C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a cam this week.... which one makes the most power? I want 400 whp!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 11:07 PM
ZEX-Z
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Installing a cam this week.... which one makes the most power? I want 400 whp!

Hey guys.. i am getting a cam installed this week. I have the TSP long tube headers along with the off road X-pipe and a Tune will be included. i want to break the 400 whp mark. Can this be done? I want 400whp with a tune,long tubes, my cold air and rear B&B cat back along with a cam. If this doesnt do it. What will....?
Old 12-25-2007, 12:26 AM
ArKay99
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Need more info on your current setup. A4, MN6? gears?
What are your goals?
Old 12-25-2007, 12:34 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I see you have a 1998. 400 RWHP is relatively easy to achieve with headers, cam, CAI and a tune. The membership will provide you many cam options (also recommend looking at LS1tech.com). The most restrictive items on your car are the LS1 heads and intake manifold (your stock MAF is fine). The G5X3 is a popular choice. I run Futral Motorsport cams - recommending looking at the F14 232"/234" .598"/.598" 112 LSA. Remember, some driveability may be sacrificed some to obtain your goal.

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 12-25-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:14 AM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Go with whatever your tuner/installer suggests.

Honestly, the statement "I'm getting a cam installed this week, which one should I get?" doesn't suggest there's any serious thought or planning involved for an eventual goal of a matched, well rounded package. Just stick whatever in there that makes a lot of power right...

Of course not everyone wants to fuss about the details nor take the time to learn how and why a cam works and what the specs mean, but hopefully the tuner you are trusting and paying will ask you lots of questions pertaining the car's usage, your tolerance for drivability issues, rpm range desired, any possible future engine mods, etc so that a reasonable recommendation could be made.

A cam has such a profound effect on how the car will act and perform, and the decision of what to install should not be taken lightly. It's not quite as simple as "the best"....There is no "best cam" out there...but there probably is a "best cam for you", and only a long discussion with your tuner could determine that.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:45 AM
ZEX-Z
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Well i do have the cash and geting ahold of any cam out there will not be that hard. other than stated... my car is bone stock. gears? I have no idea. It is an M6 though. Whats made the best power? I want 400whp+ for now all motor.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:40 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ZEX-Z
Well i do have the cash and geting ahold of any cam out there will not be that hard. other than stated... my car is bone stock. gears? I have no idea. It is an M6 though. Whats made the best power? I want 400whp+ for now all motor.
M6 comes with a 3.42 rear end.

What year ?

you have a coupe so those are 241 heads, is doable but it is a stretch with 241 heads.

and this is very important to understand:
Originally Posted by Y2Kvert$me
A cam has such a profound effect on how the car will act and perform, and the decision of what to install should not be taken lightly. It's not quite as simple as "the best"....There is no "best cam" out there...but there probably is a "best cam for you", and only a long discussion with your tuner could determine that.
The big question one needs to ask is, "What do I want my car to do?"

This is where that Long discussion with you tuner will determine what cam and other components work to fit your needs.

Good Luck
Old 12-25-2007, 08:17 AM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Do your wallet a favor. STOP !

Go to LS1TECH.COM, and search cams. There are a zillion threads on cams for guys that want 400 RWHP on stock heads. A couple months after the cam, you'll want heads, and then you'll need a new clutch, and while your doing the clutch, you might as well change your gears because your going to complain you lost to much bottom end from the cam and heads.

We dont want you to make the same mistake as half of us did, Or you be on your 3rd cam like the other half
Old 12-25-2007, 08:27 AM
ArKay99
Safety Car

Tom, he has a 98 which should be the 806 perimiter bolt casting. One more thing to keep track of.
---
ZEX, you can get a cam that will make great power, but you will need a lot of supporting components to go with it.
I am assuming you are saying that you can afford to have a big cam installed now and later on when you decide to get heads or whatever else you can have that replaced also?
---
Here is the bottom line on what you are faced with, going for +400rwhp cam only in a 98 MN6 coupe.
Utilizing your headers, CAI, and B&B's.
You will need to put an LS6 manifold on to get a cam to breathe.
You will need new valve springs, retainers, and locks.
You will need to put in at least a Stage 2 type of clutch because the first time you punch it you will burn your clutch out. The stock clutch is barely capable at 345fwhp. Ask me how I know.
The 806 heads you have on now although a good head for it's time doesn't flow well enough that you will get any kind of good torque down low with a cam that will give you +400rwhp. What that means is your car will run like a Civic below 3500rpm's and have +400rwhp only between 6000 and 6500 rpm's.
---
A G5X3 on a 114 will get you to about 380-390 rwhp if you put an LS6 intake on with the exhaust you are now running.
You may get there with a T-Rex.
---
As stated above, those guys know what they're talking about, you really should have a talk with your tuner and discuss where you want to end up with when you are finished with your mods. Otherwise you will be spending money twice for the same parts. The key is to shoot for a well balanced setup, one that drives well, i.e. has good street manners, will stay reliable, i.e. won't blow up, and will leave room for future added power is as you've been advised. On the other hand if you just want +400rwhp and you're taking your car to the local mechanic, slap a T-Rex in, and live with the consequences.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:41 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Once you start to add all this up, a Create LS2 looks less expensive . . .

