wasn't a need to NOT have the sensors so, there wasn't a option to be able to change it.

I have added the sensors to my ZO6 and now monitor tire pressures just like all other non ZO6s.

I'm not completely sure of the cut of year but, I believe it is 2001.

What is your objection to fixing the TPS and FOBS. You most likely just need to change the batteries in the FOBs and re-program the FOBs .

BC
Bill,

On another thread someone suggested swapping out the receiver for the TPS and RKE systems and going with the NEWER and much CHEAPER TPMs and FOBS. Supposedly the pionouts are the same.
WILL THIS WORK? Will a 98 BCM recognize the data from the new receiver. Did not get a definate answer here just a SHOULD WORK kinda answer. BIGHANK
Old 10-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Hank

If this was an option, I'm quite sure every 2000 and below C5 would already have one. I believe theres more to it than that. I will look in my 98 service manual and 2002 service manual and see if the Remote Function Actuator are any where near the same.

I'm guessing the serial data is the same but I'm not 100% sure.

I looked at both manuals. Yep,,,the pin outs are the same. For some reason the 97-98-99 manuals contain a lot more detailed info on some circuits. The 98 RFA transmits the Class B serial data signal at a 10400 BAUD rate.

The 2001+ systems says RFA Class 2 serial data.

I'm not sure if the serial data information is compatible with the early BCMs

BC

BC

Get notified of new replies

To Overide or disconnecting Tire Pressure sensors**HOW do I?

Quick Reply: Overide or disconnecting Tire Pressure sensors**HOW do I?