C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z 06 New tire sensors,programed comp.Willnot read

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 07:01 PM
jjvet
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z 06 New tire sensors,programed comp.Willnot read

Who has either had a prob. or no prob.when after installing sensors and prog.DIC getting a reading. Today alone I spent over 4 hours at my Chey dealer while they tried without success to get the darn things to transmit.If the sensors are in your hand or close to module I can,t remember either left or right wheel it will work.Otherwise forget it.I have busted my a$$ for 6 weeks trying to get closure with this prob.All replies are welcome but what I really would like to know is the success rate on a 04Z06 and how many times anyone has had trouble with module the one is also supposed to work door locks .They work.Thanks Jerome

Last edited by LV Vette; 01-24-2008 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Inappropriate language
Old 01-24-2008, 01:27 AM
NeoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Z06's never came with tire pressure sensors...

Maybe you need a module or something from a C5 coupe or convertible to make them work other than the sensors themselves...?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:41 AM
C5B
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the receiver isn't there. On my 2003, it is behind the driver, near the b-pillar.

- Colby
Old 01-24-2008, 01:47 AM
jjvet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C5B
Could be the receiver isn't there. On my 2003, it is behind the driver, near the b-pillar.

- Colby
Something has to be there to work at all
Old 01-24-2008, 01:49 AM
jjvet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NeoZ06
Z06's never came with tire pressure sensors...

Maybe you need a module or something from a C5 coupe or convertible to make them work other than the sensors themselves...?
something has to be there to work at all
Old 01-24-2008, 02:02 AM
C5B
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously we both missed that they worked in certain cases. Maybe there's an antenna missing or something? Get this: when I went to z06 sized rims with Yokoama AVS Sports, my front right sensor would get lost occasionally. With 2 sets of Kumho's, no problem. So maybe there is something with the receiver's sensitivity or something. I would find the receiver and see if there is an antenna on it.... check its condition to make sure it is in good shape.

- Colby
Old 01-24-2008, 02:03 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jjvet
Who has either had a prob. or no prob.when after installing sensors and prog.DIC getting a reading. Today alone I spent over 4 hours at my Chey dealer while they tried without success to get the damn things to transmit.If the sensors are in your hand or close to module I can,t remember either left or right wheel it will work.Otherwise forget it.I have busted my *** for 6 weeks trying to get closure with this prob.All replies are welcome but what I really would like to know is the success rate on a 04Z06 and how many times anyone has had trouble with module the one is also supposed to work door locks .They work.Thanks Jerome
Jerome,

Your explanation is a little unclear ..... it seems you are saying the car can read the sensor if it is in your hand, but not if it is in the wheel ??? Do you have stock wheels on the car, or third party wheels ??

The sensor system is pretty simple ... each sensor transmits a unique serial number .... just for the sake of arguement, let's assume the four sensors you have transmit 100, 200, 300, and 400 as their numbers.

Once they are installed in the wheel, holding a magnet over a sensor causes the sensor to "wake up" and transmit its serial number and tire pressure. When you put the car into "training mode" for the sensors, you go to the LF wheel and hold the magnet to the sensor. When the RFA receives that signal, it stores the information (say that is sensor #400) and commands the BCM to beep the horn. The DIC now displays TRAIN RF, and you then wake that sensor up with the magnet. Let's say that one is #200. You then go to the RR tire (say #100) and finally the LR (#300).

The RFA now has a list of the sensors and their locations that looks something like this ...

LF = 400
RF = 200
RR = 100
LR = 300

Now if sensor #100 sends a tire pressure that is "low", the RFA commands the DIC to display RIGHT REAR TIRE LOW.

That's why if you were to move wheels around on the car you need to reprogram the RFA with the new locations.

The RFA is simply a radio receiver. It receives the radio signals from your key fobs and the Tire Pressure sensors (TPMS). It either works, or it doesn't. What affects the RFA is the signal strength of the transmitter (key fob or TPMS). If the signal is weak or non-existant (you're 5 blocks from the car and hit UNLOCK on your key fob) the RFA can't process the signal.

So, it sounds like, from your description, that something is wrong with the signal your TPMS are transmitting. I can only guess that either:

1) The wheels are non-OEM and are interfering with the signal.

2) The sensors themselves are weak. Possibly they've been sitting on the dealer shelf for the last 5 years and are already weak.

3) The magnet the dealer is using is either not strong enough to "wake up" the sensor in the wheel (especially if it is a non-OEM wheel), or it is not being held long enough on the sensor. It takes, sometimes, 10 seconds or so after you put the magnet near the sensor (and keep it there) before the horn will sound.

If it is simply the magnet, what you could do is this ....

1) Mark the sensors so you can tell them apart (Write A,B,C,D on them, or mark them different colors).

2) Take one sensor near the car and put the car in "TPMS Train" mode.

3) Wake up the sensor with the magnet.

4) WRITE DOWN which sensor you just programmed as the LF ... say "A".

5) Bring the next sensor nerar the car and wake it with the magnet.

6) Do this until you have programmed the car for all 4 sensors.

7) Install sensors into wheels that are marked accordingly (pre-mark the wheels with letters, colors, whatever, to identify which sensor is in each wheel.

8) Now install the correct wheel at its correct location on the car. BE CERTAIN THE SENSOR IS LOCATED IN THE WHEEL LOCATION YOU PROGRAMMED IT FOR.

Now, drive the car for 5 minutes to wake up the sensors (they are motion sensative). and check on the DIC that you are getting tire pressure values. If you want to re-assure yourself that the sensors are in the correct locations, you could lower the pressure in a tire (say the RR) and see if the new "low" pressure is indicated for the correct wheel.

Good luck,

Old 01-24-2008, 10:28 AM
jjvet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C5B
Obviously we both missed that they worked in certain cases. Maybe there's an antenna missing or something? Get this: when I went to z06 sized rims with Yokoama AVS Sports, my front right sensor would get lost occasionally. With 2 sets of Kumho's, no problem. So maybe there is something with the receiver's sensitivity or something. I would find the receiver and see if there is an antenna on it.... check its condition to make sure it is in good shape.

- Colby
Thanks they have ordered module but by now I don,t think that will fix prob.I am just getting beat down by now.Most of this involves pulling wheel breaking tire down etc. Jerome
Old 01-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Russ K
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I helped my friend install the tire pressure sensors on his 04 ZO6, we couldn't perform the Tire Training procedure.
Then we found that there is an error in the 04 service manual. On step 6, the 04 manual omitted "Press the Reset button untill the IPC LEARN L FRONT TIRE message appears in order to begin the programming sequence". So we then used the 2001 Corvette service manual as shown here.

Russ Kemp
Old 01-24-2008, 02:41 PM
jjvet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Russ K
When I helped my friend install the tire pressure sensors on his 04 ZO6, we couldn't perform the Tire Training procedure.
Then we found that there is an error in the 04 service manual. On step 6, the 04 manual omitted "Press the Reset button untill the IPC LEARN L FRONT TIRE message appears in order to begin the programming sequence". So we then used the 2001 Corvette service manual as shown here.

Russ Kemp
Thanks Russ
I think I have found my prob.I went to see a tech. who's name is David Felcher who has a high rep. He had a tool that shows the sensors are trans. but rec. may or may not rec.Turns out for some damn reason my car does not have the module that other Z06's have.Is supposed to have two antennae and does not.I now believe when new part is installed it will work .It's been along road and no fun I hope this will save some poor soul a hassle .Hindsight is always 20/20 and it is so damn simple to reach inside left fender and see if you can feel the antennae but everyone assumes it.s the correct one and then it becomes a duuh moment Jerome
Old 01-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Russ K
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Never had to change the module on my friend's 04 ZO6, or my 01 ZO6 when installing the tire pressure sensors.

Russ Kemp
Old 01-24-2008, 03:33 PM
jjvet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Russ K
Never had to change the module on my friend's 04 ZO6, or my 01 ZO6 when installing the tire pressure sensors.

Russ Kemp
Consider you are one of lucky ones mine does not have antennae and is like trying to pick up distant radio with broke antennae .This is an easy check and I don't want anyone else to have this prob. I am trying to find out from plant how this happened Jerome
Old 01-24-2008, 04:55 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Consider you are one of lucky ones mine does not have antennae and is like trying to pick up distant radio with broke antennae .This is an easy check and I don't want anyone else to have this prob. I am trying to find out from plant how this happened Jerome
There is only one receiver listed for ALL 2001-2004 Corvettes, GM part number 10312535. Sounds like someone did "surgery" on yours if it is missing the antenna. There is no "fob only" receiver ..... the fobs and TPMS use the same radio frequency. If you have a receiver probem, then you probably have to be VERY close to the car for the key fob to work.

I hope the new receiver fixes the problem.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Certain tires (Goodyear F1s (non-EMT) are one) that use steel belts have been known to block the TPS's signals. What tires do you have?
Old 01-25-2008, 10:49 AM
jjvet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
Certain tires (Goodyear F1s (non-EMT) are one) that use steel belts have been known to block the TPS's signals. What tires do you have?
I have the orig. A tech. told me what you said But now in my case I either have a diff. receiver module or somehow antennae got broken off Jerome
Old 01-25-2008, 01:46 PM
jjvet
Burning Brakes

Read my post that starts KILL THE FATTED HOG I finally have working sensors
Old 01-25-2008, 10:14 PM
jjvet
Burning Brakes

Read my post that starts KILL THE FATTED HOG I finally have working sensors
ttt