There are real bargains on LS6 create motors too.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 12-25-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:08 PM
TLewis4095
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
Go with whatever your tuner/installer suggests.

Honestly, the statement "I'm getting a cam installed this week, which one should I get?" doesn't suggest there's any serious thought or planning involved for an eventual goal of a matched, well rounded package. Just stick whatever in there that makes a lot of power right...

Of course not everyone wants to fuss about the details nor take the time to learn how and why a cam works and what the specs mean, but hopefully the tuner you are trusting and paying will ask you lots of questions pertaining the car's usage, your tolerance for drivability issues, rpm range desired, any possible future engine mods, etc so that a reasonable recommendation could be made.

Very good advice!
Old 12-25-2007, 01:37 PM
NightmareZ06
Racer

TSP MS4 cam and LTs = 420RWHP 380RWTQ on a rich ( 11.5A/F) tune
Old 12-25-2007, 02:31 PM
ArKay99
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NightmareZ06
TSP MS4 cam and LTs = 420RWHP 380RWTQ on a rich ( 11.5A/F) tune
Yes, on a 2002 Z06, not on a bone stock 98 coupe.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:44 PM
JagTech
Instructor

Originally Posted by ArKay99
You will need to put in at least a Stage 2 type of clutch because the first time you punch it you will burn your clutch out. The stock clutch is barely capable at 345fwhp. Ask me how I know.
I have 410 rwhp, I put on 8,000 miles last summer with a stock clutch and have had no problems whatsoever(and I am not easy or gentle with it). Now thats probably pushing the limit a little but I don't think you need to be worried about your clutch right away.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

My G5X3 114 cam got me 402 RWHP and since I have cats and run nitrous those numbers could have been higher. My 02 does have the LS6 intake though and that will hold some of your power back.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:16 PM
NightmareZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by ArKay99
Yes, on a 2002 Z06, not on a bone stock 98 coupe.
My bad, I didnt read far enough into the earlier posts. I saw Zex Z and thought that meant he had a Z.Whoops!!! I think it should still make around 400WRHP though. Tuned pretty decent, Yea i think he will stil definately hit that mark!!! JMO good luck with whatever road you choose.!!!
Old 12-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Well i do have the cash and geting ahold of any cam out there will not be that hard.
You aren't understanding. "Having cash" does not equal a properly chosen cam. A cam is a relatively inexpensive purchase by itself and "having cash" wont get you the proper cam for your current or future needs. Do yourself a favor, do some research or let your "cash" do the talking for you and pay a reputable tuner to make the choice for you.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
You aren't understanding. "Having cash" does not equal a properly chosen cam. A cam is a relatively inexpensive purchase by itself and "having cash" wont get you the proper cam for your current or future needs. Do yourself a favor, do some research or let your "cash" do the talking for you and pay a reputable tuner to make the choice for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing a cam this week.... which one makes the most power? I want 400 whp!

Old 12-25-2007, 11:43 PM
_Will_
Team Owner

Location: Somewhere between mild insanity and complete psychosis
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I would not recommend doing any significant mod until you have done your homework over the course of a few months at least as well as self education on these cars, which is now possible through the internet.

It is obvious from your posts how green you are. Been there, blown a lot of needless $$$. Learn from my mistakes, build your knowledge first so you are not at the mercy of others' opinions.

There is a lot of good information on how cams behave and the effect of different parts of a grind over on ls1tech.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:10 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Cam education Go here --> http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327734
Old 12-26-2007, 08:34 AM
AJay
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

400 RWHP is just bragging rights. It is much more important to follow the advice given on this thread and spec your cam for the way you drive your car. I have all the goodies on my engine including AFR heads and only pull 411 RWHP. I could probably up that number by 30 - 40 HP but I would sacrifice the smooth driveability that I refused to give up when I started my project. Best to decide how you want to use the car and consider who else might be driving it (wife / girtlfriend) and spec your cam accordingly.

Quick Reply: Installing a cam this week.... which one makes the most power? I want 400 whp!