C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did I do to my motor? :(

Old 11-01-2007, 07:22 PM
VetterGetIt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Joe, never boosted my vette, but when I had my VR4, sometimes the y-pipe would blow off under hard boost, making a loud POP and then the car would die. check all the airway connections and make sure you haven't blown off a clamp or something like that.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:52 PM
chriswtx
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VetterGetIt
Hey Joe, never boosted my vette, but when I had my VR4, sometimes the y-pipe would blow off under hard boost, making a loud POP and then the car would die. check all the airway connections and make sure you haven't blown off a clamp or something like that.

Even if the hose came loose, it should start and run with it loose...Got to be something else...Even a cracked intake should at least attempt to turn over and fire...
Old 11-01-2007, 07:59 PM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like its the timing chain. We popped off the oil cap and I think you can see a rocker and a spring and there is no movement when the motor is cranked. Also my dad (old school mechanic LOL) says the backfire which is coming through the manifold is a result of timing, or lack thereof.

Suprised there are no other codes popping up. And I haven't ruled out the manifold, have a bud coming tomorrow to help me pull it.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

At WGI my timing chain blew. All I heard was pop and then there was nothing. I tried to start the car a few times with no luck but it seemed like it wanted to start except for the occasional backfire. Only code I got was cam sensor out of position. There was no other obvious damage like oil leaking.

sucks big time. I had a 402 already built knowing my racing engine would eventually die. I thought it would be a rod or something else but chit happens (and i had a double roller).

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 11-02-2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:04 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Joe, That sucks big time, and I would put this over in FI section lots of wrenchers there, like I know Chris is one of those
Old 11-02-2007, 08:02 AM
mojo1
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Sorry to hear Joe, good luck on the fix ....
Old 11-02-2007, 03:37 PM
waupachino
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

That sucks, but it was my first guess. A lot of times a catastrophic mechanical failure will not set a code because there are not sensors tied to the part that failed. For example, Timing Chain, Rod, Crankshaft, Block cracking, Etc... Good luck with the repairs and hopefully it didn't wipe out all the valves and scar the Piston tops.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:41 PM
JR_VETTE
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Mid-TN Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by vetterlatethannever
Looks like its the timing chain. We popped off the oil cap and I think you can see a rocker and a spring and there is no movement when the motor is cranked. Also my dad (old school mechanic LOL) says the backfire which is coming through the manifold is a result of timing, or lack thereof.

Suprised there are no other codes popping up. And I haven't ruled out the manifold, have a bud coming tomorrow to help me pull it.
Why don't you just pop a plug out, and check the compression. That will rule out just about everything 'mechanical'. Pulling the engine at this point is a little pre-mature in my opinion.

As Bill Curlee stated, start with the basics...Spark, fuel and compression. All of these can be easily accomplished with minimal tools and time.

At least that's my thoughts.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:59 PM
fsuforever
Drifting

Old 11-02-2007, 07:30 PM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Originally Posted by JR_VETTE
As Bill Curlee stated, start with the basics...Spark, fuel and compression. All of these can be easily accomplished with minimal tools and time.

At least that's my thoughts.
We have spark and fuel (at least in the rail), still need to check compression, the T/B is working as well. Dang I was ready to take her out this weekend too

Last edited by vetterlatethannever; 11-02-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by waupachino
That sucks, but it was my first guess. A lot of times a catastrophic mechanical failure will not set a code because there are not sensors tied to the part that failed. For example, Timing Chain, Rod, Crankshaft, Block cracking, Etc... Good luck with the repairs and hopefully it didn't wipe out all the valves and scar the Piston tops.
Well if indeed it is a broken timing chain, that is a pretty poor excuse for a diagnostic system. You can turn the crank over several times, the PCM never sees a signal from the cam sensor but never sets a code!!! You learn something new every day. Time for me to pull out the manual and do my homework.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:46 PM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

That has me confused as well. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:08 PM
AMRAAM
Melting Slicks

i haven't been on much lately and just saw this thread. Sorry to hear this, Hope i don't run into the same issues when I finally get mine on. I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if the problem has been found. Any chance a part of the intake piping blew off? My turbo 3000gt used to do that frequently when the boost was turned up. The piping was fine for stock pressure, but when turned up a bit, It would blow the y pipe off the throttle body.

Good luck, doesn't sound too serious.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:05 PM
AMRAAM
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VetterGetIt
oops, guess I was a bit late.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:39 PM
PFMC3
Instructor

If timing chain broke the noise would be like a bunch of bolts floating around in the motor because valves would be hitting pistons.
Been the done that
Old 11-03-2007, 12:33 AM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Originally Posted by AMRAAM
oops, guess I was a bit late.
No prob man, any and all advice (even repeat ) is still appreciated How long before yours goes on?
Old 11-03-2007, 12:45 AM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Originally Posted by ArKay99
Lost timing chain, kissed a few pistons with the valves too... I hope not... Best of luck.
Thanks

Any chance of not having other damage (pistons, valves) with a small cam and stock (unmilled, maybe more clearance) heads? Or should I expect the worst? Already planning for it.........

Get notified of new replies

To What did I do to my motor? :(

Old 11-03-2007, 07:54 AM
PFMC3
Instructor

Originally Posted by vetterlatethannever
Thanks

Any chance of not having other damage (pistons, valves) with a small cam and stock (unmilled, maybe more clearance) heads? Or should I expect the worst? Already planning for it.........
I'm honestly still in my original theory.
I Do no think it popped the chain. Easy way to find out pull a valve cover turn the motor over. I think you are going to find something a little less severe.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:20 AM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

I'm gonna pick up some tools later this morning and check under the valve covers just to be 100% sure. And boy I hope you are right.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:14 AM
stormrider
Melting Slicks

Man, I don't have the words to express how bad I feel for you. I hope you find the problem quickly and and fix is easy and cheap. Hang in there, I went through my own phantom problems last Fall; I know how frustrating it is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did I do to my motor? :(