Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Karl Chevrolet

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2007, 07:01 PM   #1
Hunnicuttz
CF Senior Member
 
Hunnicuttz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2006
Location: Fort Walton Beach Florida
Default Windshield Wipers won't go all the way down

On my brothers 1999 model the wipers work just fine, but when you turn them off they dont go all the way down to the resting position. What could be wrong here? Does he need new motors?
Hunnicuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
ICUALL
CF Senior Member
 
ICUALL's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2002
Location: Corpus Christi Tx.
Default ???????

How far down do they go ? When mine had this problem I pulled the covers and removed the 2 nuts, lifted the arms and reseated in the full down position and retightened. Problem solved.....
__________________
Michael D. Hunt
ICUALL
Corpus Christi,Tx. 78414
2000 Midnight Navy Blue Coupe & 1971 Classic White Coupe
hunt5252@att.net



NCM Lifetime Member #920
ICUALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #3
Hunnicuttz
CF Senior Member
 
Hunnicuttz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2006
Location: Fort Walton Beach Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUALL View Post
How far down do they go ? When mine had this problem I pulled the covers and removed the 2 nuts, lifted the arms and reseated in the full down position and retightened. Problem solved.....
When you first turn on the wipers, the position they move up to before they start to wipe, that is the position they are staying in when you turn them off.
Hunnicuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
ICUALL
CF Senior Member
 
ICUALL's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2002
Location: Corpus Christi Tx.
Default Before you do anything else

I'd try repositioning the arms in the full down position before I went further. Sometimes the Nuts will loosen and the wiper blade moves causing it to stop as you describe. It is a simple procedure to do and might save you $$$$$.
ICUALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
Hunnicuttz
CF Senior Member
 
Hunnicuttz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2006
Location: Fort Walton Beach Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUALL View Post
I'd try repositioning the arms in the full down position before I went further. Sometimes the Nuts will loosen and the wiper blade moves causing it to stop as you describe. It is a simple procedure to do and might save you $$$$$.

Ok great, I we will try that tonight!
Hunnicuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:09 PM   #6
Bob CTS
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11
 
Bob CTS's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Location: Lenoir City TN
Default

Mine would not return to the home postion for some reason, but after disconnecting the battery everything returned to normal.
Bob CTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:41 PM   #7
Hunnicuttz
CF Senior Member
 
Hunnicuttz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2006
Location: Fort Walton Beach Florida
Default

Ok i have tried to loosen the bolts and then moving them down, that didn't work. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for a little while, and that didn't work.
Hunnicuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:17 AM   #8
rustyguns
CF Senior Member
 
rustyguns's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyguns
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunnicuttz View Post
Ok i have tried to loosen the bolts and then moving them down, that didn't work. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for a little while, and that didn't work.
i just replaced my wiper motor because they wouldn't turn off

i used a used motor and i notice a hesitation when i turn them off at the top of the stroke.

i think it is the positioning cam sensor tabs are messed up a little. i pulled my old motor controller off and the grease was so thick it built up on the electronics board something awful! guesing its nonconductive but who knows.

if you want you can pull your motor its pretty easy. pop off the controller box on the bottoms and clean up the cam positioning tabs

just an educational guess no guarantee G/L
rustyguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:34 AM   #9
Hunnicuttz
CF Senior Member
 
Hunnicuttz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2006
Location: Fort Walton Beach Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyguns View Post
i just replaced my wiper motor because they wouldn't turn off

i used a used motor and i notice a hesitation when i turn them off at the top of the stroke.

i think it is the positioning cam sensor tabs are messed up a little. i pulled my old motor controller off and the grease was so thick it built up on the electronics board something awful! guesing its nonconductive but who knows.

if you want you can pull your motor its pretty easy. pop off the controller box on the bottoms and clean up the cam positioning tabs

just an educational guess no guarantee G/L

Does anyone have a how to on pulling the motors?
Hunnicuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:45 AM   #10
rustyguns
CF Senior Member
 
rustyguns's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyguns
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunnicuttz View Post
Does anyone have a how to on pulling the motors?
amazing what you can find here using the search option

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ht=wiper+motor

your welcome
rustyguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #11
Hunnicuttz
CF Senior Member
 
Hunnicuttz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2006
Location: Fort Walton Beach Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyguns View Post
amazing what you can find here using the search option

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ht=wiper+motor

your welcome
yeah I did do a search but couldn't find anything. and that link you just sent me doesn't have a how to in it. It is a guy asking for help and no one answered him.
Hunnicuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #12
sneakelman
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: hagerstown md
Send a message via AIM to sneakelman
Default

Remove the black cowel cover, 5 pins to pull then lift off
Unbolt the wiper cam, you'll see a white hard rubber piece in the cam that sits atop the motor. It is seated on a knuckle, so you will have to pry pretty hard to get it off. If I remember right, the battery terminal puller you use to pull the wipers off is what I used.
Now you simply unbolt the rest of the remaining bolts and lift the wiper motor out.
Now, take a pic of the orientation of the cam/gear as it sets on the motor. If you replace the motor, you have to remove this piece and put on your new motor. You'll need th pic to make sure you orient it correctly.
Once you get the cowel off, and the wiper cam out of the way, you can see everything. Nothing complicated under there, so no surprises to deal with.
HTH.
Need anymore help, PM me.

Last edited by sneakelman; 12-08-2007 at 11:50 AM.
sneakelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:13 PM   #13
Hunnicuttz
CF Senior Member
 
Hunnicuttz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2006
Location: Fort Walton Beach Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakelman View Post
Remove the black cowel cover, 5 pins to pull then lift off
Unbolt the wiper cam, you'll see a white hard rubber piece in the cam that sits atop the motor. It is seated on a knuckle, so you will have to pry pretty hard to get it off. If I remember right, the battery terminal puller you use to pull the wipers off is what I used.
Now you simply unbolt the rest of the remaining bolts and lift the wiper motor out.
Now, take a pic of the orientation of the cam/gear as it sets on the motor. If you replace the motor, you have to remove this piece and put on your new motor. You'll need th pic to make sure you orient it correctly.
Once you get the cowel off, and the wiper cam out of the way, you can see everything. Nothing complicated under there, so no surprises to deal with.
HTH.
Need anymore help, PM me.
There we go! thats what i needed
I am at work right now but I will try that when i get home. Thank you!!!
Hunnicuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:13 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page Windshield Wipers won't go all the way down
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
68 Wiper door won't go down tomdoc C3 General 2 10-18-2014 05:44 PM
Windshielp wipers stuck COMMANDER2OOO C6 Tech/Performance 1 02-15-2014 09:14 PM
Wiper Problem mvettewhite C4 Tech/Performance 6 10-30-2012 04:38 PM
1975 Windshield Wiper Problems Classic78 C3 General 3 09-23-2011 01:29 AM
1969 Wiper Problems r&rdesign C3 Tech/Performance 4 10-16-2010 06:55 PM


Tags
1998, c5, corvett, corvette, dont, home, return, stop, turn, turned, vette, windsheild, windshield, wipers, wont


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:51 PM.


Emails & Password Backup