C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mildew odor in defroster

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:37 PM
wreakhavoc
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Mildew odor in defroster

There is a heavy mildew smell when I switch on the defroster. No wet carpet anywhere, just happens when the defroster is turned on.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:12 PM
jgump
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 12-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

It happens because there is condensation build up from the coils when the AC is used. If it is not allowed to dry (running outside vent fan only) before the car is shut off, it can mildew in there. I had it too. Short term fix is start the car. Turn on the fan on high and select the outside as the intake source. Take a can of Lysol (your choice) and give a few shots into the intake screen (in between the windshield wipers). That will get rid of the current smell. Long term fix is try to remember to run the fan only a short while ater you run the AC before you shut off the car.

HTH.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:12 PM
wreakhavoc
Racer

Originally Posted by jgump
???
Old 12-02-2007, 10:19 PM
wreakhavoc
Racer

Originally Posted by Bluefire
It happens because there is condensation build up from the coils when the AC is used. If it is not allowed to dry (running outside vent fan only) before the car is shut off, it can mildew in there. I had it too. Short term fix is start the car. Turn on the fan on high and select the outside as the intake source. Take a can of Lysol (your choice) and give a few shots into the intake screen (in between the windshield wipers). That will get rid of the current smell. Long term fix is try to remember to run the fan only a short while ater you run the AC before you shut off the car.

HTH.
Thanks, I'll try that. I'm pretty sure it's happening only on defrost though, not AC.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by wreakhavoc
Thanks, I'll try that. I'm pretty sure it's happening only on defrost though, not AC.
You'll smell it when the fan is on in defrost mode. When you turn on the AC it will smell at first and then clear up while it is being used again.

Get notified of new replies

To Mildew odor in defroster

Quick Reply: Mildew odor in defroster