C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reduced Engine Power/P1518/Fuse 17

Old 10-30-2007, 05:24 AM
BigT69
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reduced Engine Power/P1518/Fuse 17

Hi everyone
I would say for about a month I had a code of P1518 Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Serial Data Circuit. So 3 days ago I put in a new sensor and cleared the code. About 4 hours later the code came back on like nothing was even changed? So I looked on the forum and didn't really see much. So a couple of mornings ago I woke up and went to go start the car. It started up but like it was running on 4 cylinders or it need some gas, I pressed the gas pedal and nothing happened at all. The car started to run rougher and the screen read "Reduced Engine Power" then " Service Traction System" then "Service Active Handling" and back around to the Reduced Engine Power? What is also happening is fuse 17 Throtcont 15amp keeps blowing at every start? I jumped on the forum to do some research and it talked about the TAC module and some other stuff I can't recall. But I did do some stuff that the forum told me to try:

1. Took battery out and got it tested which was still strong
2. Cleaned the terminals
3. Checked underneath tray to see if the acid had done any damage from the battery blowing up but it was all good still (cleaned it up with the baking soda like Bill Curlee told me before a while ago)
4. Cleaned the G101 and G102, now the ground by the reservoir was a little dirty but not bad and the other one was ok but still cleaned both of them anyways

This is what happens after I did that stuff above
1. Still runs rough and get all the readings plus during one of the starts it told me to "Pull key and wait 10sec"
2. I CAN NOT clear this code at all PCM P1518 H C
3. These are the other codes that came up as well
TCS - C1278 H
BCM - B2587 H
BCM - B2592 H
LDCM - B2284 H
RDCM - B2285 H
4. Gas pedal does nothing still
5. Fuse 17 still blows

Oh, I couldn't get to any other grounds because the car can't move to go on my lift, car is lowered 3"

Anyone with some ideals I would really appreciate it, thanks for your time, Anthony
Old 11-21-2007, 10:31 AM
96-speed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates on this, Anthony?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:40 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

Let me know if you still have a problem. I'm in Hoffman Estates. I have manuals and all the gear to troubleshoot if you want help.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If your blowing the fuse,,,chances are you have a short circuit. There are well documented issues with the engine upper wiring harness chaffing cause this issue.

Carefully examine the wiring harness that runs down the drivers side of the engine. Its the harness for the MAF, Throttle Position sensor, IAT, Fuel injectors, etc..... Look at it closely near the back of the engine where it makes a turn around one of the black metal brackets at the rear of the intake manifold. Chances are that it is worn through and may be causing the issue. You will either find that it is touching the bracket or it has AMPLE clearance.
You will most likely have to disconnect it from everything that it connects to on top of the engine and remove some of the harness wrap to do a proper inspection if you find any damage at all to the wires.

Please take a look at it and report back what you find. The repair is usually pretty simple if it is chaffed.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Reduced Engine Power/P1518/Fuse 17

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reduced Engine Power/P1518/Fuse 17