C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you be interested in this new lighting safety product for your C5's LED Third Brake Light?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 02:37 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06
Default Would you be interested in this new lighting safety product for your C5's LED Third Brake Light?

Dear Corvette Forum Members,

Before we started carrying this product designed for the C5, we wanted to know how many of you would actually want it.

It is a little safety feature designed to prevent your C5 from being rear ended by tailgating motorists that don't pay attention while driving behind you potentially causing you bodily injury as well as destroying your rear delicate plastic bumper. You got to watch out for the ones on their cell phones too!!!

It is an ADJUSTABLE small PLUG IN flasher type module that plugs in behind your C5's rear LED third brake light. It takes 5-15 minutes to install and may save your C5 from being heavily damaged in a rear end collision. This is a plug and play unit containing genuine Packard Plugs. It can be removed as easily it is installed in case you sell your C5/Z06. This way you can always install it on the your next C5/Z06.

This is what it does once you plug it in:

Everytime you apply your brakes, the LED third brake light flashes 5-26 times (whatever you set it to flash as it is fully adjustable). The LED third brake light flashes ONLY. Your other taillights remain on while the LED third brake light flashes when you apply the brakes. You can adjust it to flash slow or fast and you can adjust it to flash a minimum or 5 times or a maximum of 26 times. It has two control panels on the unit itself so when you are installing it, you can test it out to your personal flash preference.

This flasher keeps motorists behind your vehicle paying more attention to the rear end of your car and causes them to keep a safer distance, therefore preventing you and your C5 from being injured in a rear end collision.

Since our C5/Z06s stop much faster than most of the vehicles on the road, I am constantly worried about a big truck, SUV or RV plowing into the back of my car. This would give me the added peace of mind while driving.

Since a lot of us drive in stop and go city type driving, the LED third brake light will flash a lot since we are always on our brakes. The LED third brake light is also very bright and flashes faster than our conventional taillights. This will definitely grab the attention of whoever is behind you.

This adjustable flasher type plug in module is cheap insurance for your C5 as well. It will retail for around: $49.95-$69.95.

Please take the poll and give us your feedback by posting on this thread.

If there are any questions that I can answer, just ask!!!

Thank you very much!

Shawn

[Modified by L.A.P.D., 2:19 PM 12/13/2001]
Old 11-21-2001, 02:46 PM
OliverM5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Would you be interested LED Third Brake Light? (L.A.P.D.)

To be honest bro, I think about ghetto-mobiles when flashing lights on cars are mentioned.......like the ones that have flashing lic-plate frames, etc. I think it would bring down the class of the car.
Old 11-21-2001, 02:46 PM
B. Stewart
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Would you be interested in this new lighting

I like the idea. Is it legal in all 50 states? :confused:
Old 11-21-2001, 02:53 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

Default Re: Would you be interested LED Third Brake Light? (OliverM5)

OliverM5,

I know what you are talking about, but this is not going to be the same as "ghetto-mobiles." The only thing that will flash will be the LED third brake light. It won't flash more than 20 times every time you apply the brakes. This is if you adjust it to flash 20 times every time you apply the brakes. You can control the unit to flash 3-20 times everytime you step on the brakes. On the C5, it will look very cool!!! I guess you have to see it on a C5 first and then you will appreciate what it is really designed to do, KEEP PEOPLE OFF YOUR C5's butt!!!! This is a must for me as I don't want anyone taillgating me as people do everyday.

B.Stewart,

As of right now, it is legal to use in all 50 states. There is no U.S. DOT law that states that you can't have a controlled flashing LED third brake light.

Thanks!

Shawn

[Modified by L.A.P.D., 2:42 PM 11/21/2001]
Old 11-21-2001, 03:33 PM
Nommo 53
Cruising

Default new lighting safety product for your C5's LED Third Brake Light? (L.A.P.D.)

I was behind a new Tahoe that apparently had this device installed last weekend. It definitely got your attention and held it with the blinking sequence. This was true even traveling from one stop light to the next. Cheap insurance, big benefit. I would definitely be interested. :yesnod:
Old 11-21-2001, 03:42 PM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: new lighting safety product for your C5's LED Third Brake Light? (Nommo 53)

I would be interested! Will it work on my Bronco and other car with installation just as easy?

[Modified by wallstAL, 11:46 AM 11/21/2001]
Old 11-21-2001, 03:51 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

Default Re: new lighting safety product for your C5's LED Third Brake Light? (wallstAL)

wallstAL,

I will have to check to see if it will work on all vehicles or just the C5. I believe that it will only work on vehicles with the LED third brake light.

I will check and let you know.

Thanks!

Shawn
Old 11-21-2001, 04:05 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 869 Likes on 434 Posts

Default Re: new lighting safety product for your C5's LED Third Brake Light? (L.A.P.D.)

Shawn...

What if you're stopped at a light, and it flashes 8 times. Will it repeat the sequence, or stay soild after the pre set # of flashes?

Ellis
Old 11-21-2001, 04:24 PM
willi
Pro

Default Re: Would you be interested in this new lighting safety product for your C5's LED Third Brake Light?

Yep, I was behind a car with something like that in stop and go traffic. It was so annoying, I almost rear-ended the car just to shut it off....
Old 11-21-2001, 04:26 PM
Am I Badd
Racer

Default Re: Third light Safety product(L.A.P.D.)

I have a system like this on one of my other cars. The only thing is most people think I have a short or bad light . But it seems to get their attention. And as for Ghetto,( Never new why some people use that term) Ford has this on at least one of their vehicles.
Old 11-21-2001, 04:50 PM
2thDr
Drifting

Default hmm

It is a little safety feature designed to prevent your C5 from being rear ended by tailgating motorists that don't pay attention while driving behind you potentially causing you bodily injury as well as destroying your rear delicate fiberglass bumper.
[Modified by L.A.P.D., 10:39 AM 11/21/2001]
The rear of the C5 is not fiberglass. It is flexible.
Old 11-21-2001, 04:57 PM
Joel Fromkin
Pro

Default Re: Third Brake Light? (L.A.P.D.)

I would expect to see this on a riceburner(or a school bus). Never on my C5! :U :U :seeya

[Modified by Joel Fromkin, 2:58 PM 11/21/2001]
Old 11-21-2001, 05:10 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

Default Re: new lighting safety product for your C5's LED Third Brake Light? (wallstAL)

wallstAL,

I just checked on the module and it will only work on vehicles that are equipped with LED third brake lights.

Indypace78,

The module will flash the number of times you set it at and then it will go solid providing you don't take your foot off the brake pedal. It will repeat the sequence everytime you apply the brakes.

willi,

It may be annoying to you, but you will never see it since you will be driving the car. You want to grab the attention of the person behind you that is on the cell phone.

Am I Badd,

It is going to be a great feature that grabs attention and prevents collisions.

2thDr,

Sorry about that. My mistake. A rear end collision will still tear the rear end of the C5 apart, especially if an SUV plows into it.

Joel Fromkin,

I have never seen a ricer with this feature. It isn't a "ghetto" or "ricer" feature because I have never seen this on any of those type of cars. "Ghetto cars" don't even have LED third brake lights and "ricers" have about 3-4 rows of brake lights on their cars.

Shawn
Old 11-21-2001, 05:13 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Re new lighting safety product for your C5's LED Third Brake Light? (L.A.P.D.)

I have one on my Miata (America's second sports car) and I really like it! Put me on the interested list, or just send it out. Great gizmo that does catch attention. Thanks :smash:
Old 11-21-2001, 05:16 PM
Stu in CA
Pro

Default Re: Would you be interested

This light was recently discussed by the "Click and Clack" syndicated auto newspaper column guys, Maglioso brothers or something like that. Anyway, they reported that the system has not been proven to be effective in the tests that have been performed to date. They said that the tests showed that one is not able to process the changing rate information fast enough in the split second when one decides one needs to brake harder, so the DOT has not been interested in making it mandatory. I think you could search their website, car.com or similar.

[Modified by Stu in CA, 1:19 PM 11/21/2001]
Old 11-21-2001, 06:14 PM
Reeves
Pro

Default Re: Would you be interested (Stu in CA)

I have seen these on the road and they definitely grab your attention, you know that the car in front of you is braking and not just a car with bright tail lights. I'm definitely interested (I've actually been looking for this type of unit).

Oliver: These defintely don't look tacky. Since it uses your existing light it doesn't look like a cheap add-on and since it doesn't stay flashing (imagine: blink blink solid) it doesn't look corny.

[Modified by Reeves, 2:16 PM 11/21/2001]
Old 11-21-2001, 06:44 PM
XTrooper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Would you be interested LED Third Brake Light? (OliverM5)

To be honest bro, I think about ghetto-mobiles when flashing lights on cars are mentioned........
Are you sure those aren't muzzle flashes you're thinking of? :D

It sounds like a pretty good idea to me and the variable settings option is a nice feature.

Get notified of new replies

To Would you be interested in this new lighting safety product for your C5's LED Third Brake Light?

Old 11-21-2001, 06:47 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

Default Re: Would you be interested (Reeves)

Guys,

I have updated my first thread as I have received additional info on how these flashers work.

They flash a minimum of 3 times and a maximum of 20 times depending on how you set it on your C5. You can control the number of times it flashes as well as how fast you want it to flash. This makes the unit even more unique.

Since we will be carrying the plug and play type unit made specifically for the C5, we will start carrying them in 2-3 weeks. The manufacturer has to have time to make them for the C5.

They will retail anywhere from: $49.95-$69.95

We will keep everyone updated on this new product.

Until then, please take the poll and give us some feedback.

Thank you!

Shawn
Old 11-21-2001, 06:49 PM
Skeeter1
Drifting

Default Re: Would you be interested

My deterrant to tailgaters works well...the gas pedal :D
Old 11-21-2001, 07:05 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

Default Re: Would you be interested (Skeeter1)

Skeeter1,

I try that too when I can. When you are in bumper to bumper traffic or if there is a car in front of you and on the side of you, you have no choice but to adjust to traffic and/or road conditions. When you have to slow down, this flasher is a great thing to have to grab attention.

Shawn

Quick Reply: Would you be interested in this new lighting safety product for your C5's LED Third Brake Light